Sponsored

Why is everyone afraid of the engine bay?

HideoutBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Defender / 1985 Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
At least is isn't a JAG V12

Ford Bronco Why is everyone afraid of the engine bay? 1631024213947
Sponsored

PartyMarty

Black Diamond
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear, 2009 VW Rabbit
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did they ever redesign it so you didn't have to take off the intake manifold to get the Pentastar plugs?
Looks like it still the same 3.6L engine in the JL, so yeah, still a PITA with removing the whole intake manifold. However the jeep 2.0T looks a lot easier (but more frequent at 60k miles whereas the 3.6L is every 100k miles).

nick112288

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Looks like it still the same 3.6L engine in the JL, so yeah, still a PITA with removing the whole intake manifold. However the jeep 2.0T looks a lot easier (but more frequent at 60k miles whereas the 3.6L is every 100k miles).
I remember the first time I found out that was required. It was actually my wifes Town and Country and the Carfax showed a job that listed intake manifold gasket, spark plugs, and wires.

At first I read it as head gaskets on a van with less than 70k miles and said to myself hell no theres something seriously wrong with it to need headgaskets then. But then I re-read and saw intake manifold gasket and figured out that the manifold had to come off for spark plugs.

I thought ok, it's a minivan and the engine is sideways so I can see that being required. Then when I figured out it was that way on the Jeeps and everthing else with the 3.6 and realized how stupid of a design that was.

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Like my pops used to say:
Some day they’re just gonna weld the hood shut!

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just watched a review of the Lincoln Nautilus with the 2.7L. It's engine compartment was also a total mess and no engine cover. On a rig that tops out over $80k it was still a disaster under the hood.
Sponsored