Sponsored

Replacing 4” speakers on the dash and rear pods.

Christoefur

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not an expert by any means, but, I'm a little hesitant to put coaxial speakers in both the kick panels and the dash. I would think two sets of tweeters in the front (dash and kick panels) would not be as clear/precise as just one set of tweeters in the dash. I was thinking one of 2 things: either components in the front with tweeters taking the place of the 4" dash speakers, or, just woofers in the kick panels and 4" coaxials in the dash. (Use a component system woofer with the crossover, but, don't use the tweeter at all, rely on the tweeter from a 4" coax dash speaker)
I might just start with the component set in the front first, with the tweeter in the place of the 4" dash speaker and see how that goes. I can always buy a 4" later if I don't like the way it sounds.
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm not an expert by any means, but, I'm a little hesitant to put coaxial speakers in both the kick panels and the dash. I would think two sets of tweeters in the front (dash and kick panels) would not be as clear/precise as just one set of tweeters in the dash. I was thinking one of 2 things: either components in the front with tweeters taking the place of the 4" dash speakers, or, just woofers in the kick panels and 4" coaxials in the dash. (Use a component system woofer with the crossover, but, don't use the tweeter at all, rely on the tweeter from a 4" coax dash speaker)
I might just start with the component set in the front first, with the tweeter in the place of the 4" dash speaker and see how that goes. I can always buy a 4" later if I don't like the way it sounds.

I have Morel Maximo Ultra Coax 402 Mk II across the dash and Morel Maximo Ultra Coax 602 Mk II in the kick panels. It sounds great, I would totally do it again.

I did the 4" speakers first and then did the 6" speakers a week later. It was definitely an upgrade on my B&O system, both times.

Squatchn'

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BaseSquatch, 2021 Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
To my ear most of the sound that is heard while sitting in the driver seat is coming from the dash speakers. For that reason I would suggest 2-way coaxials in the dash and go with woofers in the kick panel if you don't want to double up on tweeters. I went with 2-ways in both the dash and the kick panel, but due to speaker positioning of the kick panels, I think the tweeters in those are a waste.

Christoefur

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have Morel Maximo Ultra Coax 402 Mk II across the dash and Morel Maximo Ultra Coax 602 Mk II in the kick panels. It sounds great, I would totally do it again.

I did the 4" speakers first and then did the 6" speakers a week later. It was definitely an upgrade on my B&O system, both times.
Glad to hear those Morels fit in the dash. They are on my list for consideration.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Glad to hear those Morels fit in the dash. They are on my list for consideration.
I did have to trim some plastic for the 6 inch ones to fit, but it was very minor work.

Sponsored

RichMartMD

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Outer Banks 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I did have to trim some plastic for the 6 inch ones to fit, but it was very minor work.
I'm curious, was it because it was rattling or for a different reason?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm curious, was it because it was rattling or for a different reason?
There is a lip that was interfering with re-installation of the kick panel, no rattles.

RichMartMD

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Outer Banks 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There is a lip that was interfering with re-installation of the kick panel, no rattles.
I see, I replaced mine and any amount of bass and volume increase is causing some rattling atm. I haven't tried the speakers without the panels yet, but it's on my list of things-to-do. o_O

CobraKaiSG

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
just reviving this thread to see the concensus on capacitors on the rear pods- i put the bass blocking caps on my front 4 inch speakers that i upgraded in the dash and they sound good- very bright with very little bass but better than the muddy sound the originals had. i have a sub i put in as well so i have some nice bass. going to replace the rear pods this weekend and i have caps for them but i may try them first without the caps just to see how they sound

Squatchn'

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BaseSquatch, 2021 Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
just reviving this thread to see the concensus on capacitors on the rear pods- i put the bass blocking caps on my front 4 inch speakers that i upgraded in the dash and they sound good- very bright with very little bass but better than the muddy sound the originals had. i have a sub i put in as well so i have some nice bass. going to replace the rear pods this weekend and i have caps for them but i may try them first without the caps just to see how they sound
The rear pods are already limited in bass output through the factory head unit. No caps needed back there.

Sponsored

uslfcfan

Black Diamond
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

JL Audio C1-400x fit in both front and rear pods perfect. They have removable ears that need to be taken off for the rears to fit. This combined with the Metra 72-5600 harness makes wiring easy. The harness isn't a perfect mate, but it "works". You'll see what i mean if you use that adapter.

Also looking for way to enable the bass in the rear!
I wanted to use the C1-400x as well but crutchfield said they would NOT fit. So you had no issue getting the grills back on with these? How do they sound? Did you add a passive crossover on the front speakers? Thanks!

jh3113

Black Diamond
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wanted to use the C1-400x as well but crutchfield said they would NOT fit. So you had no issue getting the grills back on with these? How do they sound? Did you add a passive crossover on the front speakers? Thanks!
I think they sound great. Yeah the fit is really tight, but they seem to work just fine for me. Added 300Hz Bass blockers on the front 2. Running it with a kicker key 200.4 now and everything sounds wonderful.

uslfcfan

Black Diamond
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think they sound great. Yeah the fit is really tight, but they seem to work just fine for me. Added 300Hz Bass blockers on the front 2. Running it with a kicker key 200.4 now and everything sounds wonderful.
Did you change your username 6 1/2 too? Did you add a sub? Thanks again!

jh3113

Black Diamond
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did you change your username 6 1/2 too? Did you add a sub? Thanks again!
no sub, no i haven't changed my username. But i did swap out the 6.5" speakers also.

uslfcfan

Black Diamond
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

no sub, no i haven't changed my username. But i did swap out the 6.5" speakers also.
Lol no idea why my iPad auto corrected to username. I meant kick panel 6 1/2. What did you use there? Thx
Sponsored