Sponsored

Why is everyone hellbent on infotainment specs?

brocotect

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
I want a heads up display on a contact lens. Now that shit would be cool. Never have to look at a screen again
How about in you sun glasses?

Ford Bronco Why is everyone hellbent on infotainment specs? form_google_main-1280x720

I swim with these. It's pretty cool to have my heart rate, pace and laps all on screen while in the pool.

The future is here.
Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Not trying to be rude to those that really care about this, just trying to understand why there is such emphasis on vehicle infotainment recently

I frequently hear things like "Brand X is really dropping that ball since they haven't included Apple Car Play", "The screen on model Y is too small", " I really like Ford's Sync Z", etc. I'm one of the younger guys here and my two vehicles are from 1988 and 1994. Why all the focus on infotainment? Do you really a screen to stare at during every stage of your day?

Please enlighten me.
The problem is that your cars are far too new. In '88 your standard radio could tune into AM or FM and likely even had a tape player!

As for the '94, that space ship of yours probably has tape AND CD plus AM/FM. You're the one spoiled for choice!

Now, on your topic rather than pointing out the opulent trimmings your vehicles have, People these days want to touch things and since we can't randomly touch each other, they want to touch a screen. The whole point of driving in 2021 is to be doing something else such as browsing for a new Miley Sirus track to stream (Oh, I love her lyrics, she's an excellent song purchaser! It's as if somebody is writing entirely about her supposed life and now she can sing about it!).

FWIW, the manual choke in my '51 is pretty cool to play with while driving. You can alllllllllllllmost pretend the car has a radio just by the change in exhaust note as you yank on the knob.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had a car with a HUD. They're fantastic. I wish more than GM used them much lol
I do like a HUD, my wife's Prius has one, with lots of info on it. I got the big screen because at my age I need things bigger (I know, I know) so I can see them easily.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Remember 20 years ago when you used to be able to pick half settings between blend combos in the heating/AC?? (say the setting between feet and feet/vents, sent more air to feet than vent, not equal amounts of air). Not sure why this feature died with electronic pushbutton/screen, heating/AC controls.

Ford Bronco Why is everyone hellbent on infotainment specs? form_google_main-1280x720
Oh damn, that remote control even has a bacon button!

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m still confused as to why there are gauges and screens... why have we not advanced enough to just have holographic displays.

Sponsored

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The more the better. Wish the Bronco had a HUD option like my M4

Lorenzo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My order trim was driven by being able to get the big screen.
Wife wants it.
I still dont really give a crap about it.
I guess it will help with resale value.

* Hopefully with the whole "over the air updates" thing, we have a better chance of these not looking / behaving too awful in a few years.

FishKzor

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The upgraded 12" screen and the 360 degree cameras were the major feature that pulled me, against my better judgement, from a Black Diamond to a Badlands 2 weeks ago. If I'm already spending a ton on my "dream car", plopping down an extra $3.5k to get the fully integrated, OEM infotainment, along with the factory installed cameras not only saves me time and frustration (by not having to do it myself), but it allows me to have piece of mind that I'm somewhat on the cutting edge. These things are here to stay, like it or not.

Between the 12" screen and cameras, the signature lighting upgrade, and the orange accents (that better compliment Cactus Grey than the velocity Blue grab handles), I have peace of mind that I didn't skimp on things I may live to regret later.

Nellman

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not trying to be rude to those that really care about this, just trying to understand why there is such emphasis on vehicle infotainment recently

I frequently hear things like "Brand X is really dropping that ball since they haven't included Apple Car Play", "The screen on model Y is too small", " I really like Ford's Sync Z", etc. I'm one of the younger guys here and my two vehicles are from 1988 and 1994. Why all the focus on infotainment? Do you really a screen to stare at during every stage of your day?

Please enlighten me.
There is always something that is hot in the world. For automotive think about ABS, fuel injectors, disc brakes, PW/PL (power windows, power locks for those who never read a used vehicle ad in a paper), keys with chips. All of these some people hated and said this will make it impossible to do x or this will make a car's life shorter. Non of which has proven true. More vehicles on the road now with higher mileage then in the past. 100k mile is nothing.

It comes down to technology and everything changes the better you are at changing with it the better off you will be. Farmers who used machines instead of manual labor where possible were able to farm more land cheaper. People who adopted computers when they first started coming out can do far more then people who refused to accept it and wrote it off. Rotary telephones, newspapers, 8 track, VHS, DVDs are all examples of great technology for the time but are obsolete now.

Same goes for a vehicle radio, it can only do one thing, play music. Infotainment systems can do a bunch of things. Tie that to your phone with android or apple and they become even more valuable. Look at cutting edge technology, old things are being made better. Vehicles are starting to replace mirrors with screens, which can't be obstructed by what is inside of the vehicle and offer a wider angle of view.

Sponsored

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Because due to whole-vehicle integration with the infotainment console...You wind up spending a great deal of time in the vehicle having to deal with it.

Most would be happy if it just...Went away. I know I would. Just let me slap my phone on the dash and use it. It's always better and more up-to-date anyway.

But they're here to stay, and the way they're implemented and integrated has a huge impact on the driver experience. So people are gonna talk aboot it.
Get rid of all that Fluff! and just give me 3.5 jack to plug in anything!
From 1985-2021

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Touch screens are bad ergonomics. physical Buttons and especially dials are superior for driving.

it’s damned near impossible to control the Spotify on my phone when driving. The “button” area that I need to touch is bouncing all over and too small.

I hope that Apple Car Play has this figured out. Voice recognition could help but only if the programming is great.

Guages are superior to digital displays. They don’t move and you know exactly what they’re saying.

having the numbers a digital speedometer nudge up and down all the time is counter productive. 52, 55, 53 - what speed am I going? With a physical dial it’s much better.

“there - that speed where the needle is at - that’s OK in a 45 zone.”

I’m glad I won’t have to fiddle with the screen for the AC controls. it’s maddening enough to find a good temp. Set and forget doesn’t work well when the sun is out - hot then not then hot then not

hands free driving sounds terrible. The drivers out there are already brains free, now you’re going to encourage them to let go of the wheel and mentally check out? Yeah, that’s going to end ooorly.

Julz670

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Previously: '83 and '95 Bronco XLTs. RIP.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Having gone from a shitty 90s car to a newer car with Android Auto, rearview camera, navi, bluetooth and the works in the infotainment, then BACK to a car without any of that, I must say that I REALLY appreciate a good infotainment system that does what you want to make your life easier. Never felt like a big deal before I had any of that stuff, smartphone mounted to an airvent worked fine. After having that stuff then going back to this medieval setup I have now, I am very much looking forward to having Sync 4! Not to mention Android Auto and Apple Carplay are wireless now?! YES!

Also, side note, based on all the various rental vehicles I have driven, I always thought Ford's Sync infotainment was the best, it just worked in a way that made sense to me and all the features were compatible with the phones I had at the time. Can't really remember specifics but in other vehicles I've rented there's always something about the infotainment that bugs me, whether it only had Apple Carplay but no Android, or it wouldn't display song/artist info on screen for bluetooth music, etc... Small things, but still noticeable things that bugged me kinda.

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Remember 20 years ago when you used to be able to pick half settings between blend combos in the heating/AC?? (say the setting between feet and feet/vents, sent more air to feet than vent, not equal amounts of air). Not sure why this feature died with electronic pushbutton/screen, heating/AC controls.

Yes!!!
Totally agree!
I want to control where, and
How much heat/air goes Dammit!
Specially in different seasons, and what you’re wearing depends on where are you might want more heat or cool!!
Sponsored