First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Rhino has some good stuff, sadly, they have one "Bronco" specific that is sold out. Of course, all they did was get items for the same rated capacity and bundle them. You can look at several kits, and purchase items individually, or in a package deal, most times at a little savings. This is a decent looking little kit tho.

https://rhinousainc.com/products/big-truck-extreme-kit
Sponsored

JohnnyX

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is great thread with great info. I have the basics which I have never had to use yet.

Two front hard shackles,
One rear hitch hard shackles
Two 32000 lb soft shackles
One 30' x 2-3/8" 17600lb recovery snatch strap
One line dampener

Is a kinetic rope also recommended and why if so? Or is it either/or?

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am an off-roading noob. There's some places for muddin, some wood trails, and fire roads around me.

I was looking through most recovery kits, and it seems like a lot do not have kinetic ropes, but straps of the length you're suggesting instead, like the FP:

https://accessories.ford.com/produc...35&nosto=productpage-nosto-1-fallback-nosto-1

Are these correct examples?
Are there specific brands to purchase or avoid? It seems like 7/16" soft shackles are kinda pricey unless I'm misunderstanding. I see lots of soft ones of different sizes and metal ones for less money?

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/smitt...t-d-ring-shackle-black-13049b/_/R-DSBP-13049B

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/smitt...e-charcoal-gray-rope-13051-b/_/R-DSBP-13051-B
Don’t don’t don’t cheap out. Ever. ;)

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
We don't really know what the factory recovery points are rated, assumption is they are made with quality steel. So I would put them in the 40-50,000lb category. The first time someone manages to remove it will be interesting to dig into.

However,
Rear mounting Points are mounted by 2 10.9 M14 bolts if I remember correctly will need to check size but I know they are 10.9. So 26977lb per bolt in tensile load so I am guessing in the 50,000lb area or so. Even with 46,000 soft shackles you should be good. This is basic guess-estimation engineering.
According to Monster Hooks Inc. as to the strength of the rear side recovery points:

I assume they used a jig of similar construction to emulate the vehicle mounting point (as opposed to an actual vehicle). The OEM bolts were the failure point (with MHI Rock Ring soft shackle loops NOT the factory steel rings) and they failed at around 35,000 lb. They then tried Grade 8 bolts, perhaps hoping for an upgrade, but those failed at around 30,000 lb.

Kach Vartan

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Before I stumbled on this thread, I purchased last year the Go Rhino 4" x 30' recovery strap (claimed 40,000 lb break strength) and their larger hard shackles (claimed 70,000 lb break strength). The latter were admittedly for show and sit on the front recovery mounts full time.

I saw some earlier posts stating that the front and recovery points are probably around 40,000 lb break strength. If that's the case, it seems like using the 4" strap is probably right at the borderline. Better to downgrade to a 3" strap with a lower rating? Or can I just use lower rated soft shackles (e.g., 30,000) and make that the weakest point?

It's too late to return the 4" strap so hoping I can still use in a safe manner. Either way, it seems it's best not to use the hard shackles at all (they can just serve the automotive equivalent of earrings).

Sponsored
OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

According to Monster Hooks Inc. as to the strength of the rear side recovery points:

I assume they used a jig of similar construction to emulate the vehicle mounting point (as opposed to an actual vehicle). The OEM bolts were the failure point (with MHI Rock Ring soft shackle loops NOT the factory steel rings) and they failed at around 35,000 lb. They then tried Grade 8 bolts, perhaps hoping for an upgrade, but those failed at around 30,000 lb.
Also understand that the design is different and is more of a lever on the front bolt. Fyi I think those mounts are a bad idea as aluminum is much softer and easier to sharpen on rocks.

Before I stumbled on this thread, I purchased last year the Go Rhino 4" x 30' recovery strap (claimed 40,000 lb break strength) and their larger hard shackles (claimed 70,000 lb break strength). The latter were admittedly for show and sit on the front recovery mounts full time.

I saw some earlier posts stating that the front and recovery points are probably around 40,000 lb break strength. If that's the case, it seems like using the 4" strap is probably right at the borderline. Better to downgrade to a 3" strap with a lower rating? Or can I just use lower rated soft shackles (e.g., 30,000) and make that the weakest point?

It's too late to return the 4" strap so hoping I can still use in a safe manner. Either way, it seems it's best not to use the hard shackles at all (they can just serve the automotive equivalent of earrings).
Tree saver, winch line extension, or jump rope! Big straps where a big thing for a while. Out at the dunes it was all the rage to have a 6" to 12" wide strap to pull people out. This does predate the kinetic rope by 5-10 years. I would use it, your just now more knowledgeable on the consequences.

Kach Vartan

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Also understand that the design is different and is more of a lever on the front bolt. Fyi I think those mounts are a bad idea as aluminum is much softer and easier to sharpen on rocks.

Tree saver, winch line extension, or jump rope! Big straps where a big thing for a while. Out at the dunes it was all the rage to have a 6" to 12" wide strap to pull people out. This does predate the kinetic rope by 5-10 years. I would use it, your just now more knowledgeable on the consequences.
Thanks. Would you recommend a lower break strength soft shackle? Something in the 30000 lb range?

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My point was more on the additional strength data of a recovery point on the vehicle, which are even harder to get than on recovery gear.

Of course the design is different. Personally , I chose these for that reason; for improved departure angle, soft shackle only and for aesthetics. Ard you award that these Ard 7075-T6, which ax a highef yield and ultimate than low carbon steels? Thus, I doubt they will abrade worse. I highly doubt the mounting differences will significantly alter the bolt strength as compared to the large factory "loops".

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks. Would you recommend a lower break strength soft shackle? Something in the 30000 lb range?
I am rethinking a few things right now based on yesterdays evens. I am still a firm believer in keeping the shackles stronger than the strap. Even if exceeding the mount strength.

RowsKing

Raptor
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BRaptor, 66 Stang
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Do you guys seriously trust these factory loops which aren’t stamped with a rating and are NOT completely welded on both sides?

IMG_0218.jpeg

IMG_0217.jpeg

Sponsored

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you guys seriously trust these factory loops which aren’t stamped with a rating and are NOT completely welded on both sides?

Ford Bronco Recovery gear deep dive: shackles, straps and kinetic ropes, what to buy! IMG_0217

Ford Bronco Recovery gear deep dive: shackles, straps and kinetic ropes, what to buy! IMG_0217
A lot more than any aftermarket bumper. Have not seen one fail yet, as for aftermarket bumpers 4 so far. Haven’t seen a car manufacturer stamp a rating on there recovery points in a long time, even my semi truck don’t say a rating anymore.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Despite replacing mine (see just above), I definitely trust the strength of these rings. They are beefy. I'm sure the engineer looked at the need to weld a single side vs. both. Every part of a factory vehicle has real engineering. In direct contrast is a huge swath of the off road aftermarket world where the real Engineering is significantly lacking to simply absent.

Again, see comment above on aftermarket bumper failures...

AndGerry

Wildtrak
First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GMC Acadia Denali
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@Snacktime Thanks for starting the thread. The insights you ang others have shared are definitely helpful to noobs like me before we go off the deep end. Like many have alluded to, frequency of use is definitely one of the considerations that has to count.

EL in NH

Base
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Basesquatch, 2005 HD springer,2010 sporty
Your Bronco Model
Base

IMG_0218.jpeg

IMG_0217.jpeg
I'm probably older than most on this forum. People of my generation mostly consider these tie down points, as in strap it on the trailer ; not recovery points.
Sponsored