Sponsored

Road noise - carpet vs rubber. Do you think rubber floor has sound deadening?

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So throwing out some technical questions. I really don’t know if anyone has the answers. Maybe those that are more familiar with the assembly of cars have a better guess...or those who work at a Ford plant could chime in @LEGEND

1. Do you think the rubber floors have any level of sound deadening underneath, or does the rubber itself have sound deadening properties? Perhaps it results in a quieter cabin for all I know

2. I presume in a build with carpeted floors there’s a thin layer of sound deadening. The high package adds additional sound deadening so I wonder if this carries over to the floors as well and there is a level 1 and level 2 sound deadening under the carpet?

3. If above is true is this also carried over to the rubber floor option or is it deleted entirely? If neither level of sound deadening makes its way to the rubber floor that means a carpeted floor with the high package is even that much more quieter than a bare rubber floor??
Sponsored

Last edited:

glutton

Badlands
First Name
wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So throwing out some technical questions. I really don’t know if anyone has the answers. Maybe those that are more familiar with the assembly of cars have a better guess...or those who work at a Ford plant could chime in @LEGEND

1. Do you think the rubber floors have any level of sound deadening underneath, or is the rubber itself have sound deadening properties? Perhaps it results in a quieter cabin for all I know

2. I presume in a build with carpeted floors there’s a thin layer of sound deadening. The high package adds additional sound deadening so I wonder if this carries over to the floors as well and there is a level 1 and level 2 sound deadening under the carpet?

3. If above is true is this also carried over to the rubber floor option or is it deleted entirely? If neither level of sound deadening makes its way to the rubber floor that means a carpeted floor with the high package is even that much more quieter than a bare rubber floor??
I also would like to know the answer to this question. I want a badlands. But I also don’t want a loud Bronco.
I may have to consider an outer bank.

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1. Do you think the rubber floors have any level of sound deadening underneath, or is the rubber itself have sound deadening properties? Perhaps it results in a quieter cabin for all I know

20201003_215407.jpg

Runningwaters

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Carpet absorbs sound while rubber (and other hard, solid surfaces) reflect it.

Rubber can be used in sound-proofing, as long as there is no sound going around it (e.g. a sound-proof chamber). Carpet helps to stop echo (think acoustic panels in a recording studio).

Minimizing the echo with carpet would make it significantly more pleasant to ride in, but wouldn’t block the sound.

Recording studios often use a combination of both. There is sound-proofing rubber lining that is used inside walls and inside cars (here’s an example: https://www.acoustimac.com/soundpro...MIje7hzKrh7AIVE47ICh1_GgygEAQYAiABEgJi-PD_BwE). Then there are different types of materials that can be used to stop echo (like carpet for example).

So the rubberized flooring with carpet on top would provide the best experience in terms of road noise (as well as conversations and listening to the radio). But if I had to pick one or the other, I would pick the carpet since minimizing the echo can really make the sound more bearable and the rubber insulation wouldn’t make as significant of a difference.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gizmo

Outer Banks
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio 2020 Porsche Macan 23 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That B me

Last edited:

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
And if you go with a 4 door badlands and opt for a hardtop you can not get sound deadening for the hardtop.

so no carpet with rubber floors and no sound deadening will prob make the badlands pretty loud.

Calicorks

Badlands
First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why cant you guys just add carpet (sold separately from Ford) if it’s bothersome? Then, when it’s time to go off-roading, remove the carpet to get the rubber floor experience.
Lol my Mustang exhaust is so loud you can barely hear the radio, do I care? Nope.
Badlands with rubber floor all the way for me personally.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
And if you go with a 4 door badlands and opt for a hardtop you can not get sound deadening for the hardtop.

so no carpet with rubber floors and no sound deadening will prob make the badlands pretty loud.
Possibly. But we don’t know for certain. don’t want to side track this thread with 100 responses about the GVWR theories about the roof insulation’s since we have other threads for that. Hoping we could focus on the floors here.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
sorry but at the end of the day no one will know for sure until you compare 2 Broncos with or without carpet. The 2022 guys will have better info than the 2021 guys.

Possibly. But we don’t know for certain. don’t want to side track this thread with 100 responses about the GVWR theories about the roof insulation’s since we have other threads for that. Hoping we could focus on the floors here.

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
ford has already said removing the carpet to access the drain holes is not easy. So to answer your question it is bothersome.

Why cant you guys just add carpet (sold separately from Ford) if it’s bothersome? Then, when it’s time to go off-roading, remove the carpet to get the rubber floor experience.
Lol my Mustang exhaust is so loud you can barely hear the radio, do I care? Nope.

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That’s great that is what you want. Not everyone wants that. I, along with others, just want to know what to expect before we buy. If the rubberized flooring is soundproofed then that will make a big difference in which trim I end up buying.

Calicorks

Badlands
First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Overall I believe the Bronco will be lound in general. Rubber floors will add to it.

If you want to know, I’d suggest to go drive a Wrangler to be certain. The Bronco Is similar as in removable roof, and the added rubber will for sure make it loud. I’m not even sure if any sound denting would be added to a vehicle like this. Add on bigger tires and it’s exceptionally loud.

You can always buy after market carpet that are meant to be removable. Not sure how helpful that would be.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I agree and Ford knows it. This is why Ford is offering 2 types of sound deadening ... interior and on the hardtop.

Overall I believe the Bronco will be lound in general. Rubber floors will add to it.

If you want to know, I’d suggest to go drive a Wrangler to be certain. The Bronco Is similar as in removable roof, and the added rubber will for sure make it loud. I’m not even sure if any sound denting would be added to a vehicle like this. Add on bigger tires and it’s exceptionally loud.

You can always buy after market carpet that are meant to be removable. Not sure how helpful that would be.
Sponsored