Sponsored

Recommendations for Compressor + Accessories?

21BroncoFlyer

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Land Rover Discovery
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Picked this Arb knock off on Amazon for $330 from a dare on here. Have it in tandem with my Arb (run dual duals) to a 3 gallon tank. Arb is under the hood, Knock off is under the rear of the truck. That knock off has been through hell under there. Been covered in mud, exposed to freezing temps, power washed multiple times. Still run like new.

Only differences, knock off has 100psi shut off, filters are the same minus Arb logo, fan stays on when powered up.

Have no issue recommending this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08G8NRWHW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title&th=1
Do you think this would mount to many of the under hood mounts available?
Sponsored

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you think this would mount to many of the under hood mounts available?
Itā€™s the exact same build and foot print as the Arb one. Visually just the air filters missing names, no serial number decal, and 2 bolt heads were a different color. Besides that I couldnā€™t tell a difference looking at them side by side. Wire harness is the same also.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'd appreciate people's thoughts and recommendations for a good compressor. I've already loaded up my Badlands Squatch with a lot of serious off-road gear, and it sure is getting expensive! I'm impressed with the ARB built-in gear, but I'm looking at $1,000 to get that bought, installed, and accessorized. I'll put that money up, if it's really worth it, but are there cheaper alternatives?

I'm not committed to a built-on, and could make do with good gear in box. My desire is to be able to reflate to pavement PSI in 15-20 minutes, 30 minutes max, preferably with a 4-tire rig. ARB seems to be the reference standard, but what about other makes? VIAIR, for instance? How about makes and models to avoid?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and expertise. If anybody knows of good Black Friday or Cyber Monday specials, so much the better!
Go with the ARB Twin Compressor and our KR Off-Road engine bay mount. They are on sale right now, 15% off once added to your cart:

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/kr-off-road-arb-compressor-engine-bay-mount-for-2021-ford-bronco/

Ford Bronco Recommendations for Compressor + Accessories? Compressor10

For the multi-flate system, go with the MORRFlate system: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/morrflate-quad-4-tires-up-to-125-wheelbase-1/

I'd also recommend this extension for the ARB: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/morrflate-7-5ft-extension-for-arb-compressors/

That's the same setup we run on our truck

Here's a little promo video we made demonstrating our KR Off-Road mounting system with the ARB Compressor and the MORRFlate multi-tire inflation kit:

OP
OP

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They're effectively the same thing. If you are able to get one go for it, but I always hear they are out of stock.
Go with the ARB Twin Compressor and our KR Off-Road engine bay mount. They are on sale right now, 15% off once added to your cart:

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/kr-off-road-arb-compressor-engine-bay-mount-for-2021-ford-bronco/

Compressor10.jpg

For the multi-flate system, go with the MORRFlate system: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/morrflate-quad-4-tires-up-to-125-wheelbase-1/

I'd also recommend this extension for the ARB: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/morrflate-7-5ft-extension-for-arb-compressors/

That's the same setup we run on our truck

Here's a little promo video we made demonstrating our KR Off-Road mounting system with the ARB Compressor and the MORRFlate multi-tire inflation kit:

Nice video--beach access in New England is rare, unless you're local and/or pay a hefty beach access permit. Heck, even on-pavement parking is $$$! šŸ˜” I'm looking at the NAPA MaxiTrak. A few posters have spoken highly of it.
The ARB compressor is still a bit pricey for me, but I like your Black Friday prices on the MorrFlate gear. Any additional discounting for veterans or law enforcement? How about rebuilds or open-box returns? (This hobby is getting awfully expensive!)

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nice video--beach access in New England is rare, unless you're local and/or pay a hefty beach access permit. Heck, even on-pavement parking is $$$! šŸ˜” I'm looking at the NAPA MaxiTrak. A few posters have spoken highly of it.
The ARB compressor is still a bit pricey for me, but I like your Black Friday prices on the MorrFlate gear. Any additional discounting for veterans or law enforcement? How about rebuilds or open-box returns? (This hobby is getting awfully expensive!)
Honestly you get what you pay for. The NAPA is cheap for a reason. It's a poorly made chinese compressor that's bulky and you have to find somewhere to store it. Yeah it's cheap. Yeah it'll do the job. But there is just nothing like a compressor under the hood ready to go. And 15% off is a KILLER deal. It's our best deal of the year.

