Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Don't ask what the best system is... I don't believe anyone makes the best. Just sharing what I am seeing with hard use. I know a few will want to talk about guarding the a-arm mounts and a few other details so please do! I am just covering my big ticket items and hope someone else has issues they would like to share so I am not the only guinea pig on the forum.

So things I have learned.
1)Factory Fuel tank skid is awesome. Can support the whole weight of the vehicle while being dragged over rocks. If you have a factory fuel tank skid look no further its fine. Aftermarket wise look for a one piece unit, the two piece design does not support the vehicle enough and the skids deform at the seam(fuel tank damage will eventually occure). Other issue with a 2 piece fuel tank skid is they are typically held together with 2 bolts in the middle which is much weaker than the factory skid and and not supportive enought for a vehicle this size.. Also watch how the skid is mounted, metalcloak is mostly singe shear mounts(strong in one direction) I wish I had paid($ I know) more attentions in the beginning. You want to make sure the fuel tank skid is properly supported on the inside section (mine is riding on the factory skid).​
Ford Bronco Skid plates discussion round two! 7t8bCnF_xB8B1ji7TNqZfAY=w1524-h857-s-no?authuser=0
Ford Bronco Skid plates discussion round two! XjlpapkBBi9WgZS2aPilGWg=w1524-h857-s-no?authuser=0
Ford Bronco Skid plates discussion round two! kMINJ25hJzRqnArW6q5rv-M=w1524-h857-s-no?authuser=0

2) Transmission pan issue! So if you break something up front and need to do a trail repair the design of the transmission skid is huge! First make sure you can take off the sway bar without pulling the pan. If you can pull off the sway bar, you can drop your lower a-arms! Sounds like a small thing but changing my CV-Axle showed this issue. Having the ability to drop your arms makes removing and replacing the CV-Axle much easier! See picture below for some slighly deformed metalcloak blocking my access. This is one place the RCi skid plates look like a good option!​
Ford Bronco Skid plates discussion round two! 1681745352002

3) Seams and joints need to interlock or overlap. every joint that is firmly bolted and overlapped has been fine. Every seam the butts together is quickly becoming an issue.​
Ford Bronco Skid plates discussion round two! 1681745972798

4) Fasteners and holes, Conection pionts need to be secured and protected. I don't have an issue with conical washers or recessed bolts. I do think most these manufactures are overlooking the developmental strength. Just avoid skids with pinch joints they seem to be working themselves loose every 1000 miles(3-4 wheeling trips and I work from home so low road time). Not enough material around bolt holes is another issue, couple of joints are only held together by a small amount of steel (fuel tank in the middle).​
Ford Bronco Skid plates discussion round two! 1681746730226
Sponsored

Last edited:

JZZ

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nice writeup good info looking at skids for next mod and see RCI is on sell, but keep looking at Rock Hard 4x4 which is much more $$$ any thoughts

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We'll have to see how good my JCRs hold up. They were expensive enough!
Sponsored