Sponsored

Rats! In the engine bay (not a horror movie title).

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am just a little curious about the book you wrote. Do you mind sharing the title? I may have read it already.
Sure, it's called Woman in the Wild: The Everywoman's Guide to Hiking, Camping, and Backcountry Travel. Maybe your wife has it? Though I've heard from several men who really enjoyed it too, including my Wilderness First Aid instructor - just took that class for the third time this weekend and he recommended my book to everyone in the class. So maybe you did read it :)

This really is a very common problem here in Colorado. I've heard of people driving home from a hike only to find a marmot nestled under their hood.
Sponsored

Wilbur's son

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ranger 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Put Carl Spackler on the job? Seriously, I seem to remember that DIA had a huge problem with brake lines being eaten while in long term parking.

Carl Spackler.jpg

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

rodents also don't like hot peppers, I mix bulk cayenne powder into my bird seeds for the feeder, squirrels and rats don't want any of that. You can also buy rodent repellent at the hardware store. I might just toss some into the Bronco when out camping in the wild, sprinkle some around the truck to make it less tasty. Sure would not want to get stuck in some remote area with chewed wires requiring a very expensive recovery tow and repair. and maybe a sealed box with mothballs in old socks to just place around at night.

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Also it never occurred to me that higher elevations have anything to do with the problem, but i've seen that mentioned a few times in this thread. Are there more rodents at higher altitude?
Yes, marmots and pika. People tend to snack at trailheads so the rodents know they're good places to pick up crumbs. And people typically leave their vehicles for long periods of time - I might do an 18-mile hike, for example, which could take all day. Backpackers leave their cars for several days. It's like a big buffet out there for hungry rodents.

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Rats chewed up the knock sensor wiring on my Tundra (apparently a common issue with Yotas)…kinda my fault for not using it often (trying to keep mileage on it low). I started using this and no issue so far…

D6A277F5-3386-4EA0-8023-16D36DE8EC16.png

Sponsored

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sure, it's called Woman in the Wild: The Everywoman's Guide to Hiking, Camping, and Backcountry Travel. Maybe your wife has it? Though I've heard from several men who really enjoyed it too, including my Wilderness First Aid instructor - just took that class for the third time this weekend and he recommended my book to everyone in the class. So maybe you did read it :)

This really is a very common problem here in Colorado. I've heard of people driving home from a hike only to find a marmot nestled under their hood.
It was not your book but an off-road book I use here in Colorado. Pretty much same advice. But I am looking into your book for my wife now for her birthday!

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Find another place to spend weekends.

Ricky_gibbs

Base
First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini countryman
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just set you car to turn on randomly throughout the night that way if they do get in there they will be scared off or they will get caught

Sponsored

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hi Folks,

Took our first trip in the Bronco up to my in-laws property that is in the high-desert mountains outside San Diego. Pretty remote area and around 4500ft elevation. One issue they have always had is rats chewing up soft bits in the engine compartment of their cars.

Well, this morning I came out and saw that I had a visitor in my engine bay as well. They chewed up the soft liner outside of the battery, and also a bit of a label on a wiring harness (pics attached). Nothing serious, but I think I got lucky that it was very minimal.

For those of you that live in area where this is a problem, what are the best products/strategies to avoid this?

I've heard leaving the hood up helps, but any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Ford Bronco Rats! In the engine bay (not a horror movie title). D6A277F5-3386-4EA0-8023-16D36DE8EC16

Ford Bronco Rats! In the engine bay (not a horror movie title). D6A277F5-3386-4EA0-8023-16D36DE8EC16
It has been my experience mothballs and dryer sheets don’t work. For long term storage the Carrera sleeps the winter away zipped up in a https://www.carbag.com/. Have found nuts under the bag in the spring but not inside.

WClintM

Badlands
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Poison everywhere.

Wolfie272

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Jeep Wrangler, 19 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dryer sheets have worked for me, ~ 1000’ elevation. Maybe they get more aggressive higher? The guy with the Brakleen idea might be onto something….

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Dryer sheets have worked for me, ~ 1000’ elevation. Maybe they get more aggressive higher? The guy with the Brakleen idea might be onto something….
More aggressive, and a lot bigger. Pika are like big rats. Marmots are like really big rats - up to two feet long and ten pounds in weight. On popular trails, they'll literally try to steal food out of your pack or even your hand while you're eating.
Sponsored