Sponsored

Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips.

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Version 1.0 installed. Should have went 2” longer on the box. Having bad thoughts about dealing it completely up. I’m not by any means an electrical engineer. Worried about condensation and cooling of the solenoid. I’ll fashion a cover for the terminals and I put drain holes in the bottom just in case. There should be very little splash where it’s located and if I’m that deep in water I have bigger problems. Undecided on a battery cut off as well since the only live wire is the 10-12” lead from the battery to the solenoid. And not sure I want to trust a harbor freight disconnect. I also need to make/find a cover for the remote connection should I ever need it. (And I know the under hood is filthy lol thanks silver lake sand dunes)🤣🤣 I may end up with the 10” box if I can find one the right hieght but the farther back you go the less space you have.
1B301CD0-E81A-4181-9C9E-25C3E9D02E2A.jpeg
D0343CA9-CBE8-42DF-BA82-66AB9A1CD664.jpeg
B81D1423-F829-4870-B46B-E695E51B90E2.jpeg
9A304798-9297-4D09-AE11-8E910E1B3608.jpeg
Well done. That's exactly what I was describing by moving the guts of the control box/solenoid into a project box. I like it.

I''d suggest putting a standard battery cut off on it, no matter how short.. I'd trust a complete cut off between the battery and the winch (which hopefully goes unused 99.99% of the time)... before I'd leave that job to a tiny little power switch on the winch... just my .02
Sponsored

OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well done. That's exactly what I was describing by moving the guts of the control box/solenoid into a project box. I like it.

I''d suggest putting a standard battery cut off on it, no matter how short.. I'd trust a complete cut off between the battery and the winch (which hopefully goes unused 99.99% of the time)... before I'd leave that job to a tiny little power switch on the winch... just my .02
The power switch is only for the wireless remote. It cuts no other power. Power goes to the solenoid. I’ll likely buy a higher quality cutoff and mount it somewhere. After reading up on it the cutoff seems like more of an emergency thing in case the solenoid sticks/malfunctions and starts winching in. The ford performance setup does not include a shut off at all. Hmm as accessible as the battery is I may just disconnect the ground to the which and out a rubber cap on them at least for now.

Last edited:

BroncoDude

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F-150 3.5EB, 2021 2DR Base 2.7L Auto
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Finished up the install today by trimming the plastic covers for the recovery points. Kind of a PITA and someone could make a lot of money if they were to manufacture these pieces. Overall, very happy with how everything turned out and the Rough Country kit is worth the money.

Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. 3B51EFDB-EBD2-4E65-A4EC-BF3EAF5895CD
Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. 94DA47E1-E56E-462B-96F5-D3E14EE89EBE
Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. 6E4D254E-C38D-4CE5-A7FC-AFC56189D978

ChrisInSC

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Grey Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Finished up the install today by trimming the plastic covers for the recovery points. Kind of a PITA and someone could make a lot of money if they were to manufacture these pieces. Overall, very happy with how everything turned out and the Rough Country kit is worth the money.

Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. 6E4D254E-C38D-4CE5-A7FC-AFC56189D978
Best kit out there in my honest opinion. Looks great!

OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Tidy’d up a little more turns out with a little modification the original terminal cover will do and the original rubber port cover will work once I go buy rivets to secure it. Moved some things around and mounted the cut off switch for safety. And yes as soon as put the sticker on I noticed the switch was upside down lol I’ll tackle that someday.
Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. 99A1A654-7C46-4A36-AF16-EBCCD5FAA0C1
Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. C6D48386-C209-4227-A483-A3AC5D2005D0
Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. EB28BFC6-52D8-49AC-8E06-F8E4E619D017

Sponsored

Blaylock1988

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2004 Volkswagen R32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I got my JCR camera relocation installed. Everything on it is good. I think the only downside is it sticks out a bit far forward so its likely to be the first thing to hit the garage wall if I pull in too far, although thats why we have sensors that beep at us too.

My JCR Pre-runner bar is arriving tomorrow, that will complete the bumper for me. I'm not sure if it will stick out further than the camera.

Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. 1656382993143
Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. 1656383040781
Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. 1656383017567
Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. 1656383060640
Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. 1656383068743

OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I got my JCR camera relocation installed. Everything on it is good. I think the only downside is it sticks out a bit far forward so its likely to be the first thing to hit the garage wall if I pull in too far, although thats why we have sensors that beep at us too.

My JCR Pre-runner bar is arriving tomorrow, that will complete the bumper for me. I'm not sure if it will stick out further than the camera.

That’s my concern about it, how far forward it is. But I do like the view of the camera👍. I’m looking forward to how the bar looks when you get it.

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tidy’d up a little more turns out with a little modification the original terminal cover will do and the original rubber port cover will work once I go buy rivets to secure it. Moved some things around and mounted the cut off switch for safety. And yes as soon as put the sticker on I noticed the switch was upside down lol I’ll tackle that someday.
We both decided to put the cutoff in the same place. I didn't think about just doing it vertically. Guess I made a bracket I didn't need to.

20220627_201132.jpg

I'm stealing how you did your project box... including repurposing the unused terminal cover. Looks tight.

Wow. That camera location is really positioned forward... but I'm sure the forward angle of the pre-runner bar will work with it really well.

My OEM bull bar is so vertical... that's not going to be an option. I watched the ASFIR relocation video to move it to the top of the grille. Not a fan... good position... looks pretty amateur-ish... no bueno.

I'm going to have to fab something up from scratch... I've got a couple options going thru my head for a optimal mix of utility/visibility and looks/subtlety... but that's probably going to have to wait until this weekend.

Bronco1988

Big Bend
First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sasquatch Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. 20220627_201132
Looks great can't wait to see it with the prerunner bar! In my head that would be the best looking setup!

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm calling it and going to cut my loses, I have the JCR bracket in the box but I don't think I can handle how this setup is going to look or function for the rest of my life. Anyone in WA want to buy my OEM bumper, RC mount, light bar once my new bumper shows up near end of summer?

Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. IMG_3828

Sponsored

ChrisInSC

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Grey Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you thought about putting the relocation bracket in the back instead of sandwiched between the fairlead and winch plate? May require some cutting though. Would move it a bit back. Not much but it’s something.

Blaylock1988

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2004 Volkswagen R32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have you thought about putting the relocation bracket in the back instead of sandwiched between the fairlead and winch plate? May require some cutting though. Would move it a bit back. Not much but it’s something.
I tried that first and it worked without modification but with my winch it put the camera hose and wire a bit too close to the rope for my comfort. That may work better for others though.

OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Take it back off and return it 🤣 even tho I prefer a higher mounted winch it’s gonna get more rain water then submerged. I’d have went this route. Impatience bit me in the arse.
Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. 47D56AE4-525B-4284-A1BF-BC603F61083A

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Take it back off and return it 🤣 even tho I prefer a higher mounted winch it’s gonna get more rain water then submerged. I’d have went this route. Impatience bit me in the arse.
Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. 47D56AE4-525B-4284-A1BF-BC603F61083A
I think I hate you now... or rough country... or myself... someone.

I like my winch where it is.
I like relocating my camera.
I like relocating my control box.
I like moving my parking sensors.
I like blocking the radiator's air flow.

I'll be saying this for the next week or two.

Thanks. 😑

OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think I hate you now... or rough country... or myself... someone.

I'll be saying this for the next week or two.

Thanks. 😑
🤣🤣 your not alone. The one downside well two in Michigan if I need a winch there’s a good chance I’m in mud or snow pretty deep. With the hidden I’d have to fish around for the end to pull it up. ,
At this point the winch is submerged and as we have seen the control box is NOT water tight!,
You would have to extend the clutch engage lever or lay down and find and then it to unspool the line. Then fish around to re engage it.
You do have to cut some frame extensions off to mount this and if you took a good hit to the front lower you could damage the winch or whatever the winch hits.
I do like my winch higher mounted.
I get a light bar mount this way
My control solenoid is damn high and will not be submerged and if it is I have a lot bigger problems.
Sponsored