Sponsored

Shady Dealer Charges 3k Market Demand Fee and $1500 Extra Freight Charge - Lindsay Ford Wheaton MD

Dan303

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I know it's not unusual for dealers to include fees as part of a car purchase. I've bought many cars and a "processing fee" or "acquisition fee" is typical. What I didn't expect was for my dealer to try to charge me an extra $3000 "Market Demand Fee" along with two $1500 freight charges. This is what happened when I went to pick up my bronco that I had waited over a year and a half for after a number of delays - The total cost of the vehicle presented by the salesperson was $4500 more than the agreement I made with Lindsay Ford in Wheaton MD months before. This is $4500 more, on top of the "typical" fees. Their response... All the other dealerships are doing it and it is necessary because the demand is so large right now for the 2021 Bronco and they do not make much money off these cars. After 4 hours of back and forth, they were able to reduce the fees some but not close to what was agreed and also initially declined to accept anything but their own financing. They mentioned they only sold vehicles to customers when financing through Ford, which is a lie.

I'm posting this to warn others to stay away from this dealership and to hear of any similar experiences. The behavior of the people at Lindsay Ford Wheaton was shameful.

https://www.lindsayford.com/
https://www.yelp.com/biz/lindsay-ford-of-wheaton-wheaton

Ford Bronco Shady Dealer Charges 3k Market Demand Fee and $1500 Extra Freight Charge - Lindsay Ford Wheaton MD IMG_1480
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dewreckingcrew

Badlands
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 3.5 Boost and 2009 6.4 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What proof do you have of the initial agreement? Emails, texts, paperwork, build sheet, anything?

OP
OP

Dan303

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
What proof do you have of the initial agreement? Emails, texts, paperwork, build sheet, anything?
I have the build sheet, which I signed, but I dont think much else. The dealer printed out the build sheet and I signed the copy.

treadlightly

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
_
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why not take them to small claims court for the excess amount? These people and their like only learn one way.

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah we see about 3-5 of these shady deals a week.

personally I wouldn’t have paid the mark up.

Sponsored

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I thought $1495 delivery was included in MSRP... looks like you got hit twice with that fee alone. Yikes. I'll wait for the market to come back to earth. Glad I'm not dealing with situations like this. Good luck. Enjoy your Bronco (if you have it).

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Fright charges are on the window sticker and built into MSRP. They might as well call it paint protection or bend over and spread them.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

How much is a "Excellent" Ford Customer survey worth to Lindsay?

I'd say the same amount they overcharged you.

Plus remind them that they wouldn't have had that Bronco on their lot without your Order. And they didn't mention the extra charges because if they did then you wouldn't have ordered but moved your reservation.

Sponsored

DrSquatch

Big Bend
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well they already have terrible reviews on Yelp. Clearly you are not the only one they have tried to take advantage of outside of a Bronco sale.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I really don't like any of the DC area Ford dealers....and now pulling this crap, that is why I always go out of the area. Lindsay, Britt, Sheehy etc...all act like they are doing you a huge favor by allowing you in the showroom...but's it's easy enough to go to PA/WV/Southwest VA and get a deal from someone hungry for the business.

OP
OP

Dan303

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yep, it seemed like they were throwing all these fees ($4500) against the wall and seeing what stuck. They knew they could keep it on their lot and sell it for more or the managers there would get a chance to buy it. They already had one or two other broncos that had made their way into the hands of employees/managers. Probably because they were playing the same game and people refused to pay the markup!

See_Later_Alligator

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I may never get a Bronco if this is the sort of aggravation that could await me at the end of a long wait. Sad - I’m surprised Ford hasn’t come down harder.
Sponsored