There is no BF on moorflate, that 15% off is on the arb compressor. What would normally cost you around $897.34 (mounting bracket, compressor, coupler) now costs you only $747.44

That's a KILLER kit price.

Sponsored
OP
OP

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same here, smittybuilt 5cfm around $150. Fills my 37ā€™s in 10-15 minutes for all four. Not as fast a the twin ARB but good enough.
Based on a few posts here, and a review (below) the Smittybilt looks good, except that it uses proprietary fittings. OTOH, I came across a seller who puts together a Smittybilt 2781 and provides their own in-house 4-way hose setup for $330. Considering most people are charging around $190 for the 2781, and $150 and up for a 4-way, this strikes me as a pretty good deal. One thing I've learned is that you can spend--or waste--an awful lot of time searching for a slightly better bargain.

https://trail4runner.com/2018/06/12/smittybilt-2781-5-65-cfm-air-compressor-review/

https://www.thrashedoffroad.com/pro...r-with-smittybilt-2781-5-56cfm-air-compressor

Looking over the thrashedoffroad site, they also have a 6.36 cfm "Mean Mother" compressor for $30 more, also with the 4-way delivery. That has its appeal, not for the extra horsepower, but for the use of standard fittings, if so. Should something fail, I'd just as soon run to Harbor Freight for a fix than have to go on-line and search for a proprietary part.

350vudu

Raptor
First Name
350vudu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2019 Ducati V4S Corse
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Honestly you get what you pay for. The NAPA is cheap for a reason. It's a poorly made chinese compressor that's bulky and you have to find somewhere to store it. Yeah it's cheap. Yeah it'll do the job. But there is just nothing like a compressor under the hood ready to go. And 15% off is a KILLER deal. It's our best deal of the year.

There is no BF on moorflate, that 15% off is on the arb compressor. What would normally cost you around $897.34 (mounting bracket, compressor, coupler) now costs you only $747.44

That's a KILLER kit price.
Is there a deal on the compressor itself? Getting a raptor so the bracket has no use for me as it wonā€™t work with mounting in a raptor.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is there a deal on the compressor itself? Getting a raptor so the bracket has no use for me as it wonā€™t work with mounting in a raptor.
No we can't discount a compressor by itself. We can only discount our complete kit w/KR Off-Road Mounting Bracket.

PM me and we can discuss pricing though.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had enough Ford pass points to pick up the Ford Performance portable ARB (single) compressor. I was a little worried it would be undersized badly compared to the dual. I had 0 issues airing back up so far. I do give it a break and have not hit the duty cycle cut off but have aired up my 33's to 35psi from 15-18psi in the time it took my buddies to load up their side by sides.

I built my own 4 tire inflator and put a post here with the parts and costs.

The ARB single is fine for my needs and better quality than others. Plus 0 out of pocket cost with points was a trade off but worth the sacrifice IMHO. The dual ARB is of course better but not a deal breaker.

I hope to mount my single at some point. The portability is nice too though.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I came across Thors Lightning Fast Air systems, based in Colorado and founded by two retired cops. Their "Thor's Lightning True Dual Air Compressor looks like a NAPA on steroids: they claim it puts out 10.6 cfm. They also have their own in-house multi-tire air systems.

What appeals to me is that they have their own mount (for hardtop Broncos only!) that positions the compressor over the right rear wheel well, and is then hard-wired for power. I'm a bit skittish about cramming more gear under the hood (I know it's very popular), and this looks like a practical solution for permanent installation without getting exotic: I've read of under-the-vehicle installs, and inside-the-spare-tire-rack.

Right now they have a Black Friday-Cyber Monday sale, 20%, which strikes me as pretty generous. The promotion that appeals to me the most is their "Lightning" 10.6 cfm compressor, with the install rack, and the multi-tire delivery setup for $536.

