Sponsored

SiriusXM- they are using your cell data to stream your music-and how to change that

OP
OP
SFAforester

SFAforester

Base
First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Base, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Vehicle Connectivity On means the built in data modem. Not “make sure your phone is connected Bluetooth “.
Vehicle Connectivity On is the built in modem, I agree with that And inside that feature are several that you can turn on and off. Sirius is one of them. That is my only point.
Not sure what your smoking in the bluetooth comment...
Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Vehicle Connectivity On is the built in modem, I agree with that And inside that feature are several that you can turn on and off. Sirius is one of them. That is my only point.
Not sure what your smoking in the bluetooth comment...
So then we agree. These “extra” Sirius features use the broncos data, not your phone. Not sure what you were smoking originally claiming it used your phones data 😉

OP
OP
SFAforester

SFAforester

Base
First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Base, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So then we agree. These “extra” Sirius features use the broncos data, not your phone. Not sure what you were smoking originally claiming it used your phones data 😉
Thanks for the clarity. Alls I know is that when I talked to Sirius support and told them I don't want my phone streaming it she didn't correct me to say that it was the vehicle modem, not my phone. Maybe she was as confused as I.
Time to go smoke... ;-)

GotWake

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What I’ve read says it uses your vehicle modem and can use your phone. It doesn’t really specify how much if any. I can’t imagine it would use a lot. Frankly, I don’t give a crap. I either have the options of using the crap stations with commercials OTA, XM or stream from my phone. All I can say is stop being poor and get unlimited data.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What I’ve read says it uses your vehicle modem and can use your phone. It doesn’t really specify how much if any. I can’t imagine it would use a lot. Frankly, I don’t give a crap. I either have the options of using the crap stations with commercials OTA, XM or stream from my phone. All I can say is stop being poor and get unlimited data.
It always amazes me the opinions people have on certain things...like it's a 60k vehicle so you can spend 2k on whatever or else you can't afford to have it.

Many People that have money do so because they are fiscally responsible. For example, why would I take my current cell phone plan that has my entire family covered for $90 a month, and switch it to unlimited data where Each phone is $90 per month?

So I can stop being poor?

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

When you connect your phone to your vehicle your "accept" certain connections (phone calls, music library, maps, emails, messages, etc). As far as I know, SiriusXm is the only non-ford company (outside of your phone's operating system) that you agree to. If you don't have an account with Siruis, then your probably in the clear. I honestly don't know if the free Sirius radio trial that you get when you get your bronco streams through your phone or not. All's I know is that it was doing it automatically with mine and I wanted other guys to be aware that they do it without telling you and there is a way to turn it off.
So I checked my settings just to verify, and turns out I had already turned that off when I originally got my Bronco. I just went through all the settings and made adjustments as to what I thought at the time.

Now that you mentioned it all, I can see it if you have installed SXM app on your phone or something. But to think my phones cell data is being used by my radio just because I'm allowing my Vehicle to connect so I can make phone calls is a bit of a stretch.

Now of course if someone is using Andriod auto/apple play and running the SXM from your phone..then of course.

Honestly have never subscribed to SXM on any of my new cars. However I've done so much exploring in my Bronco since I got it, I'll have to admit I'm finding the no commercials, and not having to constantly search for a new station in range appealing.

The one thing that is a red flag to me is I noticed there really isn't any censorship, so am I kid is in the vehicle I have to be very careful as to which station I put on.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So how exactly are they doing this? What is running on my phone that is giving some Bluetooth device access to my cell data?
Bluetooth is running on your phone. Shut off BT and you should stop the data stream through your phone plus ability to use hands free phone access plus any smart device connected to your phone such as a iwatch

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Every single time I've tried to listen to SiriusXM my ears physically hurt from the horrific compression they use. They divided up their bandwidth so heavily to add extra channels that they stream most channels at extremely extremely low bitrates. Rock stations like Lithium are muddy nearly beyond comprehension, and the voice stations are so stripped down they sound like bad AM radio. It reminds me of back when I had a 32MB mp3 player so I ripped all of my music at 96 or 64kbps so I could fit more songs on it.

If using cell data provides even the tiniest improvement in sound quality it'd be well worth it.

After a decade of pestering me for a subscription I think they've finally given up - why would I pay money to voluntarily torture my own ears?

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

“So when you get to a real rural area and your SiriusXM radio doesn't work” That doesn’t even make any sense!

Real rural areas are exactly the sort of place where SiriusXM works THE BEST! The satellite antenna only cares about a clear view of the sky and doesn’t know nor care how rural you are. Whereas, cell service depends on being within range of a tower. Real rural is where cell phone coverage doesn’t exist.

So to say satellite would be designed to use cell service in real rural areas is just nonsensical.

I don’t know about the Bronco specifically - but I would find it highly doubtul that Bronco specifically is different than any other vehicle I’ve owned with XM radio over the past 10 years. And I can tell you that my other vehicles do not use cell service as any sort of ”backup“ for a weak satellite signal.

If I drive into a parking garage…my cell phone still works. XM radio goes dead. When I drive across the country my cell phone is often dead in “real rural areas”, but I’m still happily singing along to Del Shannon’s “Runaway“. (much to the bewilderment of my dog)

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Bluetooth is running on your phone. Shut off BT and you should stop the data stream through your phone plus ability to use hands free phone access plus any smart device connected to your phone such as a iwatch

Maybe I'm not stating this correctly. I'm not ignorant to the fact that things are tracking me and my data is being sold.... but my point was, I find it hard to believe that an app running on my radio has access to my cellular modem in my phone simple because I happen to connect the two via blue tooth.

Basically, connecting via Bluetooth doesn't secretly turn my cell phone into a hotspot that gives free modem access to external devices.

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe I'm not stating this correctly. I'm not ignorant to the fact that things are tracking me and my data is being sold.... but my point was, I find it hard to believe that an app running on my radio has access to my cellular modem in my phone simple because I happen to connect the two via blue tooth.

Basically, connecting via Bluetooth doesn't secretly turn my cell phone into a hotspot that gives free modem access to external devices.
Using the BT to the radio does not allow the radio to use your cell connection. Depending on your phone you can go into settings and turn off cell data for certain apps. If the Sync/ Sirus/ XM are not listed there, they do not use cell data.

You can also put it in airplane mode to test this out, then just turn on BT to see how it works for you.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

It is actually impossible to do what the OP suggested. Your stereo cannot access data on your phone through a BT connection. It would need to be a SirusXM app running on your phone, that the headset is controlling, that is the only way, but not the way it works in the Bronco.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is actually impossible to do what the OP suggested. Your stereo cannot access data on your phone through a BT connection. It would need to be a SirusXM app running on your phone, that the headset is controlling, that is the only way, but not the way it works in the Bronco.
"Hey Siri, what is Bluetooth tethering?"
Sponsored