First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
The best rodent poison that you can buy is Contrac. You can find it online. I get the small packets and spread them out in our crawl space and the garage. You can also get the big blocks and put them in the black plastic external cases that you see around strip malls (like a shoebox). Why I like the packets is you can see when the mice/rats tear into them. Then just replace the packets (after you clean up the torn one). Its a great way to see if you have a varmint issue. And the other good part is I never see the bodies. They may be dead in the walls or wherever they were nesting, but I never see carcasses.
Rodent poison will kill them but they are already in the vehicle.
I use Moth Balls. Put one in the cabin and one in the engine compartment.
I farmed for 35 years and it did keep the mice out.
I did have a squirrel chew up some wires on my plow truck diesel.
Transmission wires and insulation. It was after the salt.
Keep the salt off too!
Sponsored

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Last week my son started our Bronco - and a raccoon scampered out of the engine bay!

Looks like the raccoon was sleeping on top of the engine. Grimed it up with muddy paw prints and oily residue. Tore some foam insulation in various areas. Also must have got caught in the running serpentine belt, pulled out clumps of hair when escaping.

P1200684_lr.jpg
P1200669_lr.jpg
P1200664_lr.jpg

To add injury, while cleaning the engine yesterday, I notice mice had also invaded. On the top firewall side of the 2.3L engine, there is a plastic cover over foam insulation, with a small opening. A perfect "mouse house". Mice crawled inside and tore up the foam insulation making a nest. :(

Does anyone know offhand what is that insulated component (shown below with red arrow)? Assuming Ford put all that foam insulation there for a reason, I wonder what is the risk operating the Bronco for a while with some of it missing?

P1200677_lr.jpg
I live in rural area with critters also. My huntress cat takes care of all of them. Also Tomcat makes a spray that works well. Ace has it.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You would love Loki, (see avatar) he killed a few raccoons that were trying to den under my house, including a full size daddy raccoon in seconds. I was freaked out when I saw him go after it, after all, it was a wild animal with claws and teeth, but Loki flipped him right over on his back and crushed his belly & inner's with his jaws (no blood) in 2 seconds flat; it was amazing to see.

Loki would never hurt another dog (or a human) regardless of size, even a noisy ankle biter and he even tried to play with a coyote, but ANY OTHER animal that he can chase down and kill he'll go after. I never had anything get into my truck after I got him.
Yep, Siberians are fantastic hunters. Birds, opossums, rats, rabbits, skunks. Not so good at rattlesnakes. Unfortunately, I lost 3 dogs from secondary poisoning :mad: 😢 because if it was in the yard they would kill it & eat some of it. Again, not so much for rattlesnakes, thankfully we got the boy through that before losing him to a cancer 2 years later 😢

Keep the salt off too!
Please don't use poison, I've lost 3 dogs from secondary poisoning see above post. Not sure what the autoloaders is but a dunk the rat trap works pretty good. Feral cats are great if you have some property.

half-fast

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Bronco (2dr)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I started using peppermint spray. I was using coyote urine but the smell is horrible and our dog was getting too interested. (Her litter mates have coyote kills.)I can't use poisons because our of pets.

Of more serious concern is what will happen when our Drahthaar gets a whiff of some critter in there! Rodent damage can't compare to what a Drahthole determined to dispatch fur can do to a vehicle. She's chewed through PT 2x6 shed ramps simply because a mouse or 2 had a regular path under it. (Funny, she points the grill and bumper if there are pieces of birds in there.)

Tacanta14

Black Diamond
First Name
Wasichu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond 4 Door 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Decided to check to see if I had mice several weeks ago, and I noticed some mouse droppings and slight chewing on 2 wires. I got some mothballs from the hardware store (50 mile drive) and when I popped the hood to place them a mouse was looking at me from the air filter box! Got my tools out and popped the cover and no damage (the mouse was also gone), and since placing the 4 perforated bags of moth balls, no more mice!

Sponsored

Tacanta14

Black Diamond
First Name
Wasichu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond 4 Door 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you go for rodent poison, skip the Big Box and hardware store stuff. You want to go to a farm supply outfit for serious products.
Regarding racoons and opossums, look into repellants that utilize coyote urine. Don't ask me how they get the raw (pun intended) ingredient. I don't know, and don't want to.
Coyote wranglers, I assume!

Searchdawg

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Supercrew Platinum 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I started using peppermint spray. I was using coyote urine but the smell is horrible and our dog was getting too interested. (Her litter mates have coyote kills.)I can't use poisons because our of pets.

Of more serious concern is what will happen when our Drahthaar gets a whiff of some critter in there! Rodent damage can't compare to what a Drahthole determined to dispatch fur can do to a vehicle. She's chewed through PT 2x6 shed ramps simply because a mouse or 2 had a regular path under it. (Funny, she points the grill and bumper if there are pieces of birds in there.)
I give a second here! I have had over $4k total in damage to wiring, insulation, and fuel components in a 5 year period between my F150 and Camaro. Mostly squirrels, but some mice too. For the last two years I have been putting Uncle Gus rodent packs under the hood on each fender well and on top of the fuel tank near fuel pump. I have the in Tupperware containers with holes drilled in them. Then spray them down with peppermint spray as well as the hood liner, fire wall and battery insulation. I got a gallon jug of peppermint spray off Amazon. I do this on the first of each month. Haven’t had a problem since.

