Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No rust on mine after about 6 months and an Atlantic Canada winter...

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Saw one on the lot yesterday with this issue. Having owned a Jeep TJ, I fully expect the exposed hardware to do this (in Michigan). The Bronco design eliminates a lot of the exposed hardware vs Jeep, but in the few places it exists, wax - or oil - and diligent cleaning will be the key to longevity. Big reason why I shed no tears when black diamond trim switched to the capable bumper.

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I live about five mile inland from Monterey Bay. Stuff rusts pretty quickly here. I may consider going with black stainless, that is whenever I get my Bronco. I redid the front end on my 2004 TJ cleaned all the new parts with acetone, used etching Rustoleum primer and Rustoleum black paint. all the parts were rusted in a matter of months.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Passenger side only, on the outer hex bolts here as well. Plan to take them out and coat them myself.

Sponsored

Busterbronco1

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT Premium and 1982 F100 Short Bed.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

probably the reason why they went with the "capable bumper" in lieu of the modular being standard on many models.

JL724

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Took delivery of my badlands yesterday and noticed some rust already on the screws on the front tie downs. Anyone else have this happen? Any suggestions beside soaking them in vinegar?

tempImageCwX2Sy.png

Deleted member 32220

See thread about rusting bolts on trail sights. It’s lengthy!

JL724

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks. Sounds like a bad batch of bolts. Any easier source to replace them then filing a warranty claim?

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Figured this would be resolved by now....when was it built?

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Looking for help. Love the new Bronco but I noticed that two of my trail site bolts already show surface rust (a week old). Anybody know the part number OR a better/upgraded version that might be available? Seems a bit silly I know, but dont want the rust to drip onto the paint. Thanks.
This is a nice DIY project . . . I never assume a new release car or boat is perfect. You can remove the fasteners, buff them out with a non-metalic steel wool, spray several coats of a clearcoat, and reinstall. If you don't like the natural metal color, paint with several light coats of rusteoleum black, maybe a clearcoat and reinstall. Or have even more fun: paint them body color. Here in SC, Parks Auto Parts will mix up a can of any Ford paint color for $26. The clearcoat is in the paint.

When I was a boater, occasionally there'd be stainless fasteners that were not up to spec, slipped through the system or came from a cheap source from a manufacturer cutting corners. There are several grades of stainless, I've had boats I replaced fasteners on. In the Bronco case, its probably a supply chain issue.

FINALLY, if the Trailsite is made of aluminum, there will be a built in electrolysis issue with those steel fasteners, which are the less "noble" metal. Paint or clearcoat will help that, too, providing a barrier between metals.

JL724

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dealer ordered replacements but said they are backordered with no ETA. Anyone able to get replacements?

BroncoBill44

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No comment
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Went to the dealer today and they are ordering... When I asked about backorder, he said "2-3 days" LOL I doubt that, but its ok. I can wait. As long as they ordered for me and didnt complain, Im happy.

tm0708

Base
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Picked up the new Bronco Friday 3/11/2022. Noticed some rusty screws and didn’t think too much of it. Ford will replace them, right?

Well I guess according @Ford Motor Company this is “surface rust and will not be covered. The dealer knew this because another new Bronco had the same exact issue.

Pretty aggregating to fight over something that is so cheap, and obviously from a bad batch of bolts.
Ford Bronco Rust on Trail Site Bolts tempImageCwX2Sy
Ford Bronco Rust on Trail Site Bolts tempImageCwX2Sy
same thing happened to me but my dealer already had new ones ordered before i even picked up my car.
Sponsored