Sponsored

Sasquatch - Will you upgrade the brakes?

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While it's your truck and you can upgrade it however you want, unless you're on a track, it almost never makes sense to upgrade your brakes. The whole purpose of upgraded brakes like those brembos is for enhanced cooling.
Sponsored

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The only way I'm upgrading is if somebody comes out with a fixed caliper that allows 15" wheels to fit, because I'm hopelessly antiquated. There are kits for other vehicles with the same size rotors so it's possible but it's way more likely somebody comes out with a big brake kit to fill a 22" wheel :poop:

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As someone who picked up a badlands with sas package this past weekend…the breaks scare me. Either I need to press them harder or they are not strong enough to stop the vehicle in the distance i am expecting. It could also be that im not used to them yet. Im coming from a 4dr wrangler (JL) and that thing had much stronger breaks. A small tap would pretty much stop the vehicle. In the bronco I feel like im slamming on the brakes and it just keep moving forward. Its made me panic a few times. Its not a comfortable feeling. Thats why I am here trying to figure our what others are doing or if its just me. Maybe they need brake in? Idk. I also dont want to void the warranty by messing with the brakes. I know that is a huge red tape area for voiding warranties (others have mentioned in the forms) that changing brake lines is an immediate warranty void once the dealer notices.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As someone who picked up a badlands with sas package this past weekend…the breaks scare me. Either I need to press them harder or they are not strong enough to stop the vehicle in the distance i am expecting. It could also be that im not used to them yet. Im coming from a 4dr wrangler (JL) and that thing had much stronger breaks. A small tap would pretty much stop the vehicle. In the bronco I feel like im slamming on the brakes and it just keep moving forward. Its made me panic a few times. Its not a comfortable feeling. Thats why I am here trying to figure our what others are doing or if its just me. Maybe they need brake in? Idk. I also dont want to void the warranty by messing with the brakes. I know that is a huge red tape area for voiding warranties (others have mentioned in the forms) that changing brake lines is an immediate warranty void once the dealer notices.
have the dealer check if the brake lines are fully bled for air

Bronc69

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, 2022 X3 (wife's), 2015 GTI (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
AP Racing is developing a BBK for the Bronco now. Once they're released, I'll be making the upgrade.
I have a four wheel AP BBK on my 911. They are stellar brakes.

The first time my wife drove the Bronco, she complained about the lack of braking power and said "You're going to do something about the brakes aren't you?"
I don't think they're that bad for a 5K lbs. plus vehicle, but they could use an improvement.

Omi205 - get the brakes checked. Sound like something is amiss.

Sponsored

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

AP Racing is developing a BBK for the Bronco now. Once they're released, I'll be making the upgrade.

The first time my wife drove the Bronco, she complained about the lack of braking power and said "You're going to do something about the brakes aren't you?"
I don't think they're that bad for a 5K lbs. plus vehicle, but they could use an improvement.

I will be doing the same as I did for my f150. When they are worn and it is time for replacement it is most cost effective and a much better brake to go with powerstop. There brakes and slotted rotors are a good improvement over oem and cost less than oem. It made a big difference on my 2015 f150 with 35s and to be honest it has been quite a while since I had it done so they last!

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
very interesting that AP is developing a BBK for the bronco. They do not use piston dust boot on their calipers which you surely need on an off-road vehicle.

I think the Bronco brakes are fine. If you drive your bronco like you are driving a german sports car then you will get yourself in trouble really quick.

Last edited:

Bronc69

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, 2022 X3 (wife's), 2015 GTI (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
very interesting that AP is developing a BBK for the bronco. They do not use piston dust boot on their calipers which you surely need on an off-road vehicle.

I think the Bronco brakes are fine. If you drive your bronco like you are driving a german sports car then you will get yourself in trouble really quick.
I agree with driving style completely. That's not what these rigs are meant for.

I know the US distributor well for AP. They make all kinds of applications for the rest of the world including rally cars.
Maybe they're adapting one of these calipers for the off-road industry.
They are internally ported, no external bridge pipes, protected bleed screws and SS pistons with dirt seals. They have a 6-piston caliper that'll fit a 320mm rotor.
https://apracing.com/race-car/brake-calipers/rally-range

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm with @Lcubed, there is something else going on.

Working for Northridge4x4, I get to drive JLs, JTs and Broncos on a daily basis (my DD is the white Bronco on 35s in our videos) and the brakes on my Bronco stops better than an equivalent Wrangler JL on 35s.

As far as changing brake lines being an immediate warranty void, they could only void warranty on the braking system and you've already swapped out the brakes anyway.

LazygonInfinity

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4D 2.7L Basequatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I agree with driving style completely. That's not what these rigs are meant for.

I know the US distributor well for AP. They make all kinds of applications for the rest of the world including rally cars.
Maybe they're adapting one of these calipers for the off-road industry.
They are internally ported, no external bridge pipes, protected bleed screws and SS pistons with dirt seals. They have a 6-piston caliper that'll fit a 320mm rotor.
https://apracing.com/race-car/brake-calipers/rally-range
Do you know if they will work with the 2.7L power brakes?

Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My brake upgrade journey will be brake lines, fluid, and pads. I did the same on my F150 Raptor and it made a noticeable difference.

BroncoWTFAN

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MachE FE & BL SAS 22
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Upgrading the stock breaks sounds like another waste of ones hard earned dollars. As others have said, it's an off-road vehicle, not a race car. Just sayin! :unsure:

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Upgrading the stock breaks sounds like another waste of ones hard earned dollars. As others have said, it's an off-road vehicle, not a race car. Just sayin! :unsure:
Bronco can be race cars too.... 😉

Ford Bronco Sasquatch - Will you upgrade the brakes? gittin-gettin
Sponsored