Here's the link to their site, and two images: 1) the combo package I just described, and 2) the install rack (without the compressor):

https://thorslightningairsystems.com/

Ford Bronco Recommendations for Compressor + Accessories? 1669616584951

Ford Bronco Recommendations for Compressor + Accessories? 1669616625805

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Elias Brown, owner of Thors Lightning-Fast Air Systems, has been very responsive to a few email inquiries I sent him, as I'm still on the learning curve here. This hobby is getting pretty expensive, and I need to get my best value, balancing economy against the problem of unreliable gear out in the boondocks. I learned that lesson when my bargain RhinoUSA recovery boards failed in some gooey Utah mud. In response to my question,

" How is your Thor compressor different from the NAPA, anyway? I gather Morrflate took the NAPA, and back-engineered it or something, and got a bit more kick (or something). Is that what you did?" Elias replied,

"Our compressor is way different than the NAPA unit internally. We actually use our own circuit board and wiring- what that does is make our compressor more reliable, and in my opinion, way better built. Weā€™ve had ZERO compressor failures. Compare that to what is out there on the NAPA compressor and some of our competitors, and thatā€™s what sets us apart. Just to be clear- our compressorā€™s performance is identical to NAPA because ultimately the cylinders are still 30MM in size with the same size motor. However, we use thicker metal for our cylinder walls, and far better material for the gaskets. In the end, our compressor performs the exact same with added longevity and reliability- thatā€™s why we offer a 1 year warranty on our unit."

I think I've made my decision. Their CyberMonday promo is 20% off.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just bought, so I haven't used it yet, but I got the Viair450P, I'm wondering if I over spent, but then I read about connectors and such and back orders and I feel I do good. I would love to hear from anyone who has same or a Viair 300. I went with the Viair because of the 100% cycle time (1 hour) it's a little slower, but runs longer and has auto shut off when not airing. I spent $279.60 which I thought for the auto off and 100% cycle time along with the fitting, hoses and a nice inflation gun trigger it was worth it.

Did I do good? or should I have just gone with one of the $160 ones above?

OP
OP

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just bought, so I haven't used it yet, but I got the Viair450P, I'm wondering if I over spent, but then I read about connectors and such and back orders and I feel I do good. I would love to hear from anyone who has same or a Viair 300. I went with the Viair because of the 100% cycle time (1 hour) it's a little slower, but runs longer and has auto shut off when not airing. I spent $279.60 which I thought for the auto off and 100% cycle time along with the fitting, hoses and a nice inflation gun trigger it was worth it.

Hope it works out for you. You did good in that 1) you thought through your decision, 2) found a price which works for you, and 3)didn't shell out for the go-to (but high priced) ARB that so many rave about.
So sure, get opinions, but the thing is to find some rocky terrain and try it out for yourself. Can't wait for my Thor Lightning to arrive and give it a try. What I like about mine is that I can install it over the right rear tire for on-board service, or remove it for storage and reduce weight and exposure to theft, etc. at other times.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The ViAIR works fine. It's going to be SLOW but it'll do the job. The ARB is really fast, but it's a lot more $$ (even with our 15% discount right now).

We stock the ViAIR 400P and 400P Automatic at our shop. They are good for someone who doesn't plan to air up/down a lot and doesn't mind waiting.

We're finding most folks are spending the extra $$ on an ARB portable kit that we sell OR the Bronco community, just goes for the on-board ARB.

But that 450P should do just fine for you.

Blue Steel

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Elias Brown, owner of Thors Lightning-Fast Air Systems, has been very responsive to a few email inquiries I sent him, as I'm still on the learning curve here. This hobby is getting pretty expensive, and I need to get my best value, balancing economy against the problem of unreliable gear out in the boondocks. I learned that lesson when my bargain RhinoUSA recovery boards failed in some gooey Utah mud. In response to my question,

" How is your Thor compressor different from the NAPA, anyway? I gather Morrflate took the NAPA, and back-engineered it or something, and got a bit more kick (or something). Is that what you did?" Elias replied,

"Our compressor is way different than the NAPA unit internally. We actually use our own circuit board and wiring- what that does is make our compressor more reliable, and in my opinion, way better built. Weā€™ve had ZERO compressor failures. Compare that to what is out there on the NAPA compressor and some of our competitors, and thatā€™s what sets us apart. Just to be clear- our compressorā€™s performance is identical to NAPA because ultimately the cylinders are still 30MM in size with the same size motor. However, we use thicker metal for our cylinder walls, and far better material for the gaskets. In the end, our compressor performs the exact same with added longevity and reliability- thatā€™s why we offer a 1 year warranty on our unit."

I think I've made my decision. Their CyberMonday promo is 20% off.
I've been looking at Thor's Lightning Air System also. How is it working out for you?
Sponsored