AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm hoping that you can start in C without clutching.
You have to pump the clutch three times to engage C (crawler mode). Just think of C as the third letter of the alphabet, best way to remember this.

?jk
Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You have to pump the clutch three times to engage C (crawler mode). Just think of C as the third letter of the alphabet, best way to remember this.

?jk
You sonofa

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm hoping that you can start in C without clutching.
Surely with a momentary switch and a few feet of wire this could be accomplished :geek:

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
In a modern auto, you can select any gear you want to be in. Put it in sport mode and just select the gear.

I don't disagree that the manual is more fun in any scenario, but I don't see how you can deny that modern autos with all the traction aids are better off road than a stick and clutch.
My 1985 CJ-7 with auto trans (TF999) held low gear if desired. I would manually shift between 1st and 2nd when off-roading in the slow stuff. The automatic with essentially infinite low speed control and the smooth torque multiplication, can be very nice in certain off-road situations.

Anyway the issue is some people here were claiming auto is better for everyone in every situation. Over the entire population of drivers, given the level of incompetence, lack of driving skill and coordination? Sure automatic. But that sort of claim breaks down at the individual level.

Sponsored

derpydestiny

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3 GT HB (MT)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Is it fun enough to get worse mpg and a slower truck?
Not talking about the 6 either

The slushbox 4 will be faster and more efficient than the manual

Sure shifting is fun, but if you can't do it better than the machine then what's the point? None of us can shift better than the machine anymore
This isn't to target you, but I've heard this argument before and it irks me greatly because I think it's a misunderstanding about what is fun.

I see the lights turn green and people just sit there daydreaming for half the length of the light. There's no way 90% of people need the quickest 0-60, fastest-shifting, automatic.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Automatics, in my opinion, are the cause of much of the traffic we see in the US, whether it's bumper to bumper traffic or city congestion. Next time you're in the car, or walking around your city or town, if you look around and pay attention, you will see people at stop lights not being engaged. Not seeing lights turn green. Or when you're in bumper to bumper traffic and the traffic is moving in your lane but the car in front of you is just sitting there. Same goes for rubbernecking. People are so un-engaged and bored with their commute that any sort of sensational event like a fender bender on the other side of the highway will distract people.

I currently drive a Mazda 3 6MT. It's got a weak 2.5l NA which peaks out at 184hp. I'm always the first off the line. And in my past life, i.e. pre-pandemic, I would routinely pass high hp, luxury and supercars.

So, to answer your question, yes, a MT is more fun and more engaging than a fast shifting automatic.

On a similar note, one reason why automatics are now more efficient is because they now have more gears. If automakers were willing to engineer 8 gear manuals, those would also have as good mileage. But they don't think people would want to row so many gears themselves. It's the same thing they said when going from 3 and 4 speed transmissions to 5 and then 6 speeds.

Ultimately, to each their own. If an auto is what you want, go for it. But you better use that fast shifting and extra hp while in front of me. lol

Sorry for the rant.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think those wanting manuals are hurting their bottom line at all, so unless you're about to start a company, the manufacturer is right. ;)

derpydestiny

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3 GT HB (MT)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
See the reasoning doesn't make sense. They say they don't have a stick that can handle the power but then they go get an auto from Tremec which means they didn't have an auto for that amount of power either. And It's going to be a DCT.
They truly should just be honest about it.
BTW Tremec supplies the 6-speed manual for the Dodge Hellcats.
https://www.tremec.com/noticias_detalle/muscle-with-challenger-srt-hellcat-redeye/

Sponsored

MallCrawlinBranco

Badlands
First Name
stevo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Manual vs automatic is just a preference.

Like ordering your steak whole on a plate with a knife and a fork, or ordering it blended in a glass with a straw

Why would I go through all the work of cutting it up and chewing when a machine can do it for me so much better

:poop:

MallCrawlinBranco

Badlands
First Name
stevo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah I'm pretty upset that ford went that route... at the very least if you're only going to offer one engine give us the 2.7... Upselling an engine is easy, especially when there are endless benefits to the V6

That post was purely for laughs/to get a rise out of the people without a sense of humor
Sponsored