Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Good point and agree completely on this but..

I know a lot of ppl disagree w me but i have zero faith in China manufacturing. While i was in the military there was one single piece of equipment that costs 100 mil that they bought from one of our contractors. They disassembled it to the bolt and screw numbering each and every piece... only they forgot to to sequence the disassembly procedures. Dont fret though, they thought the could call the contractor and theyd come and put it back together for them! Not a chance in hell of course. They steal technology blatantly and spend pennies on the dollar making an inferior product. Anyways, this and so many other similar stories have me having zero faith in about anything produced over there. Not trying to get political, just stating truths whether people can admit it or not.
I'll repeat:

... there are lots of products manufactured in China that are of high quality. My B&W loud speakers come to mind. From what I've read, the factory building the MT88 is a Getrag manufacturing facility rather than a Chinese contract manufacturer. The difference means Getrag QC/QA procedures are in place to mitigate poor manufacturing techniques. Product quality is gained by building quality into the manufacturing process rather than testing for it at the end of assembly. I doubt Getrag will use sub-par manufacturing procedures just because the transmission is built in China. Any manufacturer that has built a portfolio of manufacturing techniques (and specifications) over decades of manufacturing its products will stick with what it knows. This is the entire purpose of the ISO-900X concept.
Sponsored

UPnort

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'll repeat:

... there are lots of products manufactured in China that are of high quality. My B&W loud speakers come to mind. From what I've read, the factory building the MT88 is a Getrag manufacturing facility rather than a Chinese contract manufacturer. The difference means Getrag QC/QA procedures are in place to mitigate poor manufacturing techniques. Product quality is gained by building quality into the manufacturing process rather than testing for it at the end of assembly. I doubt Getrag will use sub-par manufacturing procedures just because the transmission is built in China. Any manufacturer that has built a portfolio of manufacturing techniques (and specifications) over decades of manufacturing its products will stick with what it knows. This is the entire purpose of the ISO-900X concept.
Ill repeat:

I have zero confidence in Chinese manufacturing. There is a reason the plant is there and not Germany. Sorry not sorry.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ill repeat:

I have zero confidence in Chinese manufacturing. There is a reason the plant is there and not Germany. Sorry not sorry.
Right; they have dirt-cheap labor (as compared to Germany). That doesn't mean the plant doesn't build a quality product using Getrag's ISO-900X production standards.

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
it takes a little more concentration to properly drive a stick but in this day of self driving cars and 30 speed paddle shifter autos ill take the manual.
One of the main reasons I'm going with a manual, all that tech is cool but I rather be in command or have more control over the vehicle.

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was in the manual camp until I found out my Ford Bronco would have a 4 cylinder engine. There is no way I would ever be happy with that. I can't imagine having this bad ass looking off road machine and then having to tell someone it has a 4 cylinder engine.
Here's an idea... don't tell anyone. 99% of people wouldn't understand the difference between an in-line 4-cylinder and a Vee-block 6-cylinder engine architecture anyway.

Acuraman

Big Bend
First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX and RLX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just curious, I haven't owned a manual since my '87 AMC Wrangler. Do they all have "hill-holder" now?

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You can always use the +/- function on the automatic gear shifter in order to manually shift down a gear or two if you hit a slope where you want more torque pronto.

But in stop and go traffic you’ll be condemned to shifting forever and always.

I live in a super dense area with traffic that is utter bullshit at most times and in most ways. That includes on some significant hills that I’m on weekly.

it’s also only $300 more for the automatic if you get the 2.7 engine, which I am.

And my wife does not drive stick.

For me, the automatic is a no-brainer “YES.”

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Bronco 10 speed has manual control when desired.
I've never really understood this argument as justification to accept the simulated shift action of a manumatic as a substitute. It's not the same as changing gears in an actual manual gear box. The precision is not near the same.

If the diss against a manual transmission is it's a "chore" because you have to pay attention to when to shift the transmission, or it occupies your hand so it can't do other stuff while driving, how does shifting the automatic manually change that? Is operating a foot clutch really that distracting or too much effort? Of the few manumatics I've driven in manual mode, what I find as a diehard manual driver, is downshifting is completely unnatural. The computer will not let the automatic stall the engine, so if you don't downshift the manumatic in city traffic, the computer takes over and downshifts for you. This is especially annoying when coming to a traffic light and you have to stop. What happens to me is because the manumatic unconsciously (to me) downshifts, my brain goes into "automatic" mode and I find I'm overrevving, as I forgot to upshift because the transmission is still in manual-mode and expects me to shift it manually. The act of not consciously putting the (manual) transmission in neutral while I wait for the light to turn green unplugs my brain from manual transmission mode, because I'm not fully interfacing with the vehicle.

So for me trying to adopt to using a manumatic in manual mode is frustrating. In city traffic, where real manuals seem to be a pain in the ass for people, I do not downshift through the gears as I approach a red traffic light, rather, I just drop the trans into neutral as I approach the intersection to stop. Downshifting a manual in city traffic to deal with stop-and-go or traffic lights just wears the clutch and most accomplished manual trans drivers do not downshift in city traffic like a racecar driver; they just drop the trans into neutral. Because the manumatic does downshift automatically in manual mode to keep the engine from stalling as the vehicle slows, manually shifting the manumatic is not representative of really driving a manual trans vehicle.

So it's a complete pain in the ass for someone like me because I have to concentrate more using a manumatic in manual mode in city traffic. Using a clutch in city traffic is an unconscious act and just a natural part of operating the vehicle.

Now, if we switch gears (pun intended) and desire to manually shift gears in a manumatic in sport driving, like on a traffic-unencumbered country road (which I do every day), having a clutch to operate the gear change is not a chore since it's done less frequently (than in city traffic) and at speed where throttle-clutch coordination is less critical.

So that is why I don't understand the point: "the automatic has manual control when desired". Without a real foot-operated clutch it's not really "manual" control.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just curious, I haven't owned a manual since my '87 AMC Wrangler. Do they all have "hill-holder" now?
Mostly yes, but it's a function of the ABS system and not a ball rolling in the brake pedal mechanism. The ABS holds the brakes for a few seconds when the trans is in gear and the clutch open. If you reacclimate yourself to launching a manual trans on a hill with an asswipe 3" from your rear bumper, the ABS-based hill holder assist is transparent, as soon as the vehicle moves forward, the ABS releases the brakes. It works in reverse too.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jbacon47

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco BadLands manual 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This isn’t your grandpa’s manual..

The new manual has just as many enhancements, it makes it so easy…

I love the auto throttle from stop to 1st. You literally need no throttle pedal, even on hills, and the Bronco automatically gives it just enough gas to move forward. Hill stop is super helpful too. It won’t roll backward when releasing break to give clutch. Not to mention crawl gear.. great for towing and stop and go traffic.
Sponsored