Base
First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
momma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yep...cars catch fire. Can happen...even those electric heaven sent cars.

How car was maintained or not is always interesting. Any who, hope insurance takes care.
Sponsored

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, a typical unknown chain of events, that when combined, lead to a catastrophic outcome. I remember the event well, I worked for a competitor at the time that had a similar LRU to the one that brand x was blamed for as the source of the overheating (they went bankrupt). Our unit drew 40 amps, when it came time for a mod, I was on the hook as the engineering manager to sign off for design approval, talk about pucker factor. I made sure we tested (DO-160) and reviewed it at all levels, including wiring, to be 100% confident our unit would not lead to a similar outcome.
40amps seems very high, but I guess if you’re powering an entire cabins worth of screens it makes sense. What year was this (I imagine todays systems must have a much lower draw)? BTW, Swiss air was so tragic, fire in an airplane is scary stuff. Especially in remote locations as they were.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

40amps seems very high, but I guess if you’re powering an entire cabins worth of screens it makes sense. What year was this (I imagine todays systems must have a much lower draw)? BTW, Swiss air was so tragic, fire in an airplane is scary stuff. Especially in remote locations as they were.
Bingo, an entire cabin's worth of screens, the year after SwissAir, 1999, definitely higher power then.

Sponsored

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Womps

Outer Banks
First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outerbanks. 2021 Ford F-150.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That puts a whole new meaning to the word “totalled “.

Shifts And Grins Fab

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shiftsandgrinsfabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2022 Bronco Wildtrak Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry this happened to you. We lost our TRX earlier this year due to it being totalled. I guess the good news is, It pushed us to get a Bronco sooner and we are loving the Bronco. I hope everything works out for you and you are able to get another one soon and start enjoying it.

OP
OP

KRoyal080

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry this happened to you. We lost our TRX earlier this year due to it being totalled. I guess the good news is, It pushed us to get a Bronco sooner and we are loving the Bronco. I hope everything works out for you and you are able to get another one soon and start enjoying it.
Thank you! The order is in!

First Name
Jaybird
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands 7-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@KRoyal080

I have a theory, based on something that happened to me. I was driving long distance, stopped to fill up the tank, discovered smoke coming from the engine bay of my 2023 2.3 manual (obvs, a different setup). Upon examination, the oil dipstick was not properly seated, and oil had come out onto the engine and was cooking off.

this happened just before she was due for her first oil change. I had literally never opened the hood before, so I don’t know if the dipstick had been unseated from the factory or if there if there is a design flaw and it popped loose.

I caught mine promptly and so no harm no foul. But it definitely has me nervous and regularly checking the engine bay at fill ups. It is not hard to see how a repeat of this could cause a fire.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced such a thing.

Sponsored

ram

Outer Banks
First Name
Ram
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD BRONCO- 4 DR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So this happened yesterday. Had just hit 25k miles on my '22 Badlands Bronco. Pulled into a rest area. Shut the vehicle off. Was gone at most 5 minutes and walked out to see black smoke pouring out of the hood. Fire was contained to the engine bay until the flames were so high the hard top caught fire, and the rest is history. Fire department was unable to determine cause. Up until this point, I have had zero issues with the vehicle. Sad day...

Update: it's a 2.7 Auto

20230502_164301.jpg

20230502_171329.jpg

20230502_171658.jpg

20230502_172029.jpg

20230502_171910.jpg
really sorry to hear this...

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You know I didn't even think of it when I originally read this post. Last summer my 2.7 developed an oil leak from the driver side valve cover. The oil was dripping directly on to the catalytic converter and causing smoke. Luckily I caught it very early, but it could have resulted in a fire pretty easily.

Ford Bronco Total loss... 🤦🏼‍♂️ Engine bay fire burned down my Bronco 20220826_122937~2

Ford Bronco Total loss... 🤦🏼‍♂️ Engine bay fire burned down my Bronco 20220826_123002~2

OP
OP

KRoyal080

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You know I didn't even think of it when I originally read this post. Last summer my 2.7 developed an oil leak from the driver side valve cover. The oil was dripping directly on to the catalytic converter and causing smoke. Luckily I caught it very early, but it could have resulted in a fire pretty easily.

This could be useful information. Thanks!

STO

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Sorry mate. I hope Ford rectifies this and you don't have to come out of your pocket too much. Also, looking forward to an update as the cause. Thankfully, you were parked and survived it.

Take care buddy

Raskew

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco, 2018 Stinger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So this happened yesterday. Had just hit 25k miles on my '22 Badlands Bronco. Pulled into a rest area. Shut the vehicle off. Was gone at most 5 minutes and walked out to see black smoke pouring out of the hood. Fire was contained to the engine bay until the flames were so high the hard top caught fire, and the rest is history. Fire department was unable to determine cause. Up until this point, I have had zero issues with the vehicle. Sad day...

Update: it's a 2.7 Auto

Ford Bronco Total loss... 🤦🏼‍♂️ Engine bay fire burned down my Bronco 20220826_123002~2

What ever became of this? Did they determine the cause?

Were you able to get a replacement quickly?
Sponsored