Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

And here I thought the manual transmission was a no charge option for an anti-theft device.
Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Untrue.

2018 Mustang GT with a stick:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a14500071/2018-ford-mustang-gt-manual-test-review/

0-60 in 4.3 seconds, quarter mile in 12.6@115

2018 Mustang GT with Ford's 10 speed auto:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a24847025/2018-ford-mustang-automatic-transmission-performance/

0-60 in 3.8 seconds, quarter mile in 12.1@120

The very same 10 speed that Ford is putting in the Bronco managed to knock a half second off of the 0-60 and quarter miles times in the Mustang. The latest generation of torque-converter autos are very very good.
So just a few things. I've not checked for sure, because I'm not going to get into an internet bench racing argument, but regarding the Mustang, you are comparing a 6-sp manual to a 10 speed automatic, so the gear ratios are different between the two transmissions, which can make up some of the 500 milliseconds in 0 -60 time in addition to shift speed. Second, DTC transmissions shift faster than most of the best automatics, which is what I said. Third, the version of the Ford 10-speed auto probably has different gear ratios than the version used in the Mustang, and I'd bet the New Bronco version has different shift programming than the version in the Mustang, since the New Bronco is a truck primarily designed for off-roading and the Mustang GT is designed for street bragging rights against the Camaro.

But none of that crap contradicts the point I made, which is in real terms, the faster shifting capability of the 10-speed makes no major difference in how the New Bronco will perform on the street or trail in either real-world MPG, vehicle speed or driving dynamics. And more to my point, the 10-speed doesn't know when to shift based on when the driver may want it to shift in relation to how he is driving in the traffic environment he is in. So in real-word conditions, where the 10-sp auto is in high gear and low engine RPM to maximize fuel efficiency, if the driver wants to dig into the engines powerband to make a driving move, he can anticipate and time a gear change, where the 10-sp auto's software takes a few milliseconds to figure out it needs a lower gear to get the engine power requested by the driver's right foot. So I'd wager the increased speed of the 10-sp auto's shift is out paced by the driver's decision to put the manual in the correct gear ahead of time and in conjunction to his intended driving move.

Last edited:

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
All this talk about how the 2.3 might not have enough power sounds like bullshit to me. The 2.3l has several videos of tune-ups and things you can do to it to get an outrageous amount of power from it. Ford has already mentioned something like “we’ve seen people get an absurd amount of horsepower and torque out of these engines” which if you search online there are tons of videos of people pushing these far past the 275hp 310.
I’m actually stoked for the 7 speed manual and that they’re using a tried, tested and true engine. Even with my Sasquatch package, this thing is gonna do just fine.
I agree with you. I think the 2.3L's specs will adequately power the New Bronco. Maybe with the auto and 'Squatch with 35"s it might be a little lagging, but I'd bet the diff ratio makes up for it. I've not researched the 2.3L much. My unanswered question is how the manual trans will deal with turbo lag. Computer controlled drivetrains with automatics can compensate for turbo lag.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
After being pretty set on the base (with the auto standard) I'm now back to the manual as my preferred choice. I was considering a base 4dr, but looking at the gear/crawl ratios I think my plan to upgrade to 33's would kinda suck. Now I know why the AT is standard on the base, because anyone who looks at this would be crazy to pick the 2.3L. I might still do a base with the 2.7L upgrade, but no way I'm getting a base with the 2.3L/AT. Now thinking BB with the 2.3L and MT to get the better gearing.
Are you sure you have the correct? The Base comes with a manual transmission as standard equipment.

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Are you sure you have the correct? The Base comes with a manual transmission as standard equipment.
Only for the 2dr. Manual isn't even an option for the 4dr.

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Only for the 2dr. Manual isn't even an option for the 4dr.
Ah, so it is (just checked). I stand corrected. I've only been looking at 2-doors. Interesting the Base 4-door only comes in automatic, where the other lower trims have the manual trans.

TNBronc4344

Badlands
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All this talk about how the 2.3 might not have enough power sounds like bullshit to me. The 2.3l has several videos of tune-ups and things you can do to it to get an outrageous amount of power from it. Ford has already mentioned something like “we’ve seen people get an absurd amount of horsepower and torque out of these engines” which if you search online there are tons of videos of people pushing these far past the 275hp 310.
I’m actually stoked for the 7 speed manual and that they’re using a tried, tested and true engine. Even with my Sasquatch package, this thing is gonna do just fine.
I agree. I have the new Ranger now with the 2.3 auto....... it has plenty of power and pep. I love the engine. It’s the transmission that I do not love. I mentioned this on another thread but worth mentioning again.... it wants to stay in the higher gears all the time and and sluggish down shifting. I can’t say how they will set this up with the Bronco (hopefully differently) but it gets annoying quick when you are going 30 MPH on a flat road and the transmission is in like 8 gear and hit a steep hill and it takes like 2-3 seconds for it to downshift to maintain your speed. I lose speed quickly. Anyway I’m getting the manual for sure.

