chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I am also looking at Metalcloak. That gold is bada$$!!!!!
My boss has them on his JL, The diff skids started rusting before he went wheeling. In their defense we do live in the Pacific Northwest
Sponsored

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

That guy is a tool. Did he drag his wife's 4Runner for 5 miles at 20mph.
Why? He is roughly showing the load that each material can withstand before suffering plastic (permanent) deformation. That's how I look at it anyway.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Why? He is roughly showing the load that each material can withstand before suffering plastic (permanent) deformation. That's how I look at it anyway.
What I am saying is that RCI probably didn’t design a skid system specifically out of aluminum that takes advantage of its ability to be formed/bent in structurally stronger shapes than steel. They used the same design as their steel. They also mentioned that a bunch of welds were missing broke. Looking at the welds on my skids, and on boat, they look nothing like the RCI welds. I am guessing that their welders are not the best at welding aluminum. All of my aluminum skids are TIG welded. It’s super labor intensive.

I get it, the material costs more, the labor costs more and the UHMW is expensive.

It’s not as cut and dry as he makes it out to be.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I should also state, that I have steel shock skids, a steel diff guard and steel sliders (with UHMW) and I plan on steel rear control skids (UHMW). Steel is good, aluminum is good. Don’t write it off because of one review that missed a lot of what goes into it.

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

What I am saying is that RCI probably didn’t design a skid system specifically out of aluminum that takes advantage of its ability to be formed/bent in structurally stronger shapes than steel. They used the same design as their steel. They also mentioned that a bunch of welds were missing broke. Looking at the welds on my skids, and on boat, they look nothing like the RCI welds. I am guessing that their welders are not the best at welding aluminum. All of my aluminum skids are TIG welded. It’s super labor intensive.

I get it, the material costs more, the labor costs more and the UHMW is expensive.

It’s not as cut and dry as he makes it out to be.
I'm not arguing the fact and I agree, wire welded alum, poorly in this case I might add, is never as good as TIG. My point was just the yield point were it will not return to its original shape is lower and the maximum stress that alum can withstand before failure, or rupture is lower. Not that I would ever test either to their limits.

Sponsored

LanceIto

Raptor
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

My boss has them on his JL, The diff skids started rusting before he went wheeling. In their defense we do live in the Pacific Northwest
UGH!! Bummer. Thanks for the info. Talons Garage it is.

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, I have used both steel and aluminum skid plate in Montrose, The Rubicon, to Moab. Aluminum skids that are formed with a clean sheet design and not mimicking a steel skid and that are lined with UMHW function better than steel. They deform on a severe hit and tend to bound back, they absorb the impact and don’t transfer it to mechanical parts, and they don’t corrode. I have run steel on my TJ, aluminum on my FJ and now aluminum on my Bronco. The aluminum on the FJ are not ideal because the DESIGN was lacking, not the material. The steel required constant touch up so that they didn’t rust. The aluminum/UMHW skids I have now allowed me to run 7/8 rated trails at Sand Hollow with zero issues. No metal scraping noises, no scratches in the skids, when I hit a rock at 30+mph my front diff and oil pan were saved. I am still using the UMHW aluminum skid. My front factory steel bash plate was trash and needed to be tossed. I am now running an aluminum bash plate as well.

image.jpg

IMG_4193.jpeg
Thank you. That was helpful!!! I went back and forth too many times in the decision making process. Information like this is definitely beneficial. I'll strongly consider aluminum when the steel plates start to go.

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I should also state, that I have steel shock skids, a steel diff guard and steel sliders (with UHMW) and I plan on steel rear control skids (UHMW). Steel is good, aluminum is good. Don’t write it off because of one review that missed a lot of what goes into it.
This is also a great point. Can mix and match materials when applicable. Does not have to be all or none. Can be both.

EasternSierra

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ground clearance matters most. I have never contacted anything on NPS/NFS-style roads. The only time we've impacted is when doing difficult trails. The reality is that unless/until you do trails with significant obstacles, the skid plates are just mental peace of mind.

That said, I would start at the gas tank and transmission. But keep in mind that driving technique can get you over a lot of substantial obstacles without contact.

Over 20 degrees roll, 18+ pitch, coming down a rock ledge on three wheels and no contact with any object:
image000000.JPG
By far my biggest problems with hitting obstacles were with vehicles that didn't have great ground clearance. The S-10 I mentioned earlier had a frame 10" off the ground and a body 13" off the ground. On one stretch of USFS jeep trail that was filled with small loose boulders I really used those skidplates. Ditto on a NPS trail at Glen Canyon.

Since I got my T100 (which has the transfer case skidplate 13" off the ground and everything else higher except near the axles) I've had very few contacts with obstacles, though I did bend a nerf bar from underneath.

Of course skill and good judgment usually make the biggest difference, but there's always the chance of the unexpected happening.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Squashed

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2020 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a skids from mountain offroad. I went with steel. No more factory skid screeching. Not worried about damaging anything underneath. I installed a oil drain kit to change the oil without pulling the a skid. I installed Asfir skids on the transmission brackets with a little modification. https://mountainoffroad.com/collections/ford

LanceIto

Raptor
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have decided to make a DIY transmission skid. I will report back.

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OP, based on what you are using your vehicle for, I would personally suggest some aluminum skids...probably Asfir or JCR depending on your budget but there are a number of options (everyone has their fave brands). That is based on the overlanding part with entry level rock crawling. That says to me you are doing just dirt trail overlanding...like Big Bend or Moab dirt roads, no serious drops or roads of jagged boulders/rocks.
Aluminum typically means lighter than its steel counterpart, which will be important since the skids count against the weight of gear you can carry. Depending on your style of overlanding, this can be a HUGE deal and some people spend big $$ just to save ounces.
I would do gas tank for sure (I didn't have factory skids, so there was just a plastic cover on mine), but again depending on your budget, there are alot of kits with multiple components that may be more cost effective and give you peace of mind. Also keep in mind the holidays are just around the corner so there are some deals to be had if you are able to wait 2 months.

35tires

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '21 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have JCR and minus the fact that we had some hiccups, they're absolutely bulletproof. Cover the weird cross-members for the 2.7, super sturdy, and I'd trust them anywhere.

Deletes the tow hooks in the front, so aftermarket bumper is ideal.
Sponsored