Sponsored

Sold my Bronco...thanks for all the collective knowledge on this forum!

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey folks! I just sold my Bronco last week...I really did enjoy it, and all of the knowledge I've gained from this forum help me sort out a lot of things on that Bronco. I initially took it to the dealer I bought it from and someone offered me $49,000 on it after I described everything I had done to it...I probably had 20 grand and upgrades but that includes the extended warranty. It was a Badlands Sasquatch with Lux, and at the time I paid 55 for it and today I believe they're around 64. As most dealers are guilty of, The 49,000 quote evaporated about 30 minutes before I was supposed to drive for my appointment...it then dropped to KBB value which was just under 45. I called around as many on the forum have suggested, and got quotes from Carvana, CarMax, KBB, and many other places. I still owed about 17K on it, so I didn't have a title in hand, and I realize that any dealer even if they did buy it would have held off on paying me until the title cleared. Carvana, on the other hand, and CarMax, will pay you the difference on the spot in a cashier's check or a ACH. CarMax offered me $35,000, and Carvana offered me $44,000. Because Carvana and CarMax only go by Blue book for their ballpark figures, I was able to take a lot of my upgrades off (some of which are still listed on this forum). I also canceled my warranty, and I'm supposed to get the larger part of that back. I have noticed that the prices have been dropping quickly on Broncos, which is unfortunate, and if anybody else is thinking of selling for whatever reason I just wanted to share the information regarding quotes. In my particular instance, I didn't feel so bad about getting wrecked on the resale because I bought another vehicle that somebody else also lost a lot of money on so I rationalize and figured it was a wash. The more I drove the Bronco the more I missed simpler times, when things that broke could be addressed pretty quickly without back ordered parts or buying subscriptions to things like FDRS and some of the equipment I just didn't have laying around the garage. Ford locks things down, as I noticed even because my neighbor who is a Ford tech said he doesn't even have access to use his laptop with FDRS at his house because none of the texts are given that level of access. My thoughts were eventually I was going to go with a stronger front rack, and he could have saved me a couple hundred bucks when I had the Ford performance tune if he would have had access to what he needed. I've been a mechanic for a long time and I've always enjoyed renting on the more primitive stuff, because even though it doesn't have all the creature comforts especially the technology of the later model stuff it is typically pretty ruggedly built. I was going to go with an early Bronco, but if you've been looking around at them most of the owners are expecting insane prices even for rust buckets... And what I found more often than not is something with a fresh paint job that looks great from 20 ft away and then when you figure out that it's already had floor panels replaced and rockers and door jambs and all that's really left is the general appearance of a Bronco and somebody wants $100,000 for it I just passed on that. The prices are coming down somewhat, but unless someone has cash in hand and just happens to find the right deal at the right time, finding something that's so popular is tough indeed for any kind of a decent deal. I also figured that if I were to buy an early Bronco, I would at the very least want air conditioning and some level of comfort so that my wife would still want to go wheeling with me, and I would also want something that you could drive on the freeway at least 70 mph without the rig jumping all over the place or twisting 4,000 RPM. That ruled out the stock early Broncos, because with a C4 or even a C6 or a three on the tree there aren't a lot of freeway speeds happening in those rigs unless somebody does some re-gearing and then loses some of the crawl ability. I figured at the very least if I had an early Bronco I'd want a 351, and an automatic with overdrive, or a five-speed manual, and I'd want at least power steering and four-wheel discs...again putting them out of my financial reach. Even when I was enjoying my Bronco, I was often checking out Facebook marketplace and classic car trader and some of the other places including craigslist looking for whatever and I stumbled across an FJ40 that seemed to be pretty much everything I wanted in a build. FJ40 seem to be much cheaper than early Broncos, and at least every bit is capable off-roading. They typically don't handle as well on the road, and because they never came with a V8 they couldn't hang with a 289 or a 302 on the highway...but because there's so much cheaper a lot can be done to them to get them to the point that makes them worthwhile for a daily and a trail machine. I ended up finding a unicorn, of sorts...an FJ that's pre-emissions with four-wheel disc, air conditioning, heated seats, power steering, an NV4500 transmission, 5.28 gears, an oddly enough a 351-based Dart block built to 427 specs...injected. so I still have a Ford, of sorts! I know that the amount of money the prior owner put into it versus what I paid for it was a wide gap so selling my Bronco at a loss stings (a little) less...
Ford Bronco Sold my Bronco...thanks for all the collective knowledge on this forum! Screenshot_20231215_153109_Gallery
Ford Bronco Sold my Bronco...thanks for all the collective knowledge on this forum! Screenshot_20231215_153121_Gallery
Ford Bronco Sold my Bronco...thanks for all the collective knowledge on this forum! Screenshot_20231213_130717_Gallery
Ford Bronco Sold my Bronco...thanks for all the collective knowledge on this forum! Screenshot_20231213_130710_Gallery
Ford Bronco Sold my Bronco...thanks for all the collective knowledge on this forum! Screenshot_20231213_130701_Gallery
Ford Bronco Sold my Bronco...thanks for all the collective knowledge on this forum! Screenshot_20231213_130628_Gallery

