L. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wranglet
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Thanks for all the feedback. Yea, I realize there was a lot to unpack. The analysis paralysis is spot on. I guess that is what happens when Ford decides to offer 7 packages and there are positives and negatives to each. I wish it was more -“a-la-cart”, but that isn’t so. It isn’t like buying a 72 Pinto. They vehicles expensive, no real negotiating on price (if you are even lucky enough to buy at sticker) and a lot of variables. BTW - I’m all in on a Bronco. Have ‘12 Wrangler Sport, so any of them are a step up. Just weighing options and seeing if others went through multiple order changes.
Sponsored

Steve62

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Last week I ordered a 22 outer banks with most of the options- lux, hard top, moulded bumper & tow. Decided not to go with leather because I want to ride around in the summer with the roof off and don’t wanna get burned on the leather seats (plus sticker shock is setting in as this is already way more expensive than my wife expected). Roast cloth looks good in the photos, but not sure if it has power seats (the sales manager said “I’m sure it comes with a $50k+ car” 🤷‍♂️). Not really thrilled with the Outer Banks wheels and don’t need the Sasquatch package for the extra money. I really like the looks of the 33s on the badlands as it is more aggressive, but I guess I’m stuck or I’ll have to change to the badlands and not get some of the amenities of the OB (carpet, momochrome mirrors, handles etc). However, I went back to the dealer about the advanced 4WD. I won’t be doing much off road if any, but I live in Connecticut and we get snow, so I figure that is a good feature. But is it, and is it worth the extra $$? It looks like it changes the from the 3.7 ratio w/ open axel to the 4.27 locking rear. Can you get the auto without this? Am I better off with one over the other, assuming I probably won’t do much off road, but still want something good in the snow? Am I buying stuff I don’t really need? Do I go back again before it is too late and change the order (..and save a few thousand)? I know, there is a lot to unpack here, so amy help would be welcome
I live in Connecticut too. Yesterday I picked up a 4 door Big Bend with a manual transmission. I traded in a Grand Cherokee and have had my share of SUV's ranging from Suburbans to Wranglers. I've only been driving my Big Bend for about a day, but I have no doubt it will handle the snow we get here and in Vermont better than any vehicle I've ever owned. I wouldn't sweat your choice.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I simply fell into the “ model = options” trap. In reality the OBX should be my Bronco. Except, the interiors are not to my liking and the standard wheels are pedestrian. Even if I add the SAS I still wind up with a total cost ( after all the other wanted options plus lux) that is residing in the Bad Lands neighborhood. It is true I could add wheels to the OBX but after several thousand dollars I would still be living with the interior. I don’t need SAS ( The OBX demands the SAS)so a standard BL provides me with a sweet interior and satisfactory wheel set up. If this was going to be totally MY vehicle, I would get the BD SAS.

Colorado buff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner 2000, Mini Cooper convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I simply fell into the “ model = options” trap. In reality the OBX should be my Bronco. Except, the interiors are not to my liking and the standard wheels are pedestrian. Even if I add the SAS I still wind up with a total cost ( after all the other wanted options plus lux) that is residing in the Bad Lands neighborhood. It is true I could add wheels to the OBX but after several thousand dollars I would still be living with the interior. I don’t need SAS ( The OBX demands the SAS)so a standard BL provides me with a sweet interior and satisfactory wheel set up. If this was going to be totally MY vehicle, I would get the BD SAS.
It’s tough between BD, outerbanks and badlands. If BD had high package will be easy. Decision

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Last week I ordered a 22 outer banks with most of the options- lux, hard top, moulded bumper & tow. Decided not to go with leather because I want to ride around in the summer with the roof off and don’t wanna get burned on the leather seats (plus sticker shock is setting in as this is already way more expensive than my wife expected). Roast cloth looks good in the photos, but not sure if it has power seats (the sales manager said “I’m sure it comes with a $50k+ car” 🤷‍♂️). Not really thrilled with the Outer Banks wheels and don’t need the Sasquatch package for the extra money. I really like the looks of the 33s on the badlands as it is more aggressive, but I guess I’m stuck or I’ll have to change to the badlands and not get some of the amenities of the OB (carpet, momochrome mirrors, handles etc). However, I went back to the dealer about the advanced 4WD. I won’t be doing much off road if any, but I live in Connecticut and we get snow, so I figure that is a good feature. But is it, and is it worth the extra $$? It looks like it changes the from the 3.7 ratio w/ open axel to the 4.27 locking rear. Can you get the auto without this? Am I better off with one over the other, assuming I probably won’t do much off road, but still want something good in the snow? Am I buying stuff I don’t really need? Do I go back again before it is too late and change the order (..and save a few thousand)? I know, there is a lot to unpack here, so amy help would be welcome
I feel like I was in a similar situation during my order process.

After learning about the Bronco on this site, I was under the assumption that a BL Sas was a typical build and looked great in video reviews and photos. When I finally got to drive a Sasquatch dealer mannequin, I nearly laughed out loud at the sheer size of the truck. Don't get me wrong it was AWESOME and I had a blast during the test drive, but it put in perspective what actually worked for my family and what fun meant to me.

My point is something being "aggressive" enough might be something you actually want or you could be getting into your own head. The only person who can really decide what you need is you. If you want advice, mine is to spend $$ on powertrain and things that can't be easily upgraded. If you really can't live with the rubber on the OBX, there are plenty of people installing badass upgrades for you to mimic. As far as driving in the snow, I bet you'd be fine having part-time with 4A being more of a luxury. Don't forget how capable these vehicles are out of the box.

I ordered an OBX for my family because it allows easy egress for my two young girls and it will be livable w/ creature comforts (Lux & Road oriented tires) for the occasional long distance drives. Can't wait for the first open top ride with the kids. We will be blasting radio Disney with the top off in our non-aggressive OBX!

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
This. The “buy something else” opinions might be well intentioned but are garbage. The overwhelming majority of people who buy broncos will do nothing that a rav4 can’t do, same as people who buy wranglers and pickup trucks. Hell same can be said for people who buy performance cars, most won’t do anything that you can’t do in a Miata but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t buy a 911 if that’s what you want (and can afford). He like most of us want a top off SUV, which leaves two options.

OP, the nice part about the Bronco is you have a ton of different trims and options, the downside is it can lead to analysis paralysis. I would drop the leather, and add the advanced 4 wheel drive. The locker will help resale, and living in RI I have the same winters as you. 4A will be very helpful with the snow as roads can transition from pavement to snow depending on plowing. What you’ll save with dropping the leather and selling your wheels/tires as takeoffs can get you enough money to buy a nice set of wheels/tires to make it your own.
Whether or not most people buy things for the image, there are people who buy things more for the actual functionalities. It might seem like "garbage" advice to you, but you're going to potentially get different advice from each side of the coin.

Meaning, I'm likely not going to advise someone get high clearance, diff locks, sway bar disconnects, etc ... if they realistically have little or no real use for those functionalities. In general, I'm not a fan of buying things to get a kind of illusion or veneer of something, rather than actually doing that something.

But sure, if a person will get significant use of the removable top, or the various components that separate Bronco from the alternatives, go for it. Bronco should be great for that stuff.
Sponsored