First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Shop manual indicates most of the suspense HW should not be reused. I usually follow this guidance.

What are other folks doing?

Anyone found a kit of the OEM HW or a list of part numbers by chance

Thanks much
Sponsored

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've disassembled my front end so many times now and reused all the hardware every time. If it has thread locker on it, put some blue thread locker on it.

It's like the diff plugs, supposed to buy new but come on, they're plugs with thread sealant already on them, just re apply your own to the ones you already got.

Ford probably does this because their mechanics are too lazy to do it right so they have to do it for them by making them one time use and pre applying it...

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm on re use number 4 front and back. It's not going anywhere.

jhenson81

Big Bend
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My thought is that the "don't reuse hardware" advice is for suspensions with a lot of miles on them. I say use what's there until you have to cut it off. :)

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Replace. They are likely "torque to yield" fasteners. They are intended to be used once.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dealers have to follow shop manual for OTU hardware because Ford says so and will deny a warranty claim if they aren't. That said, most of this is about the grade of thread locker that is applied to the fastener from the manufacturer. Once you disassemble, the thread locker is no longer good and the coating on the fastener has been compromised. Depending on what it is, I will replace or reuse depending on how hard it comes out and the condition of the threads. Some of the bolts are self starting so it's easier to assemble at the factory but they seem not as hard so if it goes it a little sideways and cross threads, oh well, the thread locker will keep it from coming out and "hate to be the next guy that has to take it out".

If it isn't damaged, apply a drop or two of medium strength or blue thread locker, torque to specification and forget about it.
Sponsored