First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco BL SAS LUX 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So recently, I was gifted a set of RSE step sliders that came off of a family friend's Bronco. They decided to trade in their WildTrak for a Raptor R. I definitely could not stomach spending 2k+ on a set of side steps, so I was obviously ecstatic (and I still am grateful) that I was gifted the steps. They had the dealer remove them from their WT, but obviously, they didn't do an amazing job. I had multiple items like the spacer brackets, various nuts and bolts, etc... I was able to pick up most of these at my local hardware store and I called RSE to order a set of spacer brackets and new door magnets (the stick-on the old ones were pretty worn out)

So, about two weeks ago, I started installing everything. I ran the wiring through and mounted the step switch. I then made sure to mount each bracket in its correct orientation and mounted the driver's side step. Easy. I tightened each piece of hardware and called it a night.

The next morning, I started working on the passenger step. I replicated the bracket placement from the driver's side onto the passenger side. However, upon getting ready to mount the passenger step, I ran into some trouble. For some reason, I can't get all of the brackets to remain in place while also getting the pinch welds to stick through. I posted a thread on the forum when I ran into this. I got a few helpful tips and tricks, but I simply couldn't get the step to mount. It is so odd, because I was able to get the driver side mounted no problem, with each bracket in its correct spot and orientation. I even watch countless install videos from motoroso and others just to make sure I was on the right track.

Eventually, I decided to just give up and call to ask around if any local installers could help me out. First, I called TC customs in Bessemer, Alabama. I've been a big fan of their YouTube channel, and have even had them install a Procal tune that I had ordered and brought in from Lethal Performance. When I called and told them that I only needed one side step to be mounted, there would be no wiring required. The guy on the phone told me that they "don't install third party items." Weirdly enough, they sell RSE side steps and will install them. But when I asked, he said they don't install products that are brought in by a customer. I found that really odd considering they were willing to install my tune that was not in a sealed box...and will also install wheels and tires provided by a customer...Regardless, I'm not here to argue on shop policy.

Instead, I called my local shop in Kentucky, KP Customs. I've never used them before, but based on the 4.9/5 stars I figured it couldn't hurt. Low and behold I'm told that the install of ONE STEP, not wiring or installing door sensors, is an eye watering 600 dollars?? I mean what the hell, I might as well bend over and start throwing it back for them too! Like, is this normal?? I've always installed stuff and worked on my own cars, so going to a customs/offroad shop is first for me, but I feel like this is insane. If this is normal, please let me know.

Anyways, my Christmas Break is almost over so time is running out to finish up putting the car back together. So, I need some advice: Do I pay the $600 or look for another installer in Birmingham? Is anyone near that would be willing to help for less than 600? (much less than 600 :)))

If anyone has any advice please let me know.

IMG_0032.PNG

IMG_FFA4C808018C-1.jpeg

IMG_0038.jpg
Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Plenty of people offered advice and tips as well as asked for pics to help troubleshoot in your other thread. The $600 quote is the shops way of telling you that they don't want to mess with.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I am guessing they are anticipating problems if you were able to get one installed but not the other.... I am guessing they do not need the additional work and probable headache so.... We will do it but it has to be worth our while.

OP
OP
kingsingh14

kingsingh14

Badlands
First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Plenty of people offered advice and tips as well as asked for pics to help troubleshoot in your other thread. The $600 quote is the shops way of telling you that they don't want to mess with.
Yeah, you’re correct. I also did mention that those tips were great. I followed them. But none helped solve the problem. Respectfully, I’m asking for advice, not for a lecture on how to run a thread on a forum… it seems that’s all I’ve been getting on this forum haha. all I want is a recommendation of a shop or maybe some kind of direction

for pictures, you’re also correct. I completely forgot as I was out for a family trip. I’ll get those sent out soon, but I’m not sure what angles I’m looking for.its just that that brackets are preventing the slider from sitting high enough for the studs on the slider to enter the pinch weld holes.

the last part of that, really sucks. But what I’m asking is, do you think I should suck it up and give up 600 just to get it done? Or should I look for somewhere else? This is really what I want advice for…

Sponsored
OP
OP
kingsingh14

kingsingh14

Badlands
First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am guessing they are anticipating problems if you were able to get one installed but not the other.... I am guessing they do not need the additional work and probable headache so.... We will do it but it has to be worth our while.
Understood…I’m not a shop owner so I would never think of stuff like this. Thanks.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Understood…I’m not a shop owner so I would never think of stuff like this. Thanks.
I think Lcubed had a good idea... shop around... If they ALL tell you the same thing then I guess you have to suck it up... I would come over and try to help for a beer.... but you are a long long way away.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Respectfully, I’m asking for advice, not for a lecture on how to run a thread on a forum…

But what I’m asking is, do you think I should suck it up and give up 600 just to get it done?
You should probably just suck it up and pay the $600. Best of luck to you.

OP
OP
kingsingh14

kingsingh14

Badlands
First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think Lcubed had a good idea... shop around... If they ALL tell you the same thing then I guess you have to suck it up... I would come over and try to help for a beer.... but you are a long long way away.
Agreed. I appreciate it my friend🙏🏽

Sponsored

Arokcrwlr

Wildtrak
First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150, 2014 Focus, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The last part of that, really sucks. But what I’m asking is, do you think I should suck it up and give up 600 just to get it done? Or should I look for somewhere else? This is really what I want advice for…
I can help with this... No, you should not pay $600 for a shop to install one step. That's insulting. You should give it another shot and see if you can figure it out. Or, if you want to come up from Bham, I'll help you.

MaximuNashville

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Man, I can’t help but that has to be frustrating. $600 is crazy talk. Agree with the others who said they’re just quoting that to not deal with it, we’d do the same back in my car audio days. Wish I was closer, I love a good challenge. Maybe you can crash a meetup in the near future? Might get lucky and find someone with a similar experience. Even if not, I’m sure fellow off-roaders would rally to help you out. We’ve all been there, bet it just needs a fresh perspective.

law

Badlands
First Name
Larlar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t have an installer suggestion.
based on my experience. I loosened the body bolts too much.
My wife found a video showing the installer using a socket larger than the bolt to push the body grommet up. I had to hit the socket with a hammer to move the grommet up. This got the brackets high enough to get everything lined up.
one side was a pain the other was snap.
good luck

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

have you checked whether the weather stripping is fully seated and the brackets/step are still straight?

beginning to wonder if something got bent during the de-install

lastly, hopefully, you installed the brackets in the correct locations.
the three middle ones are not identical.

if you were closer, i would lend you my big persuader dead blow sledge.
Sponsored