First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harleys, Subaru Forester, Dodge Ram Van
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am thinking the Trailer Mounted RTT is the Way to go, with the Plastic Roof Top, of the Bronco…
I am beginning a build, similar to this, with a Smittybilt RTT…just planning to build it lower to the ground…
Ford Bronco Rooftop Tent on a 2-door? 975DCC6E-92D2-4D20-B770-6AD0635214FA

Climber

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado ZR2 Bison
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As a two door and roof top tent owner, I would like to make a couple of points.

1) My first suggestion is to buy a hard shell design. Don’t underestimate how difficult it is to install the fitted cover up on a rooftop in poor weather. Trust me, the extra expense is worth it.

2) Before I got a hard shell RTT, I had a Smitty two person, their cheapest model. This tent worked well, never leaked and aged well. This is a good way to start as it’s a quality piece that will serve you well at a low price to see if an RTT works for you. I sold this tent after two years of use for a little more than I paid, They sell strong on the used market.

3) My biggest complaint about an RTT other than cost is that once setup, it is difficult to move/take down. If you need to leave the site for anything, you have to pack the tent.

4) I am still trying to decide on a Gazelle ground tent or keeping my Alpha II, both have advantages and issues.

Good luck with whatever you decide, I hope my input helps, and have fun out there!

Mom1oo

Wildtrak
First Name
kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I also have a 2dr Black Diamond and plan on putting my rooftop tent on it, but have the same concerns as you. My RTT weighs in at 141 lbs and the dynamic weight limit of the OEM rack is 110 lbs. I've looked at the other options that are out there right now and Zroadz has the highest weight limits. I asked them how they were able to achieve higher weight ratings than the OEM rack while still using the same mounting points. They claim that the additional crossbars allow the weight to spread more evenly which increases the weight limits. I've been waiting to see if someone puts a heavier tent on the OEM rack, or for someone to buy an aftermarket rack and put a heavy tent on it. I don't fully trust that the limits are actually higher because it seems like the weight limit would also be very dependent on the roof itself.
I was told by Ikamper that if you don't have a "moon roof" then weight limit is 150 vs 100. this was for the ikamper 3.0 MINI.... has anyone else heard this?

Sponsored

Julz670

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Previously: '83 and '95 Bronco XLTs. RIP.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was told by Ikamper that if you don't have a "moon roof" then weight limit is 150 vs 100. this was for the ikamper 3.0 MINI.... has anyone else heard this?
Were they talking about a bronco sport? Broncos dont have a moonroof. The dynamic weight limit for the bronco OEM rack definitely isnt 150, I have no idea about the bronco sport though

Cysquatch

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CTS, 1996 Silverado 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Bumping this. My plan is to go with the Trailrax TRMR 2-door Rack with Pak Rax and CVT’s St Helens RTT.

Don’t have the Trailrax yet but had to pull the trigger on the tent since it’s 60% off ($1500) while supplies last. Couldn’t pass that deal up.

https://cascadiatents.com/collections/tents/products/st-helens-tent

Update: apparently I got the last one. Sold out.

ElDuderino

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is that a trailrax roof rack? Was interested in getting a similar setup. Is it easy to remove the roof rack? I enjoy taking the whole roof off the Bronco from time to time.

JaxDiego

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is that a trailrax roof rack? Was interested in getting a similar setup. Is it easy to remove the roof rack? I enjoy taking the whole roof off the Bronco from time to time.
It is, same reason I wanted trailrax. I do like the roof off in the summer. 8 bolts to remove the rack if you keep it in one piece. 20 minutes and the tent and rack can be off.

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the original Superlite from GFC, I bought it with the intention of putting on my 2-door and haven't used it yet. I need GFC's mounting parts in order to load it on the factory roof rack, but trying to get anything from them is like pulling teeth in my experience, you have to go through 6 different people before a person can help you. It weighs 80lb and while it's not pretty I can load it on the high bedrack on my truck by myself (150lbs). I even have a 270 degree awning that only weighs in at 30lbs so i should meet the dynamic max of oem rack, but because it doesn't have t-slots on the crossbars, it's very difficult to figure out how to install anything properly.

I've given up on the OEM rack and ordered a TrailRax, I think it's a better rack, and it makes sense that it can hold more with the Pax Rack that attaches to the body of the vehicle, but those loads they state are all through software and not actually real world. I'd feel more comfortable if TraxRax overloaded there rack on their own Bronco until it failed. I know Leitner does this with their truck Bed Racks.
Sponsored