indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Last week my son started our Bronco - and a raccoon scampered out of the engine bay!

Looks like the raccoon was sleeping on top of the engine. Grimed it up with muddy paw prints and oily residue. Tore some foam insulation in various areas. Also must have got caught in the running serpentine belt, pulled out clumps of hair when escaping.

Ford Bronco Raccoon and mice invade Bronco engine bay P1200684_lr
Ford Bronco Raccoon and mice invade Bronco engine bay P1200669_lr
Ford Bronco Raccoon and mice invade Bronco engine bay P1200664_lr

To add injury, while cleaning the engine yesterday, I notice mice had also invaded. On the top firewall side of the 2.3L engine, there is a plastic cover over foam insulation, with a small opening. A perfect "mouse house". Mice crawled inside and tore up the foam insulation making a nest. :(

Does anyone know offhand what is that insulated component (shown below with red arrow)? Assuming Ford put all that foam insulation there for a reason, I wonder what is the risk operating the Bronco for a while with some of it missing?

Ford Bronco Raccoon and mice invade Bronco engine bay P1200677_lr
Sponsored

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Last week my son started our Bronco - and a raccoon scampered out of the engine bay!

Looks like the raccoon was sleeping on top of the engine. Grimed it up with muddy paw prints and oily residue. Tore some foam insulation in various areas. Also must have got caught in the running serpentine belt, pulled out clumps of hair when escaping.

To add injury, while cleaning the engine yesterday, I notice mice had also invaded. On the top firewall side of the 2.3L engine, there is a plastic cover over foam insulation, with a small opening. A perfect "mouse house". Mice crawled inside and tore up the foam insulation making a nest. :(

Does anyone know offhand what is that insulated component (shown below with red arrow)? Assuming Ford put all that foam insulation there for a reason, I wonder what is the risk operating the Bronco for a while with some of it missing?

Dam little bastards!

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a rural home on an acreage that I bought specifically for wildlife habitat. But mice, squirrels and racoons are on the destroy on sight list.

I keep a mouse trap set under the hood of the motorhome, de con in the garage and a .17 in the corner.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I keep my auto loader near by!

Ford Bronco Raccoon and mice invade Bronco engine bay IMG_3203

Sponsored
OP
OP
indio22

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
One Hell of a soup kitchen you got going for you, hope insurance will cover it.
Fortunately it appears there is no damage to electrical wiring. Mostly they seem to have focused on the foam coverings and insulations.

For now I've got an ultra-bright motion activated LED light bar resting on top of the engine overnight. The idea is to blast anything crawling up there in the face with light. While I try and figure out how to prevent any future incursions.

Ford Bronco Raccoon and mice invade Bronco engine bay P1200671_lr

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

How nasty is that thing to empty?
When it’s outside in the summer, I keep a bit of water in it. Only an issue then is the occasional squirrel. The raccoons are gotten by large “doesn't have a heart” trap.

Sponsored

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

The smaller hav-a-hart traps fit perfectly in a 5 gallon bucket!

The bubbles don’t last long!

Ford Bronco Raccoon and mice invade Bronco engine bay IMG_1044

pillar406

Outer Banks
First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.keeseemotorcompany.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

High pressure fuel pump. Running it without the insulation won't cause any real issues except it will be louder

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

You made me go in the garage and open the hood just to make sure they weren’t outsmarting my trap!

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a rural home on an acreage that I bought specifically for wildlife habitat. But mice, squirrels and racoons are on the destroy on sight list.

I keep a mouse trap set under the hood of the motorhome, de con in the garage and a .17 in the corner.
You would love Loki, (see avatar) he killed a few raccoons that were trying to den under my house, including a full size daddy raccoon in seconds. I was freaked out when I saw him go after it, after all, it was a wild animal with claws and teeth, but Loki flipped him right over on his back and crushed his belly & inner's with his jaws (no blood) in 2 seconds flat; it was amazing to see.

Loki would never hurt another dog (or a human) regardless of size, even a noisy ankle biter and he even tried to play with a coyote, but ANY OTHER animal that he can chase down and kill he'll go after. I never had anything get into my truck after I got him.
Sponsored