Roof mounting a kayak

Bronc69

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, 2022 X3 (wife's), 2015 GTI (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was back and forth of how to carry all my toys to the lake. I'm not sure I want to put both my kayaks, plus my SUP's on the roof - or if that's even possible.

My wife has to help me getting the kayaks/SUPs on the vehicle. It really wasn't an issue with her 2022 X3, but the Bronco is 8" taller than the X3 and that does make quite a bit of a difference.

Basically, I have less than a 10 minute drive to the lake. I could literally make two trips if I wanted to. But, I'm more than likely going with a folding trailer that is light enough to store in my garage and able to carry all my toys, plus accessories, to the lake at once.
It's a full 4' x 8' and has a 1720lbs capacity. This is much larger and higher than any roof rack.
If you do a search on YouTube, there are modifications you can make to the trailer to make it even more user friendly (like upgrading the bearings and wheels/tires for higher speeds). Still would be well under $1000 all in.
Setting up and loading will be a breeze. Not to mention, I'll be able to have my roof/doors off if I chose to without any rails in the way.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1720-lb-capacity-48-in-x-96-in-super-duty-folding-trailer-62671.html

Or, if you have the space, this thing has a 2200lbs capacity.
https://www.allamericantrailersllc....lity-wood-pressured-utility-trailer-xaBn.html

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was back and forth of how to carry all my toys to the lake. I'm not sure I want to put both my kayaks, plus my SUP's on the roof - or if that's even possible.

My wife has to help me getting the kayaks/SUPs on the vehicle. It really wasn't an issue with her 2022 X3, but the Bronco is 8" taller than the X3 and that does make quite a bit of a difference.

Basically, I have less than a 10 minute drive to the lake. I could literally make two trips if I wanted to. But, I'm more than likely going with a folding trailer that is light enough to store in my garage and able to carry all my toys, plus accessories, to the lake at once.
It's a full 4' x 8' and has a 1720lbs capacity. This is much larger and higher than any roof rack.
If you do a search on YouTube, there are modifications you can make to the trailer to make it even more user friendly (like upgrading the bearings and wheels/tires for higher speeds). Still would be well under $1000 all in.
Setting up and loading will be a breeze. Not to mention, I'll be able to have my roof/doors off if I chose to without any rails in the way.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1720-lb-capacity-48-in-x-96-in-super-duty-folding-trailer-62671.html

Or, if you have the space, this thing has a 2200lbs capacity.
https://www.allamericantrailersllc....lity-wood-pressured-utility-trailer-xaBn.html
This folding trailer is a great recommendation! We’ve been looking for a solution for taking the kayaks when we go kayak in camping in more remote locations, they are bigger so loading them both up on the roof of the bronco hasn’t been a great option. Thanks for the link! Didn’t even know they made folding trailers!

what we’ve been doing so far isn’t going to work anymore as now we have the RTT and our kid is getting bigger so we need the two kayaks
Ford Bronco Roof mounting a kayak C9D5E278-D56F-46ED-BE73-DD71012A7D19

Last edited:

Bronc69

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This folding trailer is a great recommendation! We’ve been looking for a solution for taking the kayaks when we go kayak in camping in more remote locations, they are bigger so loading them both up on the roof of the bronco hasn’t been a great option. Thanks for the link! Didn’t even know they made folding trailers!

what we’ve been doing so far isn’t going to work anymore as now we have the RTT and our kid is getting bigger so we need the two kayaks
Ford Bronco Roof mounting a kayak C9D5E278-D56F-46ED-BE73-DD71012A7D19
Seeing this makes me 100% sure that I'm going to need a trailer.
We have two kayaks, however, one of them is a 2-1/2 person, meaning it's a two-person kayak, with the option to have a third person on-board, sitting in the middle that basically are along for the ride. They don't have a "seat", but there's more than enough room for someone to tag along. It's a great option.
The big one weighs about 70lbs. In a fit of rage, I am able to basically pick it up and just throw it on top of of the X3. That won't be an option with the Bronco since it's just too tall to do that.

The nice thing about the trailer is that you can actually make a kayak rack to mount a kayak carrier to (like a Thule or Yakima). This rack would elevate the kayak above the trailer (maybe 2 or 3 feet), so you have the entire 4x8 area to pack your gear. Again, freeing up the inside of the Bronco for luggage or any additional gear that you have.

