Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I use the rear rollbar as a front crossbar for my kayaks when the roof is off but the raised bump due to the black Sirius antenna kind of gets in the way depending on how I have things strapped down. I don't and never will use Sirius radio - does anybody know the steps for cleanly removing the antenna from the rear rollbar section?
Sponsored

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Following. Iā€™m more concerned with what you will use to cover the large hole that will be left that is waterproof/sealed to prevent water getting inside of the roll bar.

OP
OP
Black_Stallion13

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Following. Iā€™m more concerned with what you will use to cover the large hole that will be left that is waterproof/sealed to prevent water getting inside of the roll bar.
Haha yep been thinking about possible solutions there. I mean the rollbar has like 50 holes drilled in it anyways that aren't waterproofed so not sure it really matters. From what it looks like, the hole that is left behind is actually pretty small and not the size of the antenna footprint.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Black_Stallion13

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Follow up question before I tear into this - looks like the directions list the antenna as "sat radio/gps antenna" - any idea if removing this would also effect over the air updates or does Ford do that through the connection via your cell/phone app? I don't have built in GPS so I don't care about that part of it but deff want the vehicle to be able to communicate with my phone/update, etc.

Sponsored

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Follow up question before I tear into this - looks like the directions list the antenna as "sat radio/gps antenna" - any idea if removing this would also effect over the air updates or does Ford do that through the connection via your cell/phone app? I don't have built in GPS so I don't care about that part of it but deff want the vehicle to be able to communicate with my phone/update, etc.
Not sure I also wonder if it will effect you being able to track the location of the vehicle through the app? As far as updates, if the vehicle is connected via wifi when in your garage the updates should happen.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Updates use the built in ATT 5G modem. All FordPass app traffic including location and updates uses that built in modem. Only issue i see possible is throwing a code that the gps, sat radio antenna is not located. You will need to be the Guinea pig on that one.

OP
OP
Black_Stallion13

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Updates use the built in ATT 5G modem. All FordPass app traffic including location and updates uses that built in modem. Only issue i see possible is throwing a code that the gps, sat radio antenna is not located. You will need to be the Guinea pig on that one.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. I'm betting that is what the 2nd document above details - looks like it is having you remove some kind of chip or something where the antenna connects to the head unit.... Didn't really want to get into all that lol

OP
OP
Black_Stallion13

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Update: so I followed the directions in the doc above and decided to just unbolt the antenna and then ziptie it off to the wiring that runs inside the rollbar (see below). This allows me to keep the antenna plugged in so there are no potential errors, etc. but now I have a completely smooth surface up top for strapping down kayaks etc. Works great.

Ford Bronco Sirius Antenna Removal? PXL_20230419_204035264

Ford Bronco Sirius Antenna Removal? PXL_20230419_213757806

Last edited:

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
2767423E5913271C09.gif

Sponsored

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Update: so I followed the directions in the doc above and decided to just unbolt the antenna and then ziptie it off to the wiring that runs inside the rollbar (see below). This allows me to keep the antenna plugged in so there are no potential errors, etc. but now I have a completely smooth surface up top for strapping down kayaks etc. Works great.

Ford Bronco Sirius Antenna Removal? 2767423E5913271C09

Ford Bronco Sirius Antenna Removal? 2767423E5913271C09
Based on your kayak set-up, I don't see how the antenna was in your way.

OP
OP
Black_Stallion13

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Based on your kayak set-up, I don't see how the antenna was in your way.
The antenna is mounted on top of the rollbar from the factory so there is a big bump right in the middle of where the front kayak/rack pad in the pic below goes which inhibits everything from sitting nice and flat.

Ford Bronco Sirius Antenna Removal? PXL_20230419_212924022~2

Sledge

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜13 modā€™d Flex, ā€˜14 bmw i3, ā€˜93 modā€™d Volvo 240
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Here you go.
Have you considered Exposed Racks? I have a set and they work great. My only issue is that the rear rack goes across the Sirius antenna location which further diminishes your reception, but in your case it doesnā€™t matter. If you arenā€™t familiar with Exposed Racks, theyā€™re cross-bar style roof racks that reside underneath your top, to be used when the top is off (or down, if you have a retracted soft top)

OP
OP
Black_Stallion13

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Have you considered Exposed Racks? I have a set and they work great. My only issue is that the rear rack goes across the Sirius antenna location which further diminishes your reception, but in your case it doesnā€™t matter. If you arenā€™t familiar with Exposed Racks, theyā€™re cross-bar style roof racks that reside underneath your top, to be used when the top is off (or down, if you have a retracted soft top)
Iā€™ve checked those out but I donā€™t think they work underneath the hardtop. I actually have a Trektop now though and I donā€™t think theyā€™d work with it either since the top doesnā€™t fold all the way back. Good solution for regular softtop tho.
Sponsored