Sponsored

Rats! In the engine bay (not a horror movie title).

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hi Folks,

Took our first trip in the Bronco up to my in-laws property that is in the high-desert mountains outside San Diego. Pretty remote area and around 4500ft elevation. One issue they have always had is rats chewing up soft bits in the engine compartment of their cars.

Well, this morning I came out and saw that I had a visitor in my engine bay as well. They chewed up the soft liner outside of the battery, and also a bit of a label on a wiring harness (pics attached). Nothing serious, but I think I got lucky that it was very minimal.

For those of you that live in area where this is a problem, what are the best products/strategies to avoid this?

I've heard leaving the hood up helps, but any other suggestions?

Thanks!

PXL_20210906_190736243.jpg

PXL_20210906_190730423.jpg
Sponsored

JessD05

Badlands
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC suv
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I saw a video on YouTube a few weeks ago, not sure which one, but they were visiting a park and people had wire fencing and boards around the vehicles that were left for a couple days to avoid getting rats/mice.

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

People with Broncos on Dirt Mountain, just pretend you never saw this thread.

Sponsored

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Lights!

Around here, people with pack rat problems leave on a light either IN the engine bay or under it. And yes, the hood up helps, too, especially with lights. You can even buy expensive lights at the hardware store specifically designed for that.

Also, most comprehensive insurance covers the damage done by pack rats, so if it is a common problem, you may want to lower your deductible.

And to all the people who recommended cats and terriers, that's probably a good idea in a garage, but you can't really have small outdoor pets in the areas around here with pack rats. Those areas also have bobcats and coyotes who frequently eat small pets that are outside.😞

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Don't forget snakes.
Oo... I wonder if rats will stay away if you park over a rubber snake? Rubber snakes scare off lots of creatures.

Sponsored

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Moth balls work, the camphor smell drives them off. Put some in a knee high stocking and zip tie in the engine compartment.

Lainez

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas, F-150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lights!

Around here, people with pack rat problems leave on a light either IN the engine bay or under it. And yes, the hood up helps, too, especially with lights. You can even buy expensive lights at the hardware store specifically designed for that.

Also, most comprehensive insurance covers the damage done by pack rats, so if it is a common problem, you may want to lower your deductible.

And to all the people who recommended cats and terriers, that's probably a good idea in a garage, but you can't really have small outdoor pets in the areas around here with pack rats. Those areas also have bobcats and coyotes who frequently eat small pets that are outside.😞
2 Kangals and 2 Irish wolfhounds to protect 10 terriers. No rats guaranteed. Might need a trailer for the anti ray protection. Tow rating May be an issue.

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Put out bait boxes