First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch Hardtop. Black
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a Badlands 2022 Bronco with Hard Top. I have seen photos of yakima working with (what looks to be) the OEM roof rails. But I do not have the rails and cannot for the life of me find them for sale anywhere.

Has anyone found a solution? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Its Brawnco

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Raptor, 1978 F100, 2016 Ducati Scrambler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You're gonna need some sort of roof rack (factory or aftermarket) to mount a kayak carrier to. Or you could jerry rig something with straps and pool noodles but that seems very sketchy to me. I went with the TrailRax roof rack and have the Ford Accessory Yakima kayak mount on order

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Guessing you have a 2 door based on your pic? A couple of 2 door racks have popped up but they went fast. Some aftermarket being developed but nothing out that I have heard of.

There are hitch racks that hold it vertically but that seems sketchy for a kayak. That is what I would do if I had to rack a couple of snowboards.

The Riptide concept had a cool rack that went on top of the roll cage. I do a lot of paddle boarding. If I had to take boards on the Bronco I would just take off the top and strap on a couple of crossbars to clear the front window.

For me the roof rack ruins the look of the 2 door but family has a three row with a rack so I didn't need it.

Ford Bronco Roof mounting a kayak bronco-riptide-concept-08-1629155601

OP
OP
CamBam

CamBam

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Guessing you have a 2 door based on your pic? A couple of 2 door racks have popped up but they went fast. Some aftermarket being developed but nothing out that I have heard of.

There are hitch racks that hold it vertically but that seems sketchy for a kayak. That is what I would do if I had to rack a couple of snowboards.

The Riptide concept had a cool rack that went on top of the roll cage. I do a lot of paddle boarding. If I had to take boards on the Bronco I would just take off the top and strap on a couple of crossbars to clear the front window.

For me the roof rack ruins the look of the 2 door but family has a three row with a rack so I didn't need it.

Ford Bronco Roof mounting a kayak bronco-riptide-concept-08-1629155601
Thank you! I actually have the four door (changed my avatar to match, im new 😅)

great insights thanks again

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thank you! I actually have the four door (changed my avatar to match, im new 😅)

great insights thanks again
Haha. If you have 4 door wait a bit. Looks like a few companies are working on racks for them.

Or just stick 2/3 out the back window like a pro.

Sponsored

taconic41

Black Diamond
First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond, Sasquatch, 7MT, Race Red.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My 49# Pungo 120 strapped onto the factory roof rails.

20220713_090922.jpg

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have the same dilemma. Unfortunately there are not many options. And the limited options are very expensive. The factory rack is one option but you still need to purchase the cross rails, then kayak carriers. Going to be mid 1K at least. Then one other manufacturer that makes a rack that looks like or includes a basket with it and it's probably around $2500.

I am very surprised that Yakima and Thule have nothing to offer at this point. I have been going them for years for racks and carriers. Maybe in another year or two....

I personally think the best option is a cheap 4 X 8 folding trailer. They are about $600 and fold up- provided you have the spacer somewhere to store it. You would have to make some type of bolt on supports - I was thinking out of pressure treated lumber. Then of course you need a hitch and wiring on your Bronco. But total cost would be around $900, 1/2 or 1/3 the cost of the other options at the moment. The last option (which I am considering actually- getting an older classic) is get a cheap pick up to go with your Bronco.

taconic41

Black Diamond
First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond, Sasquatch, 7MT, Race Red.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I took the Yakima Timberline towers and roundbars off the other car and mounted them on the factory Bronco rack, so this is the current setup. This is a BD Sasquatch, so those bars are a Long Way up off the ground.

20220902_090841.jpg

OP
OP
CamBam

CamBam

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I took the Yakima Timberline towers and roundbars off the other car and mounted them on the factory Bronco rack, so this is the current setup. This is a BD Sasquatch, so those bars are a Long Way up off the ground.

20220902_090841.jpg
Wish I could find those factory roof rails somewhere 😖

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My leading candidate for roof rack setup are the Valkyrie modular crossbars and a roof platform that only covers the rear section of hardtop (basically emulating the fishing concept rack). Still maintains front/mid panel ease of removal and also should give plenty of surface area to tie anything down. Bonus is a rear cargo platform is easily accessible with slide out tailgate.

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Can't your dealer order them through Ford Accessories? They have been in the catalog forever. Doesn't mean in stock, nut certainly can order

Jeffz95

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan NV 4x4 van, 78 911, 08 Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
For sure not the least expensive option but I just installed a Gobi rack yesterday and stopped by Rack Attack in Denver on way home. Picked up Yakima Sweet Roll kayak rack that will bolt right to cross bars.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I could be wrong but if you just google 2 door bronco roof rack there are at least 10 options for aftermarket roof racks out there.

Being that I have a soft top I am going to go with the EXR racks that sit under the top can't imagine there will be very many rainy days I would decide to take out the paddle board.

campbebc

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
They popup on here and on Facebook from time to time, I got one for $700 shipped from another member. Then sold it for $700 and went with the 4DR Trailrax TRMR rack. Thule J-hook rack (I have one) would definitely work on factory roof rails

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Depending on how far you're going, I've used these pads
These Dakine pads
and strapped through the windows on my jeep for a paddleboard. It kinda sucks with the straps inside in front of you but for a shorter trip to the water it's fine and cheap.

With the top off, I just put a pad on the top of the windshield and another on the rear rollbar and strap them down to the rollbar. That's the preferable option but for trips where you want the top on it's of course not good. The Gobi Racks and similar that mount on top of the soft top just look horrible to me.
Sponsored