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I agree with all of the arguments against the MT for this vehicle. However, this is the one thing still pulling me towards the idea. It may be a completely impractical and romanticized idea to go with the MT, but my 16 yo daughter is chomping at the bit for me to teach her how to drive one. The way things are going for automobiles this might be my only chance to pass on this life skill. I still fondly reflect on the moments of my mother teaching me how to drive in her little MT Ford Probe.

The way I see it, I am teaching her how to drive MT on this Bronco or some DB boy is going to take up the task down the road somewhere.
On the Bronco reveal day I was certain I was getting an auto. 30 years of driving and I wanted something a little less involved with this purchase. My first car that I learned to drive on was a manual and I’ve talked about that car so often (‘65 Mustang) that my son who starts driving next year wants me to teach him to drive a stick shift. Then my girlfriend asks why I’m not getting a stick shift (she’s had manuals before.) So now I’m getting the 7speed manual to teach my son on. And when I don’t want to shift I’ll just make him or my girlfriend drive. ?

Last edited:

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So just a few things. I've not checked for sure, because I'm not going to get into an internet bench racing argument,
Too late, because THAT'S MY JAM.

but regarding the Mustang, you are comparing a 6-sp manual to a 10 speed automatic, so the gear ratios are different between the two transmissions, which can make up some of the 500 milliseconds in 0 -60 time in addition to shift speed.
I'm comparing the offered auto vs. the offered manual. There's no sense in doing anything else.

Second, DTC transmissions shift faster than most of the best automatics, which is what I said.
But it's not! You said:

The automatics that can actually "shift faster" to gain track speed advantage over a human/manual set up are not ordinary torque converter automatics
Torque converter automatics can actually "shift faster" to gain track speed advantage.

Third, the version of the Ford 10-speed auto probably has different gear ratios than the version used in the Mustang,
Nope.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...21/mediakit/21_Bronco_Prelim_Tech_Specs_1.pdf

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/...ses/Mustang/2018Ford_Mustang_Tech_Spec_EU.pdf

and I'd bet the New Bronco version has different shift programming than the version in the Mustang, since the New Bronco is a truck primarily designed for off-roading and the Mustang GT is designed for street bragging rights against the Camaro.
Well sure, but I don't know what that has to do with the point you were trying to make. The Bronco has different drive modes that will affect transmission behavior, including a Sport mode. There's no reason to believe the Bronco's auto will be locked into some kind of awful slow-shifting hell-prison.

But none of that crap contradicts the point I made,
You didn't make a point.

which is in real terms, the faster shifting capability of the 10-speed makes no major difference in how the New Bronco will perform on the street or trail in either real-world MPG, vehicle speed or driving dynamics.
And this presupposition is based on...all of the performance data that's been released? All of the instrumented tests that have been performed? All of the back-to-back comparison tests that have been conducted? Or just your hopes and dreams?

And more to my point, the 10-speed doesn't know when to shift based on when the driver may want it to shift in relation to how he is driving in the traffic environment he is in. So in real-word conditions, where the 10-sp auto is in high gear and low engine RPM to maximize fuel efficiency, if the driver wants to dig into the engines powerband to make a driving move, he can anticipate and time a gear change, where the 10-sp auto's software takes a few milliseconds to figure out it needs a lower gear to get the engine power requested by the driver's right foot. So I'd wager the increased speed of the 10-sp auto's shift is out paced by the driver's decision to put the manual in the correct gear ahead of time and in conjunction to his intended driving move.
Two things.

1. You're on the highway, a gap opens up suddenly and you want to get in there. What takes longer - immediately matting the gas to the floor and letting the trans kick down and take you there, or letting off the gas, pushing in the clutch, selecting the proper gear, bringing the revs up to the appropriate level, letting out the clutch, then accelerating? 10 times out of the 10 the auto will kick down and get you there faster.

2. Paddles. You see a gap coming up that you want to hit? Kick it down a few gears with the paddles and hit the gap with all of the power you need. Have you never driven an auto with a manual mode? In my car, even in automatic mode, I can bump the paddle and have it kick down a few gears, and it will hold that gear for a bit before returning to normal. Super easy to anticipate any need for a lower gear.

