l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i spend a lot of time in northern idaho, and the local tire companies there sipe the tires to improve winter traction for onroad use. MT's in general are totally lacking any sipes.

so, in short, unless in deep snow (where the MT lugs make a difference), AT or dedicated snows are the way to go.
Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Super Swamper Boggers seem to work just fine in Iceland, best thing about Boggers is that the tread is so thick you can cut sipes in em with an angle grinder or a siping iron. Its really easy, i did it one year to a set 33x14s that had about 30% tread left. Got me through 3 more winters in my CJ5.
Ford Bronco sasquatch + snow 1996-ford-bronco-picture-with-f-250

This is similar to how i cut mine. Worked great, took about 2.5-3 hours for all 4.
Ford Bronco sasquatch + snow db200b
Ford Bronco sasquatch + snow groovedboggers_tn
Ford Bronco sasquatch + snow closeup-2_tn

1996-ford-bronco-picture-with-f-250.jpg

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So obviously the Sasquatch wheels and tires look cool, like really cool. But how will they handle the cold?

Here in Minnesota it's frozen a good 7 months out of the year, and we get a lot of ice and snow. Some of drivers here seem to think AWD makes them invincible on the road, but I see a lot of AWD crossovers in the ditch - nothing is a substitute for a good set of snow tires. But I've never heard of 35" snow tires - does such a thing exist?

I'm wondering if it's more sensible to stay at the lower wheel sizes, where it's more possible to find snow tires. Am I overthinking this? Or will the MT tires be able to handle snow okay?
good year duratrac tires do really well in snow and they are also pin to except studs.

vintage

First Edition
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So obviously the Sasquatch wheels and tires look cool, like really cool. But how will they handle the cold?

Here in Minnesota it's frozen a good 7 months out of the year, and we get a lot of ice and snow. Some of drivers here seem to think AWD makes them invincible on the road, but I see a lot of AWD crossovers in the ditch - nothing is a substitute for a good set of snow tires. But I've never heard of 35" snow tires - does such a thing exist?

I'm wondering if it's more sensible to stay at the lower wheel sizes, where it's more possible to find snow tires. Am I overthinking this? Or will the MT tires be able to handle snow okay?
It's a Bronco 4 x 4. If you go in a ditch, slap it in 4 wheel and drive yourself out the ditch.
Ford Bronco sasquatch + snow hqdefault

Sponsored

Zero_chance

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.southvalleymustang.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mud tires aren’t great great for on road snow traction as they lack the siping in the tread blocks that give you that. Not to mention they’re wide as hell which will make you want to ride on top of the snow instead of cut through it like a narrow tire. They work good cutting through fresh snow off road, but on road you would want something else to start, or a spare set of wheels to swap in for the winter months.

SamR

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
MT's will work great in the snow but terrible in the ice and hard packed snow. What I would do is get a spare set of wheels as "takeoffs" (New wheels that the dealer took off of someone's car because they wanted new wheels right away) and put smaller snow tires on them for the winter. You could also get some A/Ts with a fair amount of siping on them and run them all year. Not as good as snow tires on the ice by any means but will still be decent and should be quite good in the snow.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't have an answer here, but I AM curious about putting chains on the Sasquatch package and if it's possible. I'm trying to be in the mountains and changing tires sounds awful, so chains is more normal here in Northern California.
Similar issue here. About the only time I'll encounter snow in NorCal is heading into the mountains in winter. During that time, snow chains are legally required.

So for me it's less about selecting a good snow tires and more about if the Bronco will allow for chains on 33s (Badlands).

Desert6

Black Diamond
First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘11 Power Wagon, '20 Armada, '22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve got 315/70-17 BFG AT KO2’s on my PowerWagon and they’re great in the snow.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

going to make it very simple. all season/non winter tires are made with a harder rubber compound so they don't melt away (figuratively speaking) in the summer on asphalt. winter tires rubber is much softer allowing it to still stay flexible in the cold. keep this in mind. you don't want to drive with frozen rubber as tires cause they won't grip.
throwing chains on a 35 is going to make them crazy heavy with rotating mass.

drop down to a more common size and get a dedicated winter tire. you got 4x4 but you also have the same 4 brakes that everyone else has. it's how grippy your tire is that matters in the winter. a basic cheap car with winter tires will probably out accelerate, brake and handle just about any vehicle on all seasons.

Sponsored

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

going to make it very simple. all season/non winter tires are made with a harder rubber compound so they don't melt away (figuratively speaking) in the summer on asphalt. winter tires rubber is much softer allowing it to still stay flexible in the cold. keep this in mind. you don't want to drive with frozen rubber as tires cause they won't grip.
throwing chains on a 35 is going to make them crazy heavy with rotating mass.

drop down to a more common size and get a dedicated winter tire. you got 4x4 but you also have the same 4 brakes that everyone else has. it's how grippy your tire is that matters in the winter. a basic cheap car with winter tires will probably out accelerate, brake and handle just about any vehicle on all seasons.
I knew when it was time to switch into my winter tires when my summer tires turned into cement from the cold. Haha

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I knew when it was time to switch into my winter tires when my summer tires turned into cement from the cold. Haha
that's what people don't realize. snow and ice is one thing, but temperature is the biggest thing that changes a tires traction.

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ko2s on my F-250 and it does just fine in the snow
20161217_101130.jpg

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Any new Bronco, hell any decent 4wd with decent AT or MT tires will do fine in the snow. I grew up in the frozen wasteland many decades ago and drove a pos 2wd car all winter long. No, maybe you can't go out right after a blizzard but keep a shovel and some chains with you and you can go through quite a bit.

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I only have to deal with snow 25 to 30% of the year, and decided to go with Duratracs 100% rather than get a dedicated snow tire. This choice has worked well, as those Duratracs have lived up to their ratings... they have performed excellent in slick conditions, even surprising me a couple times by stopping in conditions when I was sure that I would slide.

As per your question about Sasquatch & Snow, I see only benefits. Both the tires and suspension will give you a little extra ground clearance, which can be useful on those conditions. For example, the few times I have gotten stuck in snow with a 4x4 were times when I tried to cross drifts or ditches with enough snow depth to pack underneath the frame or body (preventing the tires from digging down to find traction). Those few times are the only times I have cursed myself for not getting a bigger lift.
Sponsored