Sponsored

Rats! In the engine bay (not a horror movie title).

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

People with Broncos on Dirt Mountain, just pretend you never saw this thread.
Believe me... I'm trying. Gonna have another drink.
Sponsored

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi Folks,

Took our first trip in the Bronco up to my in-laws property that is in the high-desert mountains outside San Diego. Pretty remote area and around 4500ft elevation. One issue they have always had is rats chewing up soft bits in the engine compartment of their cars.

Well, this morning I came out and saw that I had a visitor in my engine bay as well. They chewed up the soft liner outside of the battery, and also a bit of a label on a wiring harness (pics attached). Nothing serious, but I think I got lucky that it was very minimal.

For those of you that live in area where this is a problem, what are the best products/strategies to avoid this?

I've heard leaving the hood up helps, but any other suggestions?

Thanks!

PXL_20210906_190736243.jpg

PXL_20210906_190730423.jpg

We have a vacation place in Colorado at 8500' and the mice are awful. I have a John Deere skid steer and Polaris SxS there. I keep lights under the hood and in the cab on both. Also those plug in ultrasonic repellers for added insurance. Here at home my 2020 SD stays in the barn, we only use it occasionally. I keep a drop light under the hood. Knock on wood. so far no mice problems. In our camper we have tried lrish spring soap, fresh cab, moth balls and every other gimmick we have read about or bought. None work. I now leave all of the lights on and no mice problem..

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sponsored

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When we go to high elevations I get under the rig and spray brake clean around. Havenā€™t had a problem where others have.
I was going to suggest spreading rat poison around the perimeter of the vehicle...Then I thought that might upset PETA or something. Your gonna get the Sierra club all riled up! NO I am not trying to make this political! Just stating facts.

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is a common problem when parking at remote, high-altitude trailheads in Colorado. From a book I wrote, here's my advice (too lazy to type so just copying/pasting from the book):

Marmots and pika: Marmots and pika live in alpine environments. They will chew up anything with salt on itā€”meaning, any items that may have residue from your sweat or urine. Donā€™t leave items
like trekking poles or boots unattended or outside overnight. You can sprinkle coyote urine, sold at garden shops, around your campsite to keep them at bay. If a trailhead has a serious marmot
problem, you may have to put chicken wire or plastic snow fencing around the bottom of the car to prevent them from crawling up into the engine and chewing on your carā€™s wiring. Alternatively, use a large tarp. Drive over it to secure the tarp under your front tires and wrap it over the hood.

I'm thinking the limb lifters on the hood will be handy for tying off a tarp.

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Big ol Tom Cat

Sponsored

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Won't they just chew through the tarp?
No, just like they don't usually chew into tents. They're attracted to the wiring insulation. It tastes good, apparently. At least, to rodents.

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is a common problem when parking at remote, high-altitude trailheads in Colorado. From a book I wrote, here's my advice (too lazy to type so just copying/pasting from the book):

Marmots and pika: Marmots and pika live in alpine environments. They will chew up anything with salt on itā€”meaning, any items that may have residue from your sweat or urine. Donā€™t leave items
like trekking poles or boots unattended or outside overnight. You can sprinkle coyote urine, sold at garden shops, around your campsite to keep them at bay. If a trailhead has a serious marmot
problem, you may have to put chicken wire or plastic snow fencing around the bottom of the car to prevent them from crawling up into the engine and chewing on your carā€™s wiring. Alternatively, use a large tarp. Drive over it to secure the tarp under your front tires and wrap it over the hood.

I'm thinking the limb lifters on the hood will be handy for tying off a tarp.
I am just a little curious about the book you wrote. Do you mind sharing the title? I may have read it already.

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Won't they just chew through the tarp?
the tarp will also flap in the wind some and it will make a lot of noise when they get on it kind of scaring them away. Assuming itā€™s a plastic style tarp. If itā€™s canvas they may actually like it.

chartzilla

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Land Rover Disco 2, '79 Corvette, '17 Elantra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I live at about 7000 feet in Colorado and have had mice/rat problems in all of my vehicles that are parked outside. I had to replace a wire harness in my Hyundai for my headlights a couple years ago, and then last year I had to replace an o2 sensor in my wife's Jeep because a rat chewed through the wire.

My neighbors leave their hood propped open and that seems to help a little. I ended up putting out a couple of those professional bait stations near our driveway (I use the Protecta Evo Express ones), and that seems to be the most effective thing I've tried. Just need to remember to replace the bait every 6 weeks.

I still find evidence of mice from time to time, but nowhere near as often as I used to. Only 100% solution I think is to park in the garage, unfortunately I don't have enough room for all our cars. I guess if they ever chew through an expensive wire harness, i'll have to use my insurance.

Also it never occurred to me that higher elevations have anything to do with the problem, but i've seen that mentioned a few times in this thread. Are there more rodents at higher altitude?
Sponsored

Last edited: