Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A808F46D-72A8-4986-B18A-790171F911F9.jpeg
Similar set up I made. I did go with the marine upholstery. Put a piano hinge on for the 3rd piece. This allows the front seats to be usable with section 1 and 2 in place. Then put the seats all the way forward and fold down section 3 for max space. I’m 6ft and can stretch all the way out on this. Also Since I added a hinge it doesn’t require hooks on the front seat for support. Thanks for the ideas!
Looks awesome! I hope you enjoy it!
Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great! Got all the parts, ready to rock.. Oh yeah, got a two door. Drat! :ROFLMAO:

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Aaand the quick and dirty recovery board mounts make a cameo appearance. . . Oh, wait. The platform boards are in the picture too. Well done. Looks comfortable.

22Badskwatch

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello everyone. I built a platform for sleeping/camping in the rear of my 4 door badlands. I saw the idea on the forum and made a few changes. I didn’t hinge the platform because I wanted the wood to be modular and useable for other things if needed so the pieces just fit in instead of hinging open/closed. I used 1/2 inch ACX plywood and coated it with a few cans of Harbor Freight truck bed coating. I used old scrap joists and ripped them down to 6 inches wide for the base to be level with the top edge of the back seat when folded. Finally, used a slip knot with 550 cord and d-clips on the back seat to support the final piece. I made cutouts for the plastic handles that fold down the back seats so that everything is resting on the seat back itself which seems to be pretty sturdy. Overall, I’m happy with it. I’ve got 80 inches of sleeping space with the seats all the way forward. I have a foam camping mattress that is super comfy and fits perfectly. I’ll probably cut a chunk out of it to rest level over the center console. The whole thing comes out easily enough if I need extra space. I added a third support under the platform and braced it with a 2x4 to prevent side to side movements and to add extra support underneath if I ever make a 60/40 split. The platform doesn’t seem to flex at all when I sit on it. I was hesitant to go with the 1/2 at first but it’s solid and saved some weight over 5/8 or 3/4 inch.

87665E69-2F12-4FC4-85A9-B0AB8629841D.jpeg

D107918A-FB76-40EF-BD79-E135D0661020.jpeg
I'm still trying to wrap my head around building this and not wasting hundreds of dollars in wood by doing things wrong - for the very front section that goes up against the front seats - does it just 'butt up' against the middle section, and rest of the seat back of the rear seat, and then the front part is 'suspended' by the strings going to the molle panels?

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm still trying to wrap my head around building this and not wasting hundreds of dollars in wood by doing things wrong - for the very front section that goes up against the front seats - does it just 'butt up' against the middle section, and rest of the seat back of the rear seat, and then the front part is 'suspended' by the strings going to the molle panels?
Yeah, the platform just butts up against the back of the rear seats. I made mine with some room so it’s not jammed against the seats. Then I made a loop of paracord for each side of the front part to wrap around the headrest posts. I don’t have the molle panels so I figured the headrests would be sturdy enough. I sleep with my head towards the tailgate so I’m not putting that much weight on that forward section.

Sponsored
OP
OP
UncleBuck

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes I just rest it on the seat and hang the end from the molle panel. It doesn't have to support a ton of weight on the overhang, but using 550 cord is plenty. Hanging from the head rest is an option too. Or you could just pile up gear under there if you didn't want to use another wood section.

22Badskwatch

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the details in this post and answering all the questions! I took the plunge today and gave it a shot - still need to either carpet it or paint it, but mostly done!
Sponsored