Sponsored

My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback?

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

seanoj

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crown Vic, Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is cool, but where does one find panels for purchase? It's not something on a shelf at Lowe's is it?

4door4family

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F350 SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@4door4family , I really like this setup. Do you have drawings or measurements you would be willing to share?

I want to do something like this but make the space under the platforms taller (but still give me and the wife enough room to sleep on top with a thin camping mat). Maybe tall enough to fit a cooler under(and thus nearly all of my camping gear)?

My only other changes might be a 60/40 split to match the 2nd row seats and "legs" to the passenger floor instead of hanging on the back of the front row seats. The paracord idea is pretty darn good, however, so I might try that idea first.

I was toying around with building it out of 80/20 aluminum extrusions and 1/2 inch HDPE sheets. Each section would have purpose built legs to act like tables. Maybe cutting the rear section in a way to, with longer legs, double as a camp table.

Perhaps prototype with plywood and folding table legs?
Thanks! And sorry for slow reply. I don't have any drawings or measurements. It was a weekend of trial and error, measure/cut/test fit/try again. I like that idea of a 60/40 split as well as using some of the plywood as a camp table. Multipurpose is always good.

I kept my platform as low as I could while staying level with where the rear seat fold down. This provided enough space at the rear to provide some storage, but low enough to sit up and move around inside. I also planned it out to push the front seats all the way forward when it's time to camp. I wanted as much room as possible for sleeping. This just means a little extra work at camp.

seanoj

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crown Vic, Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the reply and the inspiration.

SDbase

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Base Sasquatch V6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? AE5E549F-7904-49E1-9A7B-D0E9FB0064DB
Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? F06D0B19-EAC2-407B-8477-8956716BCF10
Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? D0F7A7EB-2839-4303-9902-CA801BD1129A

This is my set up. Just took it out to install the marina upholstery. Just plywood and 2x6s (actually old 2x7s I had laying around). Need more rise in the back since my seat covers prevent the back seats from folding down as low. Basically consists of a base section, and a free floating section with a hinge. The hinged part allows 2 sections to be in place and still use the front seats. The hinge prevents the need for clips on the front seat for Support. Really happy with how it turned out. Does not compromise storage space much (I kind of like the cubby on the bottom for small items) and allows me to fully stretch out on the sleeping surface. I’m 6ft. Probably cost 80 bucks with 50 of it being the upholstery. I did have the 2x7s already so add on some if you have to buy. Just thought I’d share. Thanks for all the ideas!

Sponsored

22Badskwatch

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? D0F7A7EB-2839-4303-9902-CA801BD1129A

This is my set up. Just took it out to install the marina upholstery. Just plywood and 2x6s (actually old 2x7s I had laying around). Need more rise in the back since my seat covers prevent the back seats from folding down as low. Basically consists of a base section, and a free floating section with a hinge. The hinged part allows 2 sections to be in place and still use the front seats. The hinge prevents the need for clips on the front seat for Support. Really happy with how it turned out. Does not compromise storage space much (I kind of like the cubby on the bottom for small items) and allows me to fully stretch out on the sleeping surface. I’m 6ft. Probably cost 80 bucks with 50 of it being the upholstery. I did have the 2x7s already so add on some if you have to buy. Just thought I’d share. Thanks for all the ideas!
I have ZERO woodworking skills .. like NONE... but I do have a circular saw (I might have a jigsaw, not sure), and do have a cordless drill/screwdriver... can you give more details on how you built this? I'm assuming it's for a 4 door - it looks perfect for what I want for mine, so I can sleep in the back of mine instead of buying a tent.

SDbase

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes this is for a 4 door. I think it’s an awesome alternative to a tent. I’m in South Dakota with lots of wind, so tent camping isn’t a good option, hence this set up. Honestly this seems to be a great alternative to a roof top tent. More secure, better insulated than most
RTTs, and WAY more economical (I know not as trendy). The issue is where do you put your stuff when you sleep in it. Personally I plan to get some lockable storage totes for all my gear and leave them on the ground outside or if I’m really worried, buy a cargo carrier and secure the totes on the top of the Bronco. Mines a hard top with factory roof rack already.

Here’s some more info on how I built this:

A circular saw, jig saw and drill is all iou should need! Might even be able to get away without the jig saw depending on how tight of a fit you want. I wanted mine to fit tight so I had a couple odd shaped cuts by the back tailgate to make it fit snug. This is more for looks and stability, not function. Upholstery was the hardest part and definitely not necessary. It does help avoid scratching the plastic and improves the look of it.

For supplies you’d need a 2x6x8 wood board, and a 3/4 thick 4x8 sheet of plywood. Plus 2 inch screws, black spray paint and a 20-40 inch continuous hinge.