As a bonus I can tow it behind my RV... without the 27 steps required to tow a Bronco...and it is much lighter! Hoping to meet you out on the trails (and that you'll let me wheel with you because I have a Ford engine).
Sponsored

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco, and a trio of 80s GM's.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hey folks! I just sold my Bronco last week...I really did enjoy it, and all of the knowledge I've gained from this forum help me sort out a lot of things on that Bronco. I initially took it to the dealer I bought it from and someone offered me $49,000 on it after I described everything I had done to it...I probably had 20 grand and upgrades but that includes the extended warranty. It was a Badlands Sasquatch with Lux, and at the time I paid 55 for it and today I believe they're around 64. As most dealers are guilty of, The 49,000 quote evaporated about 30 minutes before I was supposed to drive for my appointment...it then dropped to KBB value which was just under 45. I called around as many on the forum have suggested, and got quotes from Carvana, CarMax, KBB, and many other places. I still owed about 17K on it, so I didn't have a title in hand, and I realize that any dealer even if they did buy it would have held off on paying me until the title cleared. Carvana, on the other hand, and CarMax, will pay you the difference on the spot in a cashier's check or a ACH. CarMax offered me $35,000, and Carvana offered me $44,000. Because Carvana and CarMax only go by Blue book for their ballpark figures, I was able to take a lot of my upgrades off (some of which are still listed on this forum). I also canceled my warranty, and I'm supposed to get the larger part of that back. I have noticed that the prices have been dropping quickly on Broncos, which is unfortunate, and if anybody else is thinking of selling for whatever reason I just wanted to share the information regarding quotes. In my particular instance, I didn't feel so bad about getting wrecked on the resale because I bought another vehicle that somebody else also lost a lot of money on so I rationalize and figured it was a wash. The more I drove the Bronco the more I missed simpler times, when things that broke could be addressed pretty quickly without back ordered parts or buying subscriptions to things like FDRS and some of the equipment I just didn't have laying around the garage. Ford locks things down, as I noticed even because my neighbor who is a Ford tech said he doesn't even have access to use his laptop with FDRS at his house because none of the texts are given that level of access. My thoughts were eventually I was going to go with a stronger front rack, and he could have saved me a couple hundred bucks when I had the Ford performance tune if he would have had access to what he needed. I've been a mechanic for a long time and I've always enjoyed renting on the more primitive stuff, because even though it doesn't have all the creature comforts especially the technology of the later model stuff it is typically pretty ruggedly built. I was going to go with an early Bronco, but if you've been looking around at them most of the owners are expecting insane prices even for rust buckets... And what I found more often than not is something with a fresh paint job that looks great from 20 ft away and then when you figure out that it's already had floor panels replaced and rockers and door jambs and all that's really left is the general appearance of a Bronco and somebody wants $100,000 for it I just passed on that. The prices are coming down somewhat, but unless someone has cash in hand and just happens to find the right deal at the right time, finding something that's so popular is tough indeed for any kind of a decent deal. I also figured that if I were to buy an early Bronco, I would at the very least want air conditioning and some level of comfort so that my wife would still want to go wheeling with me, and I would also want something that you could drive on the freeway at least 70 mph without the rig jumping all over the place or twisting 4,000 RPM. That ruled out the stock early Broncos, because with a C4 or even a C6 or a three on the tree there aren't a lot of freeway speeds happening in those rigs unless somebody does some re-gearing and then loses some of the crawl ability. I figured at the very least if I had an early Bronco I'd want a 351, and an automatic with overdrive, or a five-speed manual, and I'd want at least power steering and four-wheel discs...again putting them out of my financial reach. Even when I was enjoying my Bronco, I was often checking out Facebook marketplace and classic car trader and some of the other places including craigslist looking for whatever and I stumbled across an FJ40 that seemed to be pretty much everything I wanted in a build. FJ40 seem to be much cheaper than early Broncos, and at least every bit is capable off-roading. They typically don't handle as well on the road, and because they never came with a V8 they couldn't hang with a 289 or a 302 on the highway...but because there's so much cheaper a lot can be done to them to get them to the point that makes them worthwhile for a daily and a trail machine. I ended up finding a unicorn, of sorts...an FJ that's pre-emissions with four-wheel disc, air conditioning, heated seats, power steering, an NV4500 transmission, 5.28 gears, an oddly enough a 351-based Dart block built to 427 specs...injected. so I still have a Ford, of sorts! I know that the amount of money the prior owner put into it versus what I paid for it was a wide gap so selling my Bronco at a loss stings (a little) less...
Ford Bronco Sold my Bronco...thanks for all the collective knowledge on this forum! Screenshot_20231213_130628_Gallery