Look, I'm not some auto transmission fanatic. I'm specifically not getting a Bronco because they won't give me the V6 with the stick. But there's no quantitative reason to prefer the stick. The auto will be faster, smoother to drive, better offroad, and get better mileage. The stick will be more fun. It doesn't need to be anything else, and we don't need to try and represent it as anything other than a preference for fun.

AleYeah

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Unlimited, 1976 VW poptop Bus
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
12 pages in, I don't reckon there's much for me to add to the discussion, but for what it's worth, I wouldn't even be considering the Bronco as a replacement for my Jeep (in spite of removable top/doors) if there was no stick. If I were a rockcrawler, things might be different, but I just enjoy driving a stick in everyday life.

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Too late, because THAT'S MY JAM.

I'm comparing the offered auto vs. the offered manual. There's no sense in doing anything else.

But it's not! You said:

Torque converter automatics can actually "shift faster" to gain track speed advantage.

Nope.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...21/mediakit/21_Bronco_Prelim_Tech_Specs_1.pdf

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/...ses/Mustang/2018Ford_Mustang_Tech_Spec_EU.pdf

Well sure, but I don't know what that has to do with the point you were trying to make. The Bronco has different drive modes that will affect transmission behavior, including a Sport mode. There's no reason to believe the Bronco's auto will be locked into some kind of awful slow-shifting hell-prison.

You didn't make a point.

And this presupposition is based on...all of the performance data that's been released? All of the instrumented tests that have been performed? All of the back-to-back comparison tests that have been conducted? Or just your hopes and dreams?

Two things.

1. You're on the highway, a gap opens up suddenly and you want to get in there. What takes longer - immediately matting the gas to the floor and letting the trans kick down and take you there, or letting off the gas, pushing in the clutch, selecting the proper gear, bringing the revs up to the appropriate level, letting out the clutch, then accelerating? 10 times out of the 10 the auto will kick down and get you there faster.

2. Paddles. You see a gap coming up that you want to hit? Kick it down a few gears with the paddles and hit the gap with all of the power you need. Have you never driven an auto with a manual mode? In my car, even in automatic mode, I can bump the paddle and have it kick down a few gears, and it will hold that gear for a bit before returning to normal. Super easy to anticipate any need for a lower gear.

Look, I'm not some auto transmission fanatic. I'm specifically not getting a Bronco because they won't give me the V6 with the stick. But there's no quantitative reason to prefer the stick. The auto will be faster, smoother to drive, better offroad, and get better mileage. The stick will be more fun. It doesn't need to be anything else, and we don't need to try and represent it as anything other than a preference for fun.
Not seeing any paddles in the Bronco. Yeah, I'll beat an auto trans to a downshift because I can read the traffic and it can't. If you think otherwise then your experience with manuals is not as deep as you need to be having this discussion.

Posting the specs on the GT's manual and auto trans makes my point. The time to 60 is more related to the gear ratios between a 6-speed and a 10-speed.

Sorry, but I did specifically say DCT shifts faster than torque-converter automatics (see below), your quote... Have a great thanksgiving.
Ford Bronco Second Thoughts on Manual Transmission dorkbronco.PNG

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And here I thought the manual transmission was a no charge option for an anti-theft device.
Best reason I've heard yet ?
It will keep all my daughters teeny bopper friends from wating to/being able to drive it!
LOL

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree. I have the new Ranger now with the 2.3 auto....... it has plenty of power and pep. I love the engine. It’s the transmission that I do not love. I mentioned this on another thread but worth mentioning again.... it wants to stay in the higher gears all the time and and sluggish down shifting. I can’t say how they will set this up with the Bronco (hopefully differently) but it gets annoying quick when you are going 30 MPH on a flat road and the transmission is in like 8 gear and hit a steep hill and it takes like 2-3 seconds for it to downshift to maintain your speed. I lose speed quickly. Anyway I’m getting the manual for sure.
That’s where I think the low end torque of the 2.7 is a great match for the auto and the 2.3 might not be as good. My 2.7 never feels sluggish, waiting for an up shift. I don’t think it’s that the transmission shifts faster , I think the 2.7 just spools and pulls at lower rpm, mitigating the issue. Manual would be better, just have no interest in a manual these days. Traffic sucks and driving a manual in traffic sucks worse IMO. Pushing me hard to the 2.7, although the 2.3 is still interesting to me for sure.
Sponsored