I don’t have exact measurements right now, but the sections are all roughly 42.5 inches wide. You can back this down to 42 or even 41.5 if you want some room for error and less jig saw trimming.

the third hinged piece was the most difficult as it takes some measuring to figure out exactly how much clearance you need to clear the front seats and center armrest. Best practice is to start by making the main platform, then the middle piece, then it should give you a good measuring reference to make the last hinged piece. Once you have the last piece cut out, the hinge just screws on to the top side connecting the middle and front pieces.

You can see in the previous post that you need to notice the 2x6 supports to fit the contour of the floor rise to sit snug against the back seat when it’s in the upright position. You need a few inches of the support boards exposed to rest the middle platform section on.

Hope this helps! It was a fun little project That took me about a week working in the evenings after work. If your goal is functionality, I’m sure it could be done in an afternoon

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You might consider a honeycomb panel instead of plywood. More rigid and alot lighter weight. You have to finish the edges, maybe with a "U" Profile, but that could be a feature.

You have to do more homework - but you would end up with a higher performance and easier to use item.

https://thermhex.com/polykum-technology-blog-thermhex-pp-lightweight-honeycomb-panels-in-focus/

https://www.polyreflex.com/pid18299144/PP-Honeycomb-Panels.htm

So make the bed out of scrapped mic tops.

SDbase

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes this is for a 4 door. I think it’s an awesome alternative to a tent. I’m in South Dakota with lots of wind, so tent camping isn’t a good option, hence this set up. Honestly this seems to be a great alternative to a roof top tent. More secure, better insulated than most
RTTs, and WAY more economical (I know not as trendy). The issue is where do you put your stuff when you sleep in it. Personally I plan to get some lockable storage totes for all my gear and leave them on the ground outside or if I’m really worried, buy a cargo carrier and secure the totes on the top of the Bronco. Mines a hard top with factory roof rack already.

A circular saw, jig saw and drill is all iou should need! Might even be able to get away without the jig saw depending on how tight of a fit you want. I wanted mine to fit tight so I had a couple odd shaped cuts by the back tailgate to make it fit snug. This is more for looks and stability, not function. Upholstery was the hardest part and definitely not necessary. It does help avoid scratching the plastic and improves the look of it.

For supplies you’d need a 2x6x8 wood board, and a 3/4 thick 4x8 sheet of plywood. Plus 2 inch screws, black spray paint and a 20-40 inch continuous hinge.

I don’t have exact measurements right now, but the sections are all roughly 42.5 inches wide. You can back this down to 42 or even 41.5 if you want some room for error and less jig saw trimming.

the third hinged piece was the most difficult as it takes some measuring to figure out exactly how much clearance you need to clear the front seats and center armrest. Best practice is to start by making the main platform, then the middle piece, then it should give you a good measuring reference to make the last hinged piece. Once you have the last piece cut out, the hinge just screws on to the top side connecting the middle and front pieces.

You can see in the previous post that you need to notice the 2x6 supports to fit the contour of the floor rise to sit snug against the back seat when it’s in the upright position. You need a few inches of the support boards exposed to rest the middle platform section on.

Hope this helps! It was a fun little project That took me about a week working in the evenings after work. If your goal is functionality, I’m sure it could be done in an afternoon
Here’s the pic installed.

Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? BB6D244E-ADC1-4EC1-9674-7300EC1DB3E7

tdiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford F150, 2012 Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I built a sleeping platform for the top of the Ford Security Drawer. It worked really well with the Deepsleep Overland mats. I'm no longer using the Security Drawer and sleeping platform but it was definitely a cheaper alternative to the Goose Gear!
Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? 20220823_185004

Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? 20220823_185309

Sponsored

22Badskwatch

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

awesome, thanks so much... really curious about the dimensions of each of the 3 sections. will it all fit in the back area if you want to put the rear seats up?

SDbase

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? 6E0EC88F-0803-4D88-87C0-0B90CC65B086
awesome, thanks so much... really curious about the dimensions of each of the 3 sections. will it all fit in the back area if you want to put the rear seats up?
the base panel and middle panel are both 42.5 inches wide by 32 inches Long. The front panel is 42.5 inches wide and 12 inches deep. The bottom supports are 36 inches long and fit flush against the back of the back seats when they are In the upright position.

22Badskwatch

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? 6E0EC88F-0803-4D88-87C0-0B90CC65B086

the base panel and middle panel are both 42.5 inches wide by 32 inches Long. The front panel is 42.5 inches wide and 12 inches deep. The bottom supports are 36 inches long and fit flush against the back of the back seats when they are In the upright position.
perfect, thanks!!

OP
OP
robepa

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I built a sleeping platform for the top of the Ford Security Drawer. It worked really well with the Deepsleep Overland mats. I'm no longer using the Security Drawer and sleeping platform but it was definitely a cheaper alternative to the Goose Gear!

Looks like I am using the same rubber cover, I added L-Track as well for cargo managment.
Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? PXL_20230216_193054702

Azemotay

Badlands
First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4d Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you ever do anything else with the platform @Ropepa? Spring is here and I am ready to get things build to go camping :p
Sponsored