Dreamer

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When it’s outside in the summer, I keep a bit of water in it. Only an issue then is the occasional squirrel. The raccoons are gotten by large “doesn't have a heart” trap.
I have a similar trap and don’t use it dry. In the winter months, I use windshield washer fluid or RV antifreeze. Keeps the liquid from freezing. Thing works great. But it is a little nasty to empty if you don’t do it on a regular basis.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This was the cabin air filter inside my old Escape. The filter was gone and replaced with a mouse nest. Squirrels and mice squatted in that engine compartment but never ate any parts other than the cabin air filter. But, that began my quest to eliminate the little varmits from this planet!

IMG_1051.jpeg
My wife had mice chew up some stuff on her engine. The odd thing is that I had a Mustang in the same garage for months at a time and my Bronco can sit there for a few days and no issues (so far). I wonder if she got them from her job.

I also got mice traps for garage, but haven't seen anything in them either.

And I live in a urban area too (though we have a good collection of rabbits and chipmunks in the neighborhood)

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Keep the salt off too!
I heard about the moth ball trick, but I needed to kill mice/rats. And they have to leave the engine compartment at some point to feed, and they will find the Contrac.

But to the guy who posted after me, don't use Contrac if you have pets. I have a cat (house only) and no dogs so I was not concerned about them getting into the Contrac in the garage and crawl space.

Sponsored

ND1C

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Outerbanks Sasquatch & 2024 Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Last week my son started our Bronco - and a raccoon scampered out of the engine bay!

Looks like the raccoon was sleeping on top of the engine. Grimed it up with muddy paw prints and oily residue. Tore some foam insulation in various areas. Also must have got caught in the running serpentine belt, pulled out clumps of hair when escaping.

P1200684_lr.jpg
P1200669_lr.jpg
P1200664_lr.jpg

To add injury, while cleaning the engine yesterday, I notice mice had also invaded. On the top firewall side of the 2.3L engine, there is a plastic cover over foam insulation, with a small opening. A perfect "mouse house". Mice crawled inside and tore up the foam insulation making a nest. :(

Does anyone know offhand what is that insulated component (shown below with red arrow)? Assuming Ford put all that foam insulation there for a reason, I wonder what is the risk operating the Bronco for a while with some of it missing?

P1200677_lr.jpg
Mix Jiffy Corn muffin mix with pure baking soda the Corn muffin mix will attract them and they cant digest the baking powder.. any rodents that eat this will die. As far as the racoon get a live trap and some cat food (wet) when you open the can don't tear it all the way off just crack it to expose food and zip tie it Hanging inside the trap. I have a friend that works at a local for dealer, he said he sees this a few times a month. I was told that the wiring is vegetable oil bases and that attracts the critters.

Oldie

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I give a second here! I have had over $4k total in damage to wiring, insulation, and fuel components in a 5 year period between my F150 and Camaro. Mostly squirrels, but some mice too. For the last two years I have been putting Uncle Gus rodent packs under the hood on each fender well and on top of the fuel tank near fuel pump. I have the in Tupperware containers with holes drilled in them. Then spray them down with peppermint spray as well as the hood liner, fire wall and battery insulation. I got a gallon jug of peppermint spray off Amazon. I do this on the first of each month. Haven’t had a problem since.
I'll give a third on this! It works wonders and the aroma isn't too bad. Also keeps spiders out too. We have some vehicles that sit for a while (old convertibles, truck) and hitting the engine compartment and the interior with some peppermint oil keeps all those away. For the interior i put a few drops on a folded paper towel. Works great.

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

P1200684_lr.jpg
P1200669_lr.jpg
P1200664_lr.jpg

P1200677_lr.jpg
Had a temporary solution earlier this year (see photo). Unfortunately, he moved on so I'm hoping that pickins were slim. My rodent problem has been dramatically reduced with taking down a large oak tree (and all of its associated acorns) 2 years ago.
Ford Bronco Raccoon and mice invade Bronco engine bay IMG_5419.JPG

1MtnBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 4dr, Sasquatch Package
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We live in a rural mountain area with mice/pack rats a constant problem and raccoons/squirrels an infrequent one. While we use a 12v rodent repellant alarm under the hood we have found the best practice is to leave the hood up at night, preferably where there is a light shining in, as it seems mice/rats seek out hidden, dark spaces and we have never had an issue since doing this. Thinking the repellant alarm would work we left the hood down for 4 days only to fine the beginnings of a nest being created just below the alarm... Hood Up!

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I have a similar trap and don’t use it dry. In the winter months, I use windshield washer fluid or RV antifreeze. Keeps the liquid from freezing. Thing works great. But it is a little nasty to empty if you don’t do it on a regular basis.
I use water in it outside only because the squirrels and gophers can jump back out if they don't drown first and I don't want to dump antifreeze out every time. In the winter I only have to deal with the mice in the garage. Leaving it dry works fine. Mice only seem to live a day or so in it. I had a skunk in one of my hav-a-hart traps. It lived for several days before it keeled over. My neighbor has a cat that roams around but it's not nearly as good as a family of foxes. They kill to live, the cat kills just to have fun.
Sponsored