As a bonus I can tow it behind my RV... without the 27 steps required to tow a Bronco...and it is much lighter! Hoping to meet you out on the trails (and that you'll let me wheel with you because I have a Ford engine).
Hot damn.. talk about an upgrade! Well done sir.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Something to be said about having a vehicle that is easy to fix. Your FJ looks great! The older ones needed more work, but it was just work. Air, fuel, spark and boom! It’s running without all the nanny’s that seem to cause the newer ones not to work. I love my Heritage but god forbid when or if it craps out. I never had an old car leave me stranded for long.

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The prior owner did things right IMHO...he is an engineer, nearly 70 years young and he just wasn't using it much (it just lived in garage). He has receipts for the engine build (almost 30k), the fuel injection (8k), vintage AC/heat, PSC steering box and ram assist, on board air, ARB lockers, 29.5 gallon fuel tank with sump and fuel mat, professionally fabricated spring overs with anti-wrap rocker bar, tuned leaf packs, front and rear winches, tig welded radiator shroud with dual fans, cage, Orion t-case...he said 100k went into the build. It definitely feels a lot more primitive than the Bronco did, but when I fire it up I feel like Lane in the movie Better Off Dead (for those of us geezers who remember that movie) when he fired up his Camaro:

lil_mule_4x4

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I want my 2 dollars! I think that given the current state of our country, that the 80's were the "most free" generation time period to grow up in of the modern era. It makes me sad that we have arrived to where we are in such a short period of time.

Sponsored

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The prior owner did things right IMHO...he is an engineer, nearly 70 years young and he just wasn't using it much (it just lived in garage). He has receipts for the engine build (almost 30k), the fuel injection (8k), vintage AC/heat, PSC steering box and ram assist, on board air, ARB lockers, 29.5 gallon fuel tank with sump and fuel mat, professionally fabricated spring overs with anti-wrap rocker bar, tuned leaf packs, front and rear winches, tig welded radiator shroud with dual fans, cage, Orion t-case...he said 100k went into the build. It definitely feels a lot more primitive than the Bronco did, but when I fire it up I feel like Lane in the movie Better Off Dead (for those of us geezers who remember that movie) when he fired up his Camaro:

"I want my 2 dollars!"

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Carvana has been sending me offers about once a month and their offer is dropping faster than my remaining loan balance.

That should be a very solid rig for you. Early Bronco prices are falling too though, I've seen some realllly nice ones in the 30-50k range lately. I bought mine too soon and I'm seeing better ones for what I paid. 🤷

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I think the real question is will you allow your self to be seen with us....

That is really really sweet. I will be looking for you on the trails.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

killer rig that has the few annoyances I recall so well on mine removed. A major one is they do not like 70+ mph on the freeway in their stock form. Yours sounds like doing 80 all day is a walk in the park! Love the build, the guy went all out.

congrats man, back in the saddle with another FJ. Love the 6G bronco but this is definitely a step up in off-road prowess!!

Sponsored

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well played sir! you are going to have some serious fun in that rig! My Bronco Raptor will be your rig’s wingman anytime!

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Congrats!! Wife and I have really been kicking the tires on trading in the 6th gen for a truck and then picking up a true wheeler and something we can actually work/weld on (and not just bolt on…) ours 6yo son really loves stuff like that after watching some trail mater YT vids lol. Jealous!
Sponsored