Sponsored

Road noise - carpet vs rubber. Do you think rubber floor has sound deadening?

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks! Glad you’re safe.
Sponsored

andi

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So throwing out some technical questions. I really don’t know if anyone has the answers. Maybe those that are more familiar with the assembly of cars have a better guess...or those who work at a Ford plant could chime in @LEGEND

1. Do you think the rubber floors have any level of sound deadening underneath, or does the rubber itself have sound deadening properties? Perhaps it results in a quieter cabin for all I know

2. I presume in a build with carpeted floors there’s a thin layer of sound deadening. The high package adds additional sound deadening so I wonder if this carries over to the floors as well and there is a level 1 and level 2 sound deadening under the carpet?

3. If above is true is this also carried over to the rubber floor option or is it deleted entirely? If neither level of sound deadening makes its way to the rubber floor that means a carpeted floor with the high package is even that much more quieter than a bare rubber floor??
Heard that max volume can work as a standard sound deadening

Roughrider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, 2018 Goldwing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I factory ordered a 2021 ZR2 in July and got it about a month ago. I ordered it with the vinyl/rubber flooring and absolutely love it. So easy to clean up the mud and it’s also great for cleaning up dog hair. I don’t know about the Bronco, but mine has a soft feel to it, there’s definitely some sound deadening or something underneath it. It’s not loud at all. Definitely recommend it.

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would guess that the rubberized flooring would provide little, if any, sound deadening. It will probably be too dense to absorb any sound waves. It

I would also guess there is not going to be any kind of material that could soak up moisture between the rubber flooring and the body of the vehicle. It'd pose too much of a mold/mildew risk. So, I dont know if there would be any type of sound deadening material under the rubber.

On the other hand, I'd guess the carpeting is probably not going to be thick enough to absorb any sound waves either. Best case is that it prevents sound waves from reverberating.

In sum, the Bronco is likely to have a loud interior.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I also would like to know the answer to this question. I want a badlands. But I also don’t want a loud Bronco.
I may have to consider an outer bank.
Ford Bronco Road noise - carpet vs rubber. Do you think rubber floor has sound deadening? Capture.PNG
Ford Bronco Road noise - carpet vs rubber. Do you think rubber floor has sound deadening? Capture.PNG

Sponsored

xXChartmanXx

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Carpet absorbs sound while rubber (and other hard, solid surfaces) reflect it.

Rubber can be used in sound-proofing, as long as there is no sound going around it (e.g. a sound-proof chamber). Carpet helps to stop echo (think acoustic panels in a recording studio).

Minimizing the echo with carpet would make it significantly more pleasant to ride in, but wouldn’t block the sound.

Recording studios often use a combination of both. There is sound-proofing rubber lining that is used inside walls and inside cars (here’s an example: https://www.acoustimac.com/soundpro...MIje7hzKrh7AIVE47ICh1_GgygEAQYAiABEgJi-PD_BwE). Then there are different types of materials that can be used to stop echo (like carpet for example).

So the rubberized flooring with carpet on top would provide the best experience in terms of road noise (as well as conversations and listening to the radio). But if I had to pick one or the other, I would pick the carpet since minimizing the echo can really make the sound more bearable and the rubber insulation wouldn’t make as significant of a difference.
Normal sound deadening for car audio is made from Butyl rubber and a thermal aluminum shield. My guess is the harder rubber used in this will reflect sound more then absorb but doubt it will be much different from the carpeted floors.

Runningwaters

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Normal sound deadening for car audio is made from Butyl rubber and a thermal aluminum shield. My guess is the harder rubber used in this will reflect sound more then absorb but doubt it will be much different from the carpeted floors.
The rubberized flooring probably won’t make much difference. It seems like a thin layer is painted on.

Runningwaters

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If you want some noise reduction with the outer banks, you may be able to get those snap-on carpets that most cars come with. I imagine the bronco will have that for other trims as an option of either the rubber mats or carpet mats, so it may be available after purchase to put over the rubberized flooring (assuming the rubberized flooring has those snap points for a rubber mat over the floors rubber coating).

wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H3 Hummer, Explorer Sport, BMW R1200C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you want some real noise reduction in keeping with the retro Bronco theme then Shag carpet everything Floors, headliner, dash.....shag away

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
And if you go with a 4 door badlands and opt for a hardtop you can not get sound deadening for the hardtop.

so no carpet with rubber floors and no sound deadening will prob make the badlands pretty loud.
There will be plenty of aftermarket options for sound deadening panels for the hard top. Even if there wasn't it's pretty easy to DIY with dense sound deadening foam.

Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I talked to my sources and the carpet is worth a -.75 Db reduction.

Is this serious? This is the things you guys sit around and think about? Lol. The difference should be negligible if at all and the thought never even crossed my mind.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you want some real noise reduction in keeping with the retro Bronco theme then Shag carpet everything Floors, headliner, dash.....shag away
#facepalm #wasntthispartofthewashoutinteriorthread?

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I would guess that the rubberized flooring would provide little, if any, sound deadening. It will probably be too dense to absorb any sound waves. It

I would also guess there is not going to be any kind of material that could soak up moisture between the rubber flooring and the body of the vehicle. It'd pose too much of a mold/mildew risk. So, I dont know if there would be any type of sound deadening material under the rubber.

On the other hand, I'd guess the carpeting is probably not going to be thick enough to absorb any sound waves either. Best case is that it prevents sound waves from reverberating.

In sum, the Bronco is likely to have a loud interior.
The carpet will most likely have padding and if you option the package with additional sound deadening, it would be even thicker and on the firewall as well. If you also get the roof sound deadening, it should be relatively quiet.
The rubber is unlikely to have any padding because it would just trap moisture and stink and encouraging rust.
Sponsored