First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So, I wanted to get some opinions here before I do something crazy.

I have a 22 Big Bend (4dr, non-sas, 13k miles). Overall I really enjoy the vehicle, outside of the soft top. So, I’ve planned on snagging something aftermarket (waitlist for the turn off-road one, but considering options). I’d be looking at roughly 5-6k depending on what route I take.

If I trade in my vehicle (or sell to carvana), there’s roughly a 7k difference after taxes, title etc (interest rate is 3% higher compared to what I currently have which definitely matters, but the vehicle won’t be financed long term - roughly 12months).

So, am I crazy for thinking about just swapping for the exact same vehicle that comes with the factory hard top (color might vary and I’m ok with that) for an extra 7k in cost, rather than purchasing an aftermarket hardtop (whenever it’s even available)?
Sponsored

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recently traded in my Big Bend for a used Badlands with less miles. With MSRPs sky rocketing and the desire to keep Cyber Orange I found a used Badlands with only 6,500 miles I couldn’t pass up.

I got all the bells and whistles I was missing and kept the color. It felt SUPER weird doing but I am so glad I did.

If you are already planning on getting the hardtop and don’t have too many mods you can’t take off I say do it! Great time to be buying.

If you can snag a ‘24 you’d also upgrade to the 12 inch screen and marine grade vinyl seats. Do it!

OP
OP

drewburns998

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I recently traded in my Big Bend for a used Badlands with less miles. With MSRPs sky rocketing and the desire to keep Cyber Orange I found a used Badlands with only 6,500 miles I couldn’t pass up.

I got all the bells and whistles I was missing and kept the color. It felt SUPER weird doing but I am so glad I did.

If you are already planning on getting the hardtop and don’t have too many mods you can’t take off I say do it! Great time to be buying.

If you can snag a ‘24 you’d also upgrade to the 12 inch screen and marine grade vinyl seats. Do it!
can I refer your enthusiasm to my wife to help me out? Thanks for the insight!

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 12 inch screen sells itself. Show her that!

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Why don't you buy a used 22 with similar miles and hardtop? If you sell to Carvana and buy private party your difference should be closer to $2k.

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If your calculation holds true, I would trade for a new Bronco. You reset the odomoeter and factory warranty. Besides the OEM HT that is the impetus for the trade, you also can sell the wife on the 12" screen. In time, those with the 8" screen will look dated.

Yes, there is a sub-set of owners that would prefer no tech and hand-crank windows.

nolimits

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Explorer ST | 23 Challenger SP 1320
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does your $7k include the additional interest? If not, run the calcs and be sure to include.

If your math is right I would rather spend $7k on a new vehicle with better features than an aftermarket or factory hard top. Mainly because I feel those prices are ridiculous.

Also, no one will give you $7k more for your vehicle + hard top. Maybe $1,800 more minus depreciation. Your new vehicle will also depreciate so you won’t get the full $7k back on it either but you will/should get a better portion back assuming the market doesn’t explode. At which case your F’d either way so it’s a moot point.

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Find the cheapest hard top equipped Bronco in a Private party sale, swap tops, and then resell the cheap one with a soft top for a minimal loss. You could also see about Co-Part. I was hoping that someone would make some version close to the MOD top since they are more scarce than a Leprechaun. Alas, no awesome MOD top, so my plan of taking the soft top to upgrade later is stuck exactly where it was 18 months ago when I took delivery. My dream Bronco has a Jeep Sky One touch top. I've scoured Co-Part and had to talk myself out of taking on that adventure.

jrollo7

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So, I wanted to get some opinions here before I do something crazy.

I have a 22 Big Bend (4dr, non-sas, 13k miles). Overall I really enjoy the vehicle, outside of the soft top. So, I’ve planned on snagging something aftermarket (waitlist for the turn off-road one, but considering options). I’d be looking at roughly 5-6k depending on what route I take.

If I trade in my vehicle (or sell to carvana), there’s roughly a 7k difference after taxes, title etc (interest rate is 3% higher compared to what I currently have which definitely matters, but the vehicle won’t be financed long term - roughly 12months).

So, am I crazy for thinking about just swapping for the exact same vehicle that comes with the factory hard top (color might vary and I’m ok with that) for an extra 7k in cost, rather than purchasing an aftermarket hardtop (whenever it’s even available)?
Go new. A new hardtop on current truck is at least +$6k. Go new with hardtop.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If your calculation holds true, I would trade for a new Bronco. You reset the odomoeter and factory warranty. Besides the OEM HT that is the impetus for the trade, you also can sell the wife on the 12" screen. In time, those with the 8" screen will look dated.

Yes, there is a sub-set of owners that would prefer no tech and hand-crank windows.
Some people are more visual, so let me help the OP:

Ford Bronco Sanity Check - hardtop purchase vs trading up 8hh88n

Sponsored

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
It depends on how the numbers work out, and how well you like your current Bronco. I opted to go the aftermarket route, my Turn Offroad (TOR) top is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow! I beleive the TOR top to be superior to OEM (from the reviews and such).

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It depends on how the numbers work out, and how well you like your current Bronco.
Yeah I think this more or less. If you have a lot of aftermarket stuff, it could be a PITA to swap all that stuff around. If you are still mostly stock anyway, then moving to another horse wouldn't be so bad.

For me, it would have made a lot more sense for me to trade up Broncos. But I've been plucking away at the upgrades and by now, I've got more invested in blood., sweat and tears than I do money and it would be difficult for me to part with the gal.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Generally if the numbers work out I’m in favor of the trade in. However you must also consider the MIC quality issues

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Go new. A new hardtop on current truck is at least +$6k. Go new with hardtop.
Unless you really want new it can be more cost effective to purchase an aftermarket top. It all depends on how the numbers work out and what you can get for your Bronco. Values aren't what they used to be. For me it would cost more than $10,000 to replace my current Bronco, and this is if I get full MSRP (what I paid), which is what Carvana is offering. And don't forget, the artermarket tops are beleived to be superior to OEM.
Sponsored