Sponsored

Rodents/Squirrels ate through fuel line. Advice on preventing in the future?

AttackGuy64

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

.357 Magnum. Gets rid of rodents and neighbors as well.
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

$1k to replace a fuel line??? Thats nuts. I doubt that is a $100 line and wouldn't think it would book for more than 2 hours of labor.

And that red cover is for the battery positive terminal, not the fuse box.
Fuel line goes from the high pressure pump at the engine, all the way down the top of the transmission then back to the fuel tank. Can't really gain access to the lines up above the transmission, so the rear driveshaft and transmission crossmember have to be removed to lower the transmission down.

Last edited:

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This if he didnā€™t live in a apartment complex. Thereā€™s always a Karen in the bunch
.30 cal air rifle might be the way around that. No concussion from a round being discharged and still a humane solution. Them boys in Florida use the air rifles in neighborhoods for invasive species mitigation so it's not unheard of as an option.

Doc TOC

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition Max, Fusion Hybrid, HD Road King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe after the repair put some stainless braided covers on the hoses.

I would ask them to use SS braided line for the repair. Although it cost more, you will be one and done. You're paying for it, so have them do the right thing for you. Not likely it can be done properly after the fact. And the incremental cost (and convenience) is better than perpetual spraying - which will probably degrade the line material over time.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
.30 cal air rifle might be the way around that. No concussion from a round being discharged and still a humane solution. Them boys in Florida use the air rifles in neighborhoods for invasive species mitigation so it's not unheard of as an option.
Iā€™m one of ā€œthem boysā€ but I donā€™t have a air rifle or a .22ā€¦ just a 45,380,5.56 and a shot gun. Welcome to the HOA lol. Squirrels are few and far between near me due to the snakes,gators, puma and bobcats not to mention all the dumbass snowbirds and geriatric's that cant drive​

Sponsored

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ā€˜24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That should be a comprehensive claim, which should not raise your rates.

Firewrench

Base
First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basesquatch, F-350, Slingshot, H-D TriGlide
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wife uses peppermint oil on cotton balls in the RV, one in each basement compartment, a few under the hood. Renew with a few drops of oil every month or so. We see no rodent evidence.
Here in humid western Washington the Irish Spring soap turns into a slimy mess.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had a rabbit living in my mustang for a week or two. I tried dryer sheets. That did not work. Pretty sure he nibbled on some wiring. AC went out at the same time. I got a hose and sprayed him with water to get him out. He was even coming with me to work 25 miles away.

MRenfro

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2022 Bronco, 2012 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yea my thinking with the cover at least was just to make it harder to get to the wires since both JCR and IAG cover the specific wire that got damaged. I figured it would be harder for a rodent to get between the cover and that fuel line.

Ford Bronco Rodents/Squirrels ate through fuel line. Advice on preventing in the future? Screenshot_20231023_215630_FX
Ford Bronco Rodents/Squirrels ate through fuel line. Advice on preventing in the future? Screenshot_20231023_215630_FX

But, I'll definitely try the moth balls and soap you recommended. Thanks!
No, rats and mice have cover then.

I live it the country (pack rat heaven) and I have good luck with sonic repellent and mice/rat poison.

https://www.amazon.com/Loraffe-Ultr...d670b6bc&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hi everyone, a few weeks ago, a strange fuel smell started coming from my bronco. I took it in this past Friday, Oct. 20th, for a diagnostic at one of the local Ford dealer's.

They told me that it looks like rodents (I assume squirrels since they're all over my apartment complex) got into my engine bay and chewed into the fuel line that I circled in the picture below to the point that fuel was being sprayed directly onto the motor while driving. The engine bay also had other signs of damage such as the red piece on the fuse box red positive terminal cover on the battery that I've circled below.

The total cost to fix is going to be roughly $1000 dollars parts and labors, not covered by warranty. I'm checking now to see if my insurance will cover it, they said that it would but wouldn't give me a direct answer on whether or not it would raise my premiums, but that's besides the point.

I've seen the following advice on some other forum posts (this one, this one, and this one):
  1. Rodent Repellent Spray or Sacks or home-made peppermint oil-based sprays
  2. Ultrasonic Devices (like this, this, and this)
  3. Shielding tape (not sure about this one and any potential warranty concerns)
  4. Bounce dryer sheets and/or Moth Balls
  5. Parking in a garage (not feasible for me as I live in an apartment complex)
I was also thinking about the JCR or IAG Engine Covers, since these covers will at least shield the specific part of mine that got torn up. The Ford one doesn't seem to provide much coverage, unfortunately.

My questions:
  1. Do any of these solutions sound like a better idea than others, assuming I'm correct in thinking it was squirrels that did this to my bronco?
  2. For the engine covers, will they cause overheating problems (especially the JCR metal one)? I'm concerned that Ford left the engine cover off for a reason.
  3. Would adding full-body skid plates help by making it harder for squirrels to get in from underneath? If so, what brand would you recommend?
  4. Are there any ideas I'm forgetting?
I appreciate all your help!
In my experience, preventative sprays do work. I think shields would keep you from seeing the damage. Squirrels love my wife's Subaru, were building a nest on the battery, eventually shorting out the terminals and the battery went dead. Checking the engine bay weekly or monthly, cleaning out any acorns and leaves, and spraying a repellant that will not hurt the rubber and plastic (or a mechanic!) is now a regular maintenance item. Periodically, I do find squirrel signs, and your post will have me looking again today! Fall is here!

I use a pepper based spray.

20231024_093012.jpg

OP
OP
soupcansam

soupcansam

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just hosed it down around the wheel wells and suspension where I saw it going in and coming out of. Only applied once and don't know how long it's effective for. I saw it jump up in on the driver side and pop out on the passenger side 5 minutes later. Didn't see any chewing but hosed it down anyway. We feed the tree rats and it seems like they start messing with the vehicles when the feeders are empty. Spoiled rodents.:rolleyes:
Ok, sounds good. I've ordered this along with some another spray that other's recommended. Thanks so much for the help!

OP
OP
soupcansam

soupcansam

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

maybe after the repair put some stainless braided covers on the hoses.
I'm going to call them up today and ask. Thanks for the advice! Hopefully they can do it. I don't care much about the cost as long as it won't happen again. Buy once cry once type of thing.
Sponsored