Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've roll started mine, but only ran a few seconds with a ton of errors. Too much complicated electronics and not optimized well enough to permit starting this way which is a major shame.
Sponsored

SVTLightning

Badlands
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've roll started mine, but only ran a few seconds with a ton of errors. Too much complicated electronics and not optimized well enough to permit starting this way which is a major shame.
Yeah the second time for me same thing. At least had an opportunity to utilize the tool kit!

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes fuel is needed, but there are plenty of manual trans vehicles that can be roll started even with dead batteries. The bit of alternator action gives enough juice to put some fuel in.
Which electronic fuel injected vehicles are those? You aren’t powering the ECU and fuel pumps/injectors with a barely turning alternator.
Good luck. I carry jumper cables.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Buy a jump starter pack and you’ll never need to roll start it again.
Last time I roll started a stick (about a month ago) the problem was a busted starter.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This was the second time I tried it and it was not happy! First time started up no problem. 100% dead battery sure maybe an issue but having not enough power to start but enough to power fuel pump is another thing. Sorry for the poor video I wasn’t sure what was happening second time. Disconnected battery and reset everything and all is well again, LOL!
Well then, I stand corrected. I'm kind of amazed.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Your right, a jump pack won’t help a fix a starter.
And the time before that was a corroded electrical cable. Couldn't get enough amperage through to the starter.

Damn, my daughter really needs a newer car. But she refuses to drive an automatic. Must take after me.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I mean, why don't you try it, on a nice, quite steep hill, with your friend or kid recording you live stream to these forums.

Ok, full disclosure: I had to start several clunkers my dad had, with him doing this very thing, and the videos of it would've been everlovin' golden.

"Pop it! POP IT! NOW NOW!" Clang! Pop chuggle chug scree! Run into curb after half-pirouette.

"Why didn't you pop it when I said so!" Puffing breaths. "Where's your friend Eric? Get him to help me push. Or you push! Get out. I don't have all day!"

So. much. fun. :whistle:

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Which electronic fuel injected vehicles are those? You aren’t powering the ECU and fuel pumps/injectors with a barely turning alternator.
Good luck. I carry jumper cables.
All three of my Bronco IIs, all with 2.9L Electronic Fuel Injected engine and with electric fuel pumps. 88, 89 and 87 model years. I had such a dead battery on my 88 and was so poor I ended up roll starting it in reverse every day to go to work for 2 weeks till I got paid. At work it was more challenging as it was flat and I had to push it then jump in to get it started.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

All three of my Bronco IIs, all with 2.9L Electronic Fuel Injected engine and with electric fuel pumps. 88, 89 and 87 model years. I had such a dead battery on my 88 and was so poor I ended up roll starting it in reverse every day to go to work for 2 weeks till I got paid. At work it was more challenging as it was flat and I had to push it then jump in to get it started.
Well yeah, I’ll agree that most 80s model manuals will roll start. Not quite the same as a modern vehicle though.
Anyway, jumper cables will be good to have. In any vehicle.

SVTLightning

Badlands
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well yeah, I’ll agree that most 80s model manuals will roll start. Not quite the same as a modern vehicle though.
Anyway, jumper cables will be good to have. In any vehicle.
I’ve got video proof that it will start with this method. Wish I had gotten the video with no errors too but I didn’t. Why do you keep arguing that it won’t work?

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Isn't there a "Start in Gear" function, and if so, I wonder if it would help?

Again, assuming enough battery to power the electronics etc etc, but not enough to turn the starter motor.

SVTLightning

Badlands
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Isn't there a "Start in Gear" function, and if so, I wonder if it would help?

Again, assuming enough battery to power the electronics etc etc, but not enough to turn the starter motor.
I think maybe it only works in 4 low.
Ford Bronco Roll start in a 7MT? 9EE1A39E-CE3E-4D19-8CB2-12874FCA59E8

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve got video proof that it will start with this method. Wish I had gotten the video with no errors too but I didn’t. Why do you keep arguing that it won’t work?

If that was with a dead battery, then yeah, I stand corrected. Lets get the sequence down so we all know how to do it when the battery is dead.
Sponsored