Tabman10

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Shattering rear glass has been a Ford problem for a long time. I have dealt with it on the F150 side, where it is still too common. Be careful using the rear defrost too (if you live in cold areas), I've had mine burn up for no reason and plenty of people tying use to shattering rear windows. It would be interesting to know if Ford specs their rear windows to different standards than other OEMs...
Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford has a history with rear window failures. The F-Series trucks if you use the rear window defroster you are dancing with disaster.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After sitting open for several hours in the west Texas sun, mine exploded as I was closing it. May have bumped an awning pole…. but not completely sure it did.

Fortunately, when I returned to Houston, there was a replacement window in stock at one of the other Ford dealers. ”My” Ford dealer charged me around $2,200 to fix!!! This included the cost of one of the plastic hinge covers…$50.00 IIRC, as the “tech” who removed the first one obviously had no clue how to get it off and broke all of the retaining clips.

I would go to an auto glass vendor and get a replacement quote before going to a Ford Dealer.

wjtinfwb

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC, Excursion, Focus ST, Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Exploding glass is a relatively rare, but not unusual occurrence. My Gen 1 Focus SVT windshield didn't explode but while driving down a smooth surface street at about 40 mph i heard a very loud "bang" that sounded like a firecracker going off inside the car. Immediately a huge crack occurred at the bottom right corner of the glass which quickly spread across the glass. The car was 8 years old but garaged and in mint condition. I called Safelite, their tech who came out to replace said they see this more often than you might think. The small imperfections and bubbles in the glass from manufacturing can fracture, sometimes from heat/cold, sometimes the flex in the body or even a slight about of pressure, like washing the car. If Ford won't warranty it, I'd get a price from Safelite, they replaced the rear hatch glass (our fault) in our brand new Volvo XC90 a few years ago, ordered the glass from Volvo and did an excellent job installing it.

Sponsored

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux Pkg, 72 Ranchero GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you have it tinted? I’ve read on other forums that tinted glass shatters more than untinted glass. I certainly don’t have any proof, just what I’ve read.
Tint film will hold the glass together if it breaks.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
the rear window is made from tempered glass.

a small imperfection (usually during manufacture or installation) will cause the glass to spontaneously unload from the manufactured stressed state to an unstressed state.

my aunt's new subaru's rear window exploded while parked at my mom's house. replaced by the dealer at no cost
This ^ That's what tempered glass does if theres flaws in it. Could have happened during tempering, during installation or just happened. Does it suck, yes it does.

GloNDark

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Bronco Ranger & 2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have read a few other posts that suspected that the rear defroster failed and stayed on causing the glass to shatter.

Twister22

Badlands
First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor 1965 Mustang 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford won't warranty glass! My F150 Raptor rear glass exploded for no reason, Ford denied it!!

new to bronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Every time I close the tailgate, I see the glass flexing, can’t be good long term..
Sponsored