Sponsored

Why is everyone hellbent on infotainment specs?

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Having gone from a shitty 90s car to a newer car with Android Auto, rearview camera, navi, bluetooth and the works in the infotainment, then BACK to a car without any of that, I must say that I REALLY appreciate a good infotainment system that does what you want to make your life easier. Never felt like a big deal before I had any of that stuff, smartphone mounted to an airvent worked fine. After having that stuff then going back to this medieval setup I have now, I am very much looking forward to having Sync 4! Not to mention Android Auto and Apple Carplay are wireless now?! YES!

Also, side note, based on all the various rental vehicles I have driven, I always thought Ford's Sync infotainment was the best, it just worked in a way that made sense to me and all the features were compatible with the phones I had at the time. Can't really remember specifics but in other vehicles I've rented there's always something about the infotainment that bugs me, whether it only had Apple Carplay but no Android, or it wouldn't display song/artist info on screen for bluetooth music, etc... Small things, but still noticeable things that bugged me kinda.
I’ll have to admit, I’ve been working on a friends 1969 bronco, and I forgot how archaic it is, yeah it’s cool as heck and everybody talks to you and ask you questions but they don’t have to drive it! I can’t wait to get my new Bronco!
Sponsored

TimmH

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As my newer cars had new features, that initially I didn't care for, there are some that I will not buy another vehicle without.

I had a Ford Escape with 4" screen and backup camera. I drove trucks I know how to use my mirrors, I thought. Then a few months in, it's something I couldn't live without. It also did not have Sirius Radio which I was already a subscriber. I spent a pretty penny changing out that oddly shaped console to get Sirius.

After a transmission warranty issue I traded it in on an Edge with a larger 7"? screen, push button screen, proximity locks, AND sirius.

I then traded the Edge in on a Wrangle in 2018 because I wanted something more rugged, but not a truck, and the Bronco while being talked about on forums, was not officially announced yet. I have a larger 8" screen, android auto, push button, but dammit, I don't have proximity locks and it annoys the heck out of me now. :)

It helps that I am in IT and like gadgets, but there are some things I will not do without anymore if at all possible. But on the other side of that there are some thing I just don't think I want or at least I want to be able to turn off. like Blind Spot monitoring, adaptive Cruise, etc., but I'm sure once I have them, I will adapt to them and just accept/want them.

KAQ

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru Crosstreck
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Honestly for me it's a safety thing, with carplay and a goof screen I can take calls and texts and reply to both without taking my hands off the wheels or eyes off the road.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Rotary telephones
Find me a rotary phone that still doesn't work, LOL!! And they will still work, 20 years after these new broncos bricked themselves (someday).

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm probably on the older end of the scale here (51 yrs old).. here's my perspective:
I bought a brand new ZR2 Bison about 3.5 months ago and have used it plenty for off road fun already... trail drives, mud runs, snow-wheeling, sand dunes, beach, off-road park, etc... but in the end, all of that only makes up probably less than 5% of my total time behind the wheel so far (4500 miles total). I came from a 2016 Mustang, and there were some conveniences that I had to give up going from the Mustang to the truck (even though the truck is 5 years newer), and things I do miss - cooled seats, dual climate control, premium sound system (even though the truck has the Bose system, it's not as good as the Mustang), and a few other little things. I do wish the truck had blind spot assist, a front camera for some of the trails I've been on, or steep hills when climbing things, and I now totally see the value in those features. However, I understand that a lot of the bells/whistles were given up in favor of more functional features such as front and rear lockers, skid plates, winch capable bumper, heavy duty rear bumper, DSSV shocks, etc.
All that being said - the majority of the 'behind the wheel' time, will NOT be off-road.. so I do want those creature comforts and conveniences in my vehicle to make road trips and work commutes more enjoyable and comfortable for my wife and I (and our dogs). I have started using tools like Gaia GPS for trails in areas where there's no service, so having something like that integrated into the vehicle would be fantastic too.

Cliffs notes: give me all the gadgets.

*edit - also, as a 51 yr old.. I am LOVING the ride of the Bison with the soft, off-road suspension.. I'm glad the Bronco is geared more towards off road capability/comfort than towing capacity.. if people want something to tow a trailer, go buy an F250 ... I'd be happy if they made the suspension even softer on the Bronco and reduced the towing capacity to 1000 lbs!

Last edited:

Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah! How are Blind people supposed to drive?!!
you joke, but this is mainly about keeping your eyes on the road and off all the flashy controls in the center dash.

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not trying to be rude to those that really care about this, just trying to understand why there is such emphasis on vehicle infotainment recently

I frequently hear things like "Brand X is really dropping that ball since they haven't included Apple Car Play", "The screen on model Y is too small", " I really like Ford's Sync Z", etc. I'm one of the younger guys here and my two vehicles are from 1988 and 1994. Why all the focus on infotainment? Do you really a screen to stare at during every stage of your day?

Please enlighten me.
I'm not staring at the screen. I want a voice-controlled, fully connected experience that I can ask for directions or play my Spotify playlists without the need to touch the screen.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm not staring at the screen. I want a voice-controlled, fully connected experience that I can ask for directions or play my Spotify playlists without the need to touch the screen.
Some apparently don't understand how to fully use technology and refuse to learn.

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Remember 20 years ago when you used to be able to pick half settings between blend combos in the heating/AC?? (say the setting between feet and feet/vents, sent more air to feet than vent, not equal amounts of air). Not sure why this feature died with electronic pushbutton/screen, heating/AC controls.

s-l1600.jpg
Just wait until our automotive controls are voice-only.

Me: "Hey Siri, turn up the heat."

Siri: "OK. Now playing Heat of the Summer by Young the Giant."

Me: "Eff!"

Sponsored

WadeWolf76

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Wrangler JK Willy's, 67 Ford Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It just seems odd that a new vehicle in 2021 wouldn't have both fruit and robot compatibility.

Nellman

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Find me a rotary phone that still doesn't work, LOL!! And they will still work, 20 years after these new broncos bricked themselves (someday).
You would have to first find a working landline. A lot of landlines are digital now and your rotary phone would not work unless you find an actual landline. Hell same goes for fax machines not adapted for the digital landlines.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You would have to first find a working landline. A lot of landlines are digital now and your rotary phone would not work unless you find an actual landline. Hell same goes for fax machines not adapted for the digital landlines.
NJ still has copper land lines through Verizon, but AT & T will disconnect all their copper lines in May this year. But I was talking about the actual phones, which I don't think in 25ish odd years of using them growing up, I ever saw one fail.

Comparing that to this new car tech stuff, which can (and sometimes does), all by itself, literally "total" your rig to the point of having the manufacturer buy it back, to phones that ALL worked for 50 odd years, was a really bad example on your part.

Reactions: Axe

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 2021 Silverado 1500 ecodiesel has wireless Apple CarPlay, it’s the shit. I like that Waze comes up automatically to help me find the cops, Spotify automatically connects and starts playing, etc. My wife’s Tacoma has plug in Apple CarPlay, I’m just not a fan of having to plug in my phone every time I get in the truck.

My Bronco order is for a Badlands with high package. I had to get all the tech to get heated seats with a manual, then figured the extra $1300 for the high over mid would be worth it. I liked the 360 camera and front parking sensors in my Raptor.

GoesOverAnyTerrain

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Ascent
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
CarPlay and Android Auto has been the best thing that happened to infotainment. Removes the terrible vehicle manufactures UI that we all had to suffer through for way too long. Also, I'm glad the Bronco takes the ability to the max with wireless support.
Sponsored