This will give you an idea of what's possible. Pretty inexpensive too.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
We have two kayaks, however, one of them is a 2-1/2 person, meaning it's a two-person kayak, with the option to have a third person on-board, sitting in the middle that basically are along for the ride. They don't have a "seat", but there's more than enough room for someone to tag along. It's a great option.
The big one weighs about 70lbs. In a fit of rage, I am able to basically pick it up and just throw it on top of of the X3. That won't be an option with the Bronco since it's just too tall to do that.

The nice thing about the trailer is that you can actually make a kayak rack to mount a kayak carrier to (like a Thule or Yakima). This rack would elevate the kayak above the trailer (maybe 2 or 3 feet), so you have the entire 4x8 area to pack your gear. Again, freeing up the inside of the Bronco for luggage or any additional gear that you have.

I've always used a top rack. What I don't like about that, is people loading the kayaks/canoe on top and dinging the vehicle. And the water/mud running down after an outing, all over the vehicle and sometimes occupants (especially if top is off).

Considering a trailer, but would need to be foldable for storage. Two main concerns are: 1) Limitations on parking with trailer, and 2) My state requires registration and yearly fee.

Sponsored

Bronc69

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've always used a top rack. What I don't like about that, is people loading the kayaks/canoe on top and dinging the vehicle. And the water/mud running down after an outing, all over the vehicle and sometimes occupants (especially if top is off).

Considering a trailer, but would need to be foldable for storage. Two main concerns are: 1) Limitations on parking with trailer, and 2) My state requires registration and yearly fee.
Yup. My concerns with a top rack as well.

There are specific parking areas with trailers at the lake I frequent, so that wouldn't be an issue for me.
I have a registration fee as well in PA.

I think that this would be a better choice for many of us.

pepinote

Big Bend
First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BB 4DR, 2015 Scion tC RS9.0
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Being that I have a soft top I am going to go with the EXR racks that sit under the top can't imagine there will be very many rainy days I would decide to take out the paddle board.
I've been looking at these but have not been convinced enough to buy them. They seem pretty convenient where you can still pull the top over them with no issues.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

PC Austin

Badlands
First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep liberty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

To load a big kayak or canoes by yourself get a boat cushion or life jacket. Place the cushion on the rear of the bronco with a few inches hanging over. Put the bow of the kayak on the cushion with the stern resting on the ground directly behind the bronco. Go to the stern of the kayak and lift up while pushing forward. The cushion protects the roof as the kayak slides onto the roof rails. Remove by reversing the steps.

I’ve loaded my 13’ kayak that way for 14 years.

Sponsored

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm obsessed with this rack. I just need to find an excuse for why I need it. I just order their overland bumper and waiting on my bronco to be built sometime in March.
Its awesome and adds some much needed storage to the interior. Added a fire Extinguisher and a first aid kit to the molle panel portion and an axe mount to the furthest back cross bar.

Really adds something unique as well. I couldn't recommend it more.

PC Austin

Badlands
First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep liberty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Its awesome and adds some much needed storage to the interior. Added a fire Extinguisher and a first aid kit to the molle panel portion and an axe mount to the furthest back cross bar.

Really adds something unique as well. I couldn't recommend it more.
That is very compelling, thanks! Please snap a photo when you get a chance from the interior.

Joey.calc

Black Diamond
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Ford Bronco Roof mounting a kayak 1676400021307
Nice yak! Was looking at Crescent, but I decided to buy a FeelFree Moken. For your rear tie-down, where is that passenger's side strap going (cut off on your photo)? I only have a tow ring on the driver's side (as shown in your photo here) under the license plate and do not have one on the passenger's side. This has made me resort to tying to the tow hitch, but I would prefer using the rings instead.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I thought i had posted on this thread, but looked back and apparently not.

I used the Yakima canoe carrier from Ford $130 on a stock rack, keel over. The Yakima brackets prevent side to side movement. Tie at each crossbar, trail sites and to spare rim, works well.

20220310_170035.jpg

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I found two new sets of Hullavators cheap and am looking for a rack system that will hold two kayaks on the MIC top.

The racks I see don't look like they extend out far enough toward the sides of the vehicle, so I think I would need to add bars on top of the racks just to mount the Hullavators. I don't understand why the aftermarket racks are so narrow - why not extend out to the sides of the vehicle?

I think the Ford rack is rated for only one set of Hullavators and one kayak. Plus you still have to add bars on top and it's difficult to remove the front roof panel under the rack.
Sponsored