Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What do I need in what scenarios? Me? Mostly overlanding, NPS offroad trails, NFS roads, some entry-level rock crawling (East coast, not really a thing where I am).
Sponsored

Alanp970

Base
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4 Door Base Sasquatch Hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Base
Gas tank skid for sure (the OE one is pretty solid) maybe a transfer case skid from someone like JCR. I’m running the ARB set for engine, transmission and t-case. They’re lighter steel units but quite a bit better than the factory stuff and are ok for light crawling. Any serious crawling needs JCR, RCI, Metalcloak etc) keep your Bronco as light as you can get away with. . If you’re not planning on doing much crawling I wouldn’t bother with much more than gas tank skid. You can always add on later

Alanp970

Base
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4 Door Base Sasquatch Hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Base
Besides the gas tank the place I drag the most is the where the rear lower control arm mounts to the frame. Badlands have an extra plate welded there from the factory. JCR makes a nice skid to protect that part of the frame. I use that skid more than any other

EasternSierra

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In my experience you never know when they will come in handy, when that nice easy dirt road suddenly has an unexpected bad spot. Even in forested country you can have eroded USFS roads that are full of cobbles and rocks. I've been on jeep trails where skid plates provided not just some peace of mind but they actually got used. It's nice knowing that a "thunk" under the vehicle didn't just hit some sensitive part.

My first 'offroader', a subcompact car, developed a dented oil pan. Fortunately it was metal and still functioned. My first 4x4, a Chevy S-10, had shortcomings on the trail but it also had a comprehensive set of skidplates that got used multiple times without my intending to.

Sponsored

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with EasterSierra. If you ever go to Moab and do “Top of the World“ you’ll definitely need them. Been doing Jeep Badge of Honor Trails in North Carolin, Georgia, and Moab. Also been through Mengel Pass in Death Valley. Skid plates are a must IMHO if you do these kinds of trails, if for no other reason than piece of mind.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

What do I need in what scenarios? Me? Mostly overlanding, NPS offroad trails, NFS roads, some entry-level rock crawling (East coast, not really a thing where I am).
My recommendation, Join a local group and discuss with them. See what people are running and ask them why. The geography in the US is so very different where ever you go. What you need where I am will be quite different from what you need where you are. I have been fully plated and used every bit of it. But I knew I was plated and used it. I have been totally naked and not had a problem because I knew I was naked and high pointed and knew where my clearances were and knew what to avoid. Never had a problem on a FS road. Trails on the other hand have much more variability. I go down to Utah and the rock is mostly smooth... Probably do not need a spare tire... flat fix kit is all I need. In Idaho it is allot of decomposing granite with sharp edges, some even arrow head shaped but much larger.... I have opened up 6 inch gashes in the middle of a mudder tread. There is no patching that.... Cost vs benefit....

There is two different options; steel and aluminum. Steel has more weight and is more rigid. It also rusts. They can be powder coated but if you are using them you will be scraping that off and will need to paint up your scrapes regularly to avoid rust. Aluminum has more tensile strength; it will deform but still protect, and as stated before is weights less and it does not rust. Some guys are even adding a layer of plastics to make sliding over things easier.

I wonder if they guys down south have any issues with thick mud getting packed in above the plates, causing weight issues on the way back home or at the least cleaning and repair issues? ... I don't know. maybe skids help them slide on top of mud??? I don't know. I personally hate mud because if I am going to break something that is where I break, usually drive line stuff, gears drive lines, u joints, transmissions, etc.... Hard to turn those tires with a lot of mud working against ya.

Talk with the locals... listen to the guys that been there done that locally. Allot of people listen to the national talk and will be adamant that they have the perfect armor... and I think ya you do... for someplace else...

buckhorn_cortez

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, SHO, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
"Aluminum has more tensile strength..."

I don't think you know what tensile strength means. The tensile strength of aluminum starts at 40,000 psi. Steel tensile strength starts at about 70,000 psi.

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I m with sportcoupe, tranny has nada
 it concerns me even when thinking about small tree and brush stumps. Want something on that tranny for my Badlands but haven’t figure out right manufacturer. Want to keep BL existing factory plates as they re ample for my use but want a tranny skid that works with them (factory skids) and doesn’t require removal for oil changes or doesn’t lose ground clearance.

Anyone have that answer pls let me know 👍

To OP, you re on right track IMO as you re weighing your useage plans; smart move !!

Sponsored

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

"Aluminum has more tensile strength..."

I don't think you know what tensile strength means. The tensile strength of aluminum starts at 40,000 psi. Steel tensile strength starts at about 70,000 psi.
Ah, A36 (most common) steel plate starts at 50,000 PSI tensile and 36,000 PSI yield which is more important than tinsel IMO. 6061-T6 has roughly 35,000 PSI yield. Where steel is better is in impact and shear strength which is what we should look at as far as skids go. 6061-T6 while strong is subject to work hardening and will crack and it really does not like to be bent. The lower grades of aluminum, while being more malleable, have lower yield strength.

This may help you to understand what I am refering to.

https://www.cnclathing.com/guide/me...-different-metal-grades-and-alloys-cnclathing

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I'm kinda' in the same boat. I'm not a rock crawler but there are some pointy rocks on the FS/BLM roads I travel and a plastic tranny pan does not install a lot of confidence. I'm thinking of 1/8 (10 ga) steel that covers trans/trans crossmember, T-Case and tank which in MY case is a good compromise.

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I m with sportcoupe, tranny has nada
 it concerns me even when thinking about small tree and brush stumps. Want something on that tranny for my Badlands but haven’t figure out right manufacturer. Want to keep BL existing factory plates as they re ample for my use but want a tranny skid that works with them (factory skids) and doesn’t require removal for oil changes or doesn’t lose ground clearance.

Anyone have that answer pls let me know 👍

To OP, you re on right track IMO as you re weighing your useage plans; smart move !!

Depending on your engine configuration, Talons garage makes a very good transmission pan that mates up to your stuff. RCI makes one as well but it’s not as strong as far as ribbing. Talons garage has several more iterations coming to market soon to account for the cross members on the 2.7 and sway bar disconnect on the badlands. Until then, RCI works as does a Amazon company called Mabett. The Mabett May require some cutting to fit.

Here are some videos to enjoy on why a transmission skid is needed:)

And he is the Talons garage for the 2.3

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thx for info!! I ve got the 2.7 along with SB Disco so that narrows choices some. Sounds like Talon makes good stuff huh? I ll have to watch for their release that works with my configuration.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ah, A36 (most common) steel plate starts at 50,000 PSI tensile and 36,000 PSI yield which is more important than tinsel IMO. 6061-T6 has roughly 35,000 PSI yield. Where steel is better is in impact and shear strength which is what we should look at as far as skids go. 6061-T6 while strong is subject to work hardening and will crack and it really does not like to be bent. The lower grades of aluminum, while being more malleable, have lower yield strength.

This may help you to understand what I am refering to.

https://www.cnclathing.com/guide/me...-different-metal-grades-and-alloys-cnclathing
Most of the aluminum skids are from 5052, and because aluminum weighs so much less than steel it is possible to go to 1/4" plate for skids. Its not all about tensile strength when it comes to skids.
Sponsored