Sponsored

Recommendations for Compressor + Accessories?

OP
OP

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just installed it Saturday, using their "Refuge" mounting system which bolts over the right rear wheel well. In my 4-door, it uses the bolts which secure the hardtop, something to consider if you plan on taking the MIC off on occasion. My conclusions are tentative:

1) a powerful motor. Like Tricky Dick's, Morflate, and others, it's a twin (maybe with adaptations) of the NAPA 2-cylinder.
Discussions of its variants in other threads have suggested you not run these NAPAs on single tires, as it will build up back pressure on the pump causing, over time, excessive pressure and wear on it. I had a conversation with Elias Brown about this, and he said not to worry, his variant can handle it. I hope his confidence is valid, but we won't know for a few years of single-tire use, will we?

I had a friend with a flat on a small Kia, and it jacked the pressure up to about 75 lbs in just a few seconds. (The puncture didn't allow for short-term repressurizing.) To err on the side of caution, I'll limit my use to 4-way hose setups as much as possible.

2) Because these NAPAs are so powerful, it may be wise to use a 2-man procedure: one to monitor the pressure gauge on the manifold, and the other at the on-off switch. My installer is putting a remote on, so I can stand by (literally) the manifold/gauge and control the switch from there. If you keep it portable (battery clamps), then you're probably at the front of your truck with machine and hose connections all in one place. From the rear-mounted refuge, you'll use the 8-foot extension hose (provided) to the manifold to the 4-way hose rig.

3) I thought it would be nice to just "park" the compressor in the "Refuge" mounting cage so I could remove it for storage or use elsewhere. It's really strapped in tight, but it does rattle, so I'm going to use the provided fittings and bolt it in permanently. I'll get back to you on whether that solves the rattle. I know of no other permanent Bronco install for the NAPA/variants. The only other option is one of the ARB installs, but you're looking at $1,000 or so, and we're not even talking hoses unless your install shop includes them as part of a package.

4) The Thor (valve) chucks snap on but detach with a small button, which can be a little temperamental: sometimes they need a little wiggling to get off. A friend of mine finds that too big a nuisance, I just wiggle them, no problem.

5) I have had trouble with the manifold/gauge/hose valve: it delivered air to both tires on one side, but just the rear tire on the other. Elias Brown, owner, is sending me a replacement. He's been very accessible and responsive. I'll post an addendum when I have had a chance to test it out.

6) They have two sales a year. I got mine on Black Friday at 20% off, the next will be Memorial Day (I think--maybe Independence Day? Check), but Elias says it's not that generous. They shipped it free and interestingly I wasn't charged my state sales tax. Maybe they're negligent or just flying beneath the radar on that.

So there you have it. This is the time to buy -- and test out --- all your off-road stuff. Your first experience with gear should never be on the trail. Happy wheeling!
Sponsored

OP
OP

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been looking at Thor's Lightning Air System also. How is it working out for you?
ThorsLightning resolved two problems, and I'm now giving it a full, confident recommendation. The problems were 1) problems with the valve chucks, and 2) a defective manifold. Elias Brown, co-owner, was responsive with emails and phone conversations in getting these straightened out, and sent me replacement chucks and a new manifold. All good now.

I've had it up and running a couple of times. It deflates and reinflates fast, very fast, somewhere between 2 and 3 minutes each procedure. Also, Elias states that they have reconfigured the NAPA base product so that it's not subject to excessive back-pressure when airing just one tire.

Next week I'm doing the intermediate Ma Bell Trail in Northampton, Massachusetts, and getting my Cape Cod National Seashore beach-access permit, so I'm psyched! I'll revisit this thread with a report.

Their next sale will be Memorial Day.

OP
OP

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ThorsLightning resolved two problems, and I'm now giving it a full, confident recommendation. The problems were 1) problems with the valve chucks, and 2) a defective manifold. Elias Brown, co-owner, was responsive with emails and phone conversations in getting these straightened out, and sent me replacement chucks and a new manifold. All good now.

I've had it up and running a couple of times. It deflates and reinflates fast, very fast, somewhere between 2 and 3 minutes each procedure. Also, Elias states that they have reconfigured the NAPA base product so that it's not subject to excessive back-pressure when airing just one tire.

Next week I'm doing the intermediate Ma Bell Trail in Northampton, Massachusetts, and getting my Cape Cod National Seashore beach-access permit, so I'm psyched! I'll revisit this thread with a report.

Their next sale will be Memorial Day.
Update: I posted this info on another thread, but here goes. A few more runs, a few more times on the Thors compressor. From 25 to 38 lbs in about 3 3/4 minutes on stock Sasquatch 35-inch Goodyear Territories.
From 12 pounds up:
1 min to 17 psi
2 min to 22 psi
3 min to 34 psi
4 min to 38 psi
6 min to 39.8 psi

Leaving the air-down lot, I was 38 psi on my two left and 40 on my two right, which equalized to 39 +/- 1 lb on the drive to Boston.

Incidentally, the National Park Service previously recommended 12 psi, now they require 11 on the Cape Cod National Seashore. It was a chilly and wet day, nobody around, so I played like Steve McQueen in "The Thomas Crown Affair" (minus driving the car through the surf). 55mph in Baja!

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Update: I posted this info on another thread, but here goes. A few more runs, a few more times on the Thors compressor. From 25 to 38 lbs in about 3 3/4 minutes on stock Sasquatch 35-inch Goodyear Territories.
Is this for one tire or for four tires?

If that's for one, not as good as the SmittyBilt. If it's for four, then significantly faster.

OP
OP

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is this for one tire or for four tires?

If that's for one, not as good as the SmittyBilt. If it's for four, then significantly faster.
four tires with 4-way hose hookup
Sponsored