Sponsored

Running Wiring From the Roof Rack to the Interior?

Topher

Outer Banks
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4 door Outer Banks, Cactus Grey, MIC, LUX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I know this is a bit premature but I’m customizing my new Bronco in my head. I plan on installing a roof rack that will be used to mount several radio antennas and several lights. I am wondering how I am going to be able to get all the wires and cables from the rack into the truck. When I was about to buy a Rubicon, I had planned on buying the type of rack that has posts coming down to the rear bumper. I thought I would run the wires and cables along one of the legs then under the Jeep and into the interior. To date I do not see that type of rack available although I’m guessing someone will offer it in the future.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

Please, I don’t want to sidetrack the conversation into “Why would you want to do that...” so please be respectful and keep your answers on target.
Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know this is a bit premature but I’m customizing my new Bronco in my head. I plan on installing a roof rack that will be used to mount several radio antennas and several lights. I am wondering how I am going to be able to get all the wires and cables from the rack into the truck. When I was about to buy a Rubicon, I had planned on buying the type of rack that has posts coming down to the rear bumper. I thought I would run the wires and cables along one of the legs then under the Jeep and into the interior. To date I do not see that type of rack available although I’m guessing someone will offer it in the future.

Please, I don’t want to sidetrack the conversation into “Why would you want to do that...” so please be respectful and keep your answers on target.
I may be mistaken but I think the front mount has access (have to drill a hole apparently under the cap) they showed in the overhead switch wiring video a week or so back.

I would Assume that with the factory rack it has a provision in the rack mount to route wiring through that mount with the rack mounted?
I could be totally wrong but that was my plan (route it through that front mount even if I had to modify something to do so).,

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They offer factory roof rack lights - someone at Ford must of thought of an OEM solution to this already. Or am I giving them too much credit ?

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can do it a couple of ways. I did it like you suggest, running the wires under the vehicle and back up/in. Today, I expect I'll drill a hole in the A-pillar and run them through there, or there will be a rubber grommet in one of the pillars for access. Just drill a hole, use a grommet and silicone.

Run them down the pillar, along the windshield to the engine compartment and back in?

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As linked to above, Ford intends, and in some packages has included, wiring run up the A pillar.

OP
OP
Topher

Topher

Outer Banks
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4 door Outer Banks, Cactus Grey, MIC, LUX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The auxiliary switch wiring is only a single wire. I'm talking 6-8 wires PLUS 3-4 coax cable for the antennas. I might be able to route those cables the same way as the auxiliary switch wire but I'm not sure if they will all fit. Then you have the issue with waterproofing the hole.

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Like yourself, I plan to use a roof rack with four lights. (Baja Designs from their S2 Pro series mounted to the rack.) The rack is fully assembled with gear mounts and gear awaiting my Bronco. I will be using the Yakima light mounts and hope to run the wires via the rear window seal to the "E" circuit on the diagram below. I will have an antenna for my GMRS radio, but that will not be located on the roof rack. I will hold that idea since it could take us off track. Hope this is what you seek.

Ford Bronco Running Wiring From the Roof Rack to the Interior? Yakima Roof Rack
Ford Bronco Running Wiring From the Roof Rack to the Interior? Wire Circuits

Sponsored

Bmtz3845

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan altima (beater)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Like yourself, I plan to use a roof rack with four lights. (Baja Designs from their S2 Pro series mounted to the rack.) The rack is fully assembled with gear mounts and gear awaiting my Bronco. I will be using the Yakima light mounts and hope to run the wires via the rear window seal to the "E" circuit on the diagram below. I will have an antenna for my GMRS radio, but that will not be located on the roof rack. I will hold that idea since it could take us off track. Hope this is what you seek.

Ford Bronco Running Wiring From the Roof Rack to the Interior? D4611D0E-A0FB-4C00-A6E8-A3BB177E477F
Ford Bronco Running Wiring From the Roof Rack to the Interior? D4611D0E-A0FB-4C00-A6E8-A3BB177E477F
Thats a good looking rack....... (couldn’t help myself)

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thats a good looking rack....... (couldn’t help myself)
Good one!
It was easy to assemble. The rack, mounts, gear, and gasoline will weigh 108lbs. That gives me 2 lbs for lights. ;)

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The auxiliary switch wiring is only a single wire. I'm talking 6-8 wires PLUS 3-4 coax cable for the antennas. I might be able to route those cables the same way as the auxiliary switch wire but I'm not sure if they will all fit. Then you have the issue with waterproofing the hole.
When I was modifying motorcycles I would always head toward marine components and use those. If you are talking that amount of cable then you might be able to run most of them through the rack channel itself. Then maybe into that sport bar? The factory will want you to enter the cabin via the rack mounts on the windshield access: waterproofing there is easy for small amounts. There might be a remote control application but those coax cables are going to be your Achille's Heel.

Glove_fits

Black Diamond
First Name
SLMW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M2, M3, 2 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you want those antennae in the rear of your rack you could bring the wiring down the c pillar into the aux E wire of passenger rear panel. May require a hole/plug kit for the roof and weatherproofing thereafter.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Have you considered running the one wire as a master power source and then using a remote or other toggle to switch the individual lights on and off? I believe that the heaviest relay is 25A - what's the draw of all the lights you are thinking of?
Sponsored