JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s where I think the low end torque of the 2.7 is a great match for the auto and the 2.3 might not be as good. My 2.7 never feels sluggish, waiting for an up shift. I don’t think it’s that the transmission shifts faster , I think the 2.7 just spools and pulls at lower rpm, mitigating the issue. Manual would be better, just have no interest in a manual these days. Traffic sucks and driving a manual in traffic sucks worse IMO. Pushing me hard to the 2.7, although the 2.3 is still interesting to me for sure.
You may be right on the 2.7 with the lower torque. I hope it works great in the Bronco. I just really want that manual. I live in a rural area and it won’t be my daily driver so it’s perfect situation for me.
Sponsored

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It makes me chuckle that there is so much argument for the manual because it make the Bronco, a machine built for off road, better and faster on the street. Too each his own, I'll take an auto off road anyday, that is so long as it s a quality proven slushbox which the 10R80 seems to be.

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s where I think the low end torque of the 2.7 is a great match for the auto and the 2.3 might not be as good. My 2.7 never feels sluggish, waiting for an up shift. I don’t think it’s that the transmission shifts faster , I think the 2.7 just spools and pulls at lower rpm, mitigating the issue. Manual would be better, just have no interest in a manual these days. Traffic sucks and driving a manual in traffic sucks worse IMO. Pushing me hard to the 2.7, although the 2.3 is still interesting to me for sure.
Just put it in c for traffic ?

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Untrue.

2018 Mustang GT with a stick:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a14500071/2018-ford-mustang-gt-manual-test-review/

0-60 in 4.3 seconds, quarter mile in 12.6@115

2018 Mustang GT with Ford's 10 speed auto:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a24847025/2018-ford-mustang-automatic-transmission-performance/

0-60 in 3.8 seconds, quarter mile in 12.1@120

The very same 10 speed that Ford is putting in the Bronco managed to knock a half second off of the 0-60 and quarter miles times in the Mustang. The latest generation of torque-converter autos are very very good.
and I would still choose the slower manual Mustang

Gpscharron

Badlands
First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FORD Bronco, RV- Ford E450 (Thor Vegas 24.1)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great discussion points in regards to Manual / Auto.

Does anyone know how or if getting a Manual effects the use of ”Drive Modes”? It makes sense in regards to Auto but how does manual work for Baja or Sport..

Thanks!

Sponsored

PTown_Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Krista
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm going manual because I miss driving one, before I had to get the current AT that I drive I only had manuals. They make me feel more in control on ice and snow. The only thing I'll miss about an auto is being able to eat and drive at the same time...?

Chadn87

Black Diamond
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold my Boxster S, Miata, and Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Time to give it up

I've been manual my whole life but it's just silly to keep it up at this point

Manuals used to be faster, more efficient, cheaper
Not really the case anymore

I'm not doing extra work shifting in order to have a slower and less efficient car. At this point buying the manual is just being a grumpy old person who complains about the music kids listen to these days
You sound like a guy who’s just given up. Especially when you’re talking practicality and efficiency with a car that will never be considered either. This car and a manual transmission are a visceral experience. That’s the whole reason they’re actually even offering it. If you don’t want it just move along but how you “don’t get it” that people still want a 7mt is beyond me

Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

He sounds like a guy who’s just given up

You sound like a guy who’s just given up. Especially when you’re talking practicality and efficiency with a car that will never be considered either. This car and a manual transmission are a visceral experience. That’s the whole reason they’re actually even offering it. If you don’t want it just move along but how you “don’t get it” that people still want a 7mt is beyond me

Yep. I want the MT because that's want I want. There is no illusion that I'm getting better performance/mpg/durability/etc. It's just what I want. I'm as far removed as possible from being just a passenger in any mode of travel I have, and that's the way I like it.

Space Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 1st Edition, etc...
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I loved driving my 1994 Ranger 4x4 with the 5 speed and my 72 Bronco with the AX-15 conversion but I'm starting to think that with the manual in the new Bronco I will be missing out on some cool new 4x4 technology like trail turn assist and one pedal driving. The 2.7 with auto is starting to pull at me. Thoughts...

Space Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 1st Edition, etc...
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yeah. Us stick shifters get it. Some people don't. They'll figure it out eventually. The fast trackers listen to the old timers because they have something to offer.

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
and I would still choose the slower manual Mustang
And, unless you are very skilled at launching cars, you'll never repeat either of those numbers (no offence meant). On the street, even stoplight drag racing, half a second... 500 millisec, means nothing. The 10-speed in Ford's line up is no magical device that completely transforms the experience. Manual transmissions are dropping from Manufacturer's line ups simply because most people don't want to drive with them because they are doing other things than concentrating on driving and it is not profitable to offer both transmission types in a particular model.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You can't text, eat a sandwich, and shift at the same time?

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The only way that I can think of in describing the difference between driving a manual and driving an automatic is the difference in the two ways of inseminating a woman - one is more natural and is more fun but means having to perform sex and one is more artificial and not as fun but is more efficient - and maybe even faster. Your choice - but I know which one that I prefer. ;)

Last edited:

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, this discussion cracks me up. You can’t “win” an argument about something so subjective. All these sports car manufacturers touting performance numbers for the modern automatics... I could care less if the auto is faster, more efficient, has more features, etc. It’s not fun. I buy vehicles based on how much fun they will be. And I am very opposed to gatekeeping. You want your Bronco to be a stoplight drag-racer? Awesome, more power to you. My experience is that my 80 horsepower Jeep can go anywhere because of the crawl ratio and the Bronco’s will be better. So the 7MT and 2.3 will be awesome For me.

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All of these people arguing on here about the mustang launch speed like the Bronco is going to be a drag racing vehicle is insane. You should be more worried about how the manual will do off-roading, which in some cases automatic is easier, but the manual will make it more challenging and fun.

I’m getting the manual no matter what.
Sponsored