First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Big Bend, 2 door, 7spd
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Can we do the old school roll and throw in gear to start the vehicle? I always wondered that about newer vehicle with push button start and manual transmission.
Sponsored

braften

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco. goodbye accord, you served well
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe it isnt possible because you need to press the clutch in to start it with the button.maybe you can somehow bypass it with some redneck wiring, but it currently requires the clutch to be in before it will let the spark work.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Need juice for the fuel pump.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I believe it isnt possible because you need to press the clutch in to start it with the button.maybe you can somehow bypass it with some redneck wiring, but it currently requires the clutch to be in before it will let the spark work.
Disclaimer: I know nothing about Bronco MT. But….

I don’t believe this is a thing. The clutch press is required to engage the STARTER - not to enable the ignition system. Otherwise, soon as you start to drive away and release the clutch, the engine dies.

My gut tells me you should be able to compression start a MT Bronco (as you can most manual transmission vehicles)

OP
OP
PearlJamFanLV

PearlJamFanLV

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Big Bend, 2 door, 7spd
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm aware of that, I wasn't thinking you just throw into gear. I used to have a 89 Ranger that I could roll start. You start down hill, with the clutch in, then release it in 2nd gear and it jumps to life, key would be in the on position.

Sponsored

braften

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco. goodbye accord, you served well
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Disclaimer: I know nothing about Bronco MT. But….

I don’t believe this is a thing. The clutch press is required to engage the STARTER - not to enable the ignition system. Otherwise, soon as you start to drive away and release the clutch, the engine dies.

My gut tells me you should be able to compression start a MT Bronco (as you can most manual transmission vehicles)
i get that, im saying the computer wont let the coils work if the clutch isn't in.

I'm aware of that, I wasn't thinking you just throw into gear. I used to have a 89 Ranger that I could roll start. You start down hill, with the clutch in, then release it in 2nd gear and it jumps to life, key would be in the on position.

i think the computer still needs to see the clutch in before it'll let the coils work. feel free to try a roll start if you want and prove me wrong, id be glad to see it. i just dont think the brain box will let it happen.

SVTLightning

Badlands
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have tried to turn it off while driving and that doesn’t work.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

oooo….now I gotta find someone with an MT and try it.

I’ve just never heard of a vehicle that you couldn’t do this with. And I can’t really think of what the mechanism would be to disable it. Can’t be clutch related as the clutch engages/disengages during normal operation. How would the computer know the difference between a compression start and a super slow rock crawl? And if it could, why would anybody even waste time designing that in the first place? To what end?

But I’ll admit - when you’ve got a million sensors in a vehicle…anything’s possible.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Again, you have to have fuel.
Go unhook the battery and give’r a try.
Report back.

SVTLightning

Badlands
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Report back.
This was the second time I tried it and it was not happy! First time started up no problem. 100% dead battery sure maybe an issue but having not enough power to start but enough to power fuel pump is another thing. Sorry for the poor video I wasn’t sure what was happening second time. Disconnected battery and reset everything and all is well again, LOL!

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This was the second time I tried it and it was not happy! First time started up no problem. 100% dead battery sure maybe an issue but having not enough power to start but enough to power fuel pump is another thing. Sorry for the poor video I wasn’t sure what was happening second time. Disconnected battery and reset everything and all is well again, LOL!
So the answer to the OP’s question of “can you compression start a MT Bronco” is “yes”. (As you said, the first time it worked). So long as you have enough battery power to run the electronics (which is less than is needed to run the starter motor).

But obviously - if the battery is stone cold dead that’s a whole ’nother thread. In that case, I wouldn’t expect it to start (e.g. no fuel pump, no computer, no just about everything).

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Report back.
Yes fuel is needed, but there are plenty of manual trans vehicles that can be roll started even with dead batteries. The bit of alternator action gives enough juice to put some fuel in.
Sponsored