Sponsored

Portable air compressor recommendations?

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I do not want to install a permanent air compressor in my vehicle so I am looking for a portable one. I am looking at the VIAIR 400P. Does anyone use this model? And if so, what has been your experience with it? Looking for recommendations for what other folks are using. Appreciate any feedback.
We stock the 400P actually

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/air-compressors/

We stock the 400P and the 400P Automatic. Basically same compressor but the automatic has a built in pressure switch so that when the pressure builds up (between airing up) it'll turn the compressor off. The normal 400P does not have that, which means you have to turn the compressor off between tires (annoying, easiest method is to zip tie your chuck open).

We also sell the ARB Portable compressors.

The 400P do the job. They are slower then an ARB Twin but will do the job. Figure on a 400P a 35" tire will take about 5-7 minutes. An ARB Single takes about 3 minutes. An ARB Twin takes about 1 minute.

VERY popular here on Long Island, especially during the summer, when the fisherman hit the beach again.
Sponsored

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I do not want to install a permanent air compressor in my vehicle so I am looking for a portable one. I am looking at the VIAIR 400P. Does anyone use this model? And if so, what has been your experience with it? Looking for recommendations for what other folks are using. Appreciate any feedback.
To echo others, I also use the DeWalt since I have a ton of their batteries. It can also use a cigarette lighter or 120V, so it's pretty versatile. It isn't the fastest in the world, but isn't painfully slow. Just under 5 minutes to go from 28 to 39 psi per tire on battery power. It also has a set and forget feature so you can walk away.

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Defender, 2022 Outerbanks SAS, 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm glad you posted this, I was thinking about the same thing. I don't want to hook up to the battery though, I have a standard household 110 plug in the back and would like to use that. Seems all linked ones are 12v to the battery.

Any plug in recommendations?

baracus

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Raptor, Jeep Wagonneer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the ARB Twin in the hard case with the 1 gallon air tank. Airs up my Raptor's 35 inch tires from 20 to 40psi in less than 1 minute 15 seconds each if I recall correctly (it's been a couple months since I've aired down). It can also rebead a tire because the air tank provides an initial 120psi blast. It's bulky and expensive but awesome. The air tank also fills up between chucking tires which accelerates the inflation. Being able to air up 4 tires in less than 5 minutes is pretty awesome.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the 300p and it does my 33s pretty quick. The NAPA twin compressor and it’s siblings seem to be the best for the $, but I am satisfied with the Viair.

Sponsored

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve had the Viair 400P for years and it shows no signs of decline. For me it’s a balance of function, reliability, cost and packed size. I’ve long debated installing an OBA system but always come back to telling myself to keep it simple. If and when my 400P kicks the bucket I’ll probably buy another or check out the 440P if it fits inside my air up / tire repair box.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’ve got one from Ironman 4x4, the 5.56 cfm. I’ve used it a few times and it works good. Paid less than $150 if i remember correctly on sale.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought, but have neither installed nor used yet, the Thor Lightening, out of Colorado. It's a 300 lpm dual compressor that looks like a souped-up 300 lpm [NAPA] MaxiTrac (which is often hard to get) which looks (to me) like the unit for which many others are rebranded. I took advantage of a Black Friday 20% deal, and got their 2-cylindar compressor, 8-foot extension hose, 4-way tire hook up, and all pneumatic and electrical * fittings, plus bags and covers for $565. "Thor" is a small outfit, and I appreciated that the owner answered my email inquiries promptly and personally. I also like their "Refuge" mount (included in their bundle), which goes over the right rear wheel well and hugs the right rear side window-- underutilized cargo space.

Owner Elias Brown told me that have two sales a year, so you just missed one. Write and find out about the other, and maybe you can swing a deal. A very complete package, worth checking out.

https://thorslightningairsystems.co...aRwuKqNIqi-1a6BMUK_11DCXaTm2ujT4aAn7YEALw_wcB

The compressor is inside the powder-coated steel molle mounting cage, and not very visible.

Ford Bronco Portable air compressor recommendations? 1670790420624-

*As received, it came with alligator clips, but wiring for a permanent install was also included.

865Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMB Badsquatch, Land Rover LR3, Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had one of these but returned it. It took way to long to inflate my 35 inch tires. I also had trouble connecting to the tire valve.. The valves seats are very short from the wheel. The Moorflte kits fit without needing any extenders on the tire valves.
I ended up getting the Moorflate compresserand 4 tire kit.
That compressor can ONLY do 4 tires at a time. You can also deflate all 4 at a time with the quad kit. https://morrflate.com/shop/air-sour...-tensix-portable-12v-off-road-air-compressor/
The inflate kits are sold by length if you have a 2 door or 4.
I didn't get the built in gauge but it would be useful because you have to watch the Tire Pressure Moniting system on the bronco dash, which is delayed in showing the readings so I often overfill slightly. I probably would get the gauge now.
I hope this is helpfull
I’ve got the Morrflate with the gauge and I couldn’t be more pleased. I’d highly recommend Morrflate. Air down quickly and then air all four up from 15/16 psi to 35/36 psi in under five minutes.

95717470-2977-4F20-B6DA-B38E49F7874D.jpeg

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you or anyone else is interested in a Trickflate they are now live on my website, shipping out tomorrow.
If my 400P ever gives up the ghost I'll be looking this way for a twin compressor :cool:

grant318is

Badlands
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs