Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been thinking about this.

I've roll started my Subaru a number of times. But it has a key ignition, so I can turn on the ignition without activating the starter. The Bronce has push button start, so how do you turn on the ignition without also activating the starter?
Don’t put your foot on the brake or clutch shouldn’t allow it to crank.
Sponsored

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I accidentally killed the engine the other day, as soon as I pressed the clutch in, the engine started.

Bad hand

Badlands
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I suppose it's my fault for not specifying an EFI vehicle made in the last decade with a dead battery. I don't consider the vehicles made in the 80s and 90s to be any where in the same ballpark in the fuel/spark area to have even considered that just because they worked, any vehicle made in the 20s would work. Todays computers and fuel systems are not the same as the 80s. I wouldn't even consider them close enough to compare, so that's why I really wasn't in the mindset that if it worked in the 80s, it damn well will work in the 20s. I just wasn't thinking throttle body era vehicles to be in the same class when discussing the Bronco.

So I'll take the blame for that. Definitely my fault and I was not clear. Something made in the last decade. Seems as adamant some are it works with a dead battery would be able to show it does, but like I said before, I'll be prepared for other means of self rescue until someone actually shows it can work with a dead battery. As I said in the first post, it needs gas. I just don't see how it's going to get it without a good battery, but I am certainly willing to be shown the light.

I wonder about modern Jeeps. They still make them in a MT, right? Surely someone here in this thread knows if they roll start on a dead battery. Do they? They must if it always has worked and always will work. IDK though as I don't own a Jeep. I do own a MT Tacoma though, and know I better have plenty of juice if I want to roll start it. At least it has a key to put the electronics in the on position and clutch over ride switch, but it still needs power.

Surely there are some other Jeep and Tacoma owners on here with MT made in the last few years. How do you roll start your vehicle with a dead battery? Maybe there's an easy work around.
doesn’t answer the question of a dead battery. But found on jeep forums:
On the JKs you put the vehicle in 4Lo and it disables the need to press the clutch to start. On the TJs, you pull fuse I believe.

On a JL I was able to kind of test the push start feature that I was curious about when I started this thread. While in their parking lot, I accelerated in 1st gear and right when I would need to shift into 2nd, I put it into neutral with my foot on the the clutch and then pressed the stop/start button to turn off the engine. Once I verified that the engine was not running, I pressed the button so that it went into the run position, shifted into 2nd gear, and popped the clutch. It started up like it was supposed to, so I guess my question has been answered.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
All three of my Bronco IIs, all with 2.9L Electronic Fuel Injected engine and with electric fuel pumps. 88, 89 and 87 model years. I had such a dead battery on my 88 and was so poor I ended up roll starting it in reverse every day to go to work for 2 weeks till I got paid. At work it was more challenging as it was flat and I had to push it then jump in to get it started.
Back in the day, I drove my old CJ-5 for a month with a bum alternator. I'd charge the battery overnight. Next day drive approx. 50miles round trip to university. Most everything was mechanically powered on that vehicle, mainly needed to be careful about headlight usage.
Sponsored