swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
After 1 full year and significant drama along the way, right up to the end, I've finally taken delivery. Overall it's quite intoxicating and I have not even been wheeling yet. Much has been said about this truck in the media so I'm definitely not going to do any significant review or rehash, but some observations might be useful/interesting, perhaps to both those who already own and those still waiting.
  • The exhaust note is very good, especially for a turbo. Deep and throaty and the exhaust modes really work and make for significant changes to the overall loudness. Baja mode just rocks.
  • One primary function of the various GOAT modes is to alter many transmission software parameters - shift rpm, multi-shifts (up and down, will or won't), speed to trigger downshifts, both coast down and under braking, rev matching, etc. Unfortunately, this is not an independent adjustment like steering, suspension and exhaust - it should be.
  • Shifting when cruising mellow in Normal modes gets one into 10th gear remarkably quickly and at a very low speed.
  • Brake dive (one of my most significant gripes on my TRD Pro 4Runnner) is much less. I suspect braking affects shock damping in real time in the Raptor.
  • Significant lack of interior lighting, contrasted strongly by wonderful, bright and broad exterior lighting from the white lights aimed at the ground in the mirror housings. I'll also add an underhood and glovebox light at some point.
  • The base 7 speaker stereo really sucks. Serious lack of good clear treble. Music just sounds flat/muddy/dead. On the flip side I like auto speed dependent (i.e. noise dependent) volume and it works quite well.
  • I've been surprised by multiple "collision preparation" warnings when accelerating around curves with cars parked on the side. The sensitivity of this algorithm is way too high. Maybe this can be disabled.
  • The steering wheel is really thick, and in a good way. Orange stitching reminds me of BMW M/Porsche and magnesium shift paddles are icing on the cake, despite too much wobble when playing with them (not noticeable when actually using them).
  • The black fenders have a beautiful glitter like material embedded in them. Very subtle, except when clean, in bright sun and at the right angle. I suppose I should call this something more fitting like "metal flake", but it isn't, it really is like glitter. Love it or hate it, your Raptor is a big booty, glitter wearing rig.
  • MGV seats are definitely warm and we are obviously in our cool season. Low 70s and sunny today :LOL:.
  • Minor annoyances beat to death elsewhere (I can't resist...). Double honk when existing running vehicle, required seat belt "OK" button presses and auto stop start all suck and will be going away by Forscan or otherwise. My temporary A.S.S. fix is if you set a Raptor button mode, it can include disabling A.S.S. .
More to come after some real use - crawling and high speed desert time.

Ford Bronco Some, and some novel, Bronco Raptor first impressions Resized_20231220_095558_20231220_102054
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Congrats $ welcome! Sounds like it was worth the wait!

Blairwarlock

Raptor
First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover SVR Carbon, 911 GT3 Touring, 911 GT3RS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Welcome to the club. Best color choice and you donā€™t see many Raptors with MGV. Drive in good health!

Breptar

Raptor
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I am with you on lighting. I am going to order the IAG dome light kit. Itā€™s reasonably priced imo. I havenā€™t gotten on mine just yet, wanted to wait to about 500 miles before I put the pedal to the floor, but so far she had some scoot. The sport mode down shifts are a bit harsh, but thatā€™s fine with me. Iā€™ll probably do the Whipple cal down the road.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Congrats!

Some counterpoints:

• I understand wanting the parameters to be independently adjustable, but Ford can't have the liability of a Raptor in Baja mode at speed with Rock Crawl steering ratio... flips on flips.
  • The collision warnings are insane!
  • I had problems with MGV (Badlands) and they have virtually gone away after a year... I think I just became conscious of where I park relative to the sun. No tint yet, but 3M Crystalline looks good.
  • I still can't believe how many people leave a running vehicle, haha
I think you got the best color even if I'm not a fan of those fenders. Enjoy and update us!

Sponsored
OP
OP
swamp2

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Congrats!
Thanks.

• I understand wanting the parameters to be independently adjustable, but Ford can't have the liability of a Raptor in Baja mode at speed with Rock Crawl steering ratio... flips on flips.
  • I had problems with MGV (Badlands) and they have virtually gone away after a year... I think I just became conscious of where I park relative to the sun. No tint yet, but 3M Crystalline looks good
You can do Baja mode and then change the steering mode independently. They just left of the transmission modes. Everything else in independent.

I don't think steering modes change overall movement ratio, just the amount of "boost".

Have you done a warranty claim on the seats? That's sad. FMC claims all of the MGV as ultra durable, waterproof, weather proof, etc.

OP
OP
swamp2

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I am with you on lighting. I am going to order the IAG dome light kit. Itā€™s reasonably priced imo. I havenā€™t gotten on mine just yet, wanted to wait to about 500 miles before I put the pedal to the floor, but so far she had some scoot. The sport mode down shifts are a bit harsh, but thatā€™s fine with me. Iā€™ll probably do the Whipple cal down the road.
My IAGs are ready to go. I've got about 350 miles now and have been sneaking up on 5k rpm. No WOT yet. I am undecided on break in, I have heard anecdotes from both sides of the camps and both are fully committed to their beliefs. What does the manual say?

I'm definitely going to Whipple mine as well.

Have you noticed that 5th gear is significantly rougher than all other gears when in Sport? Both upshifts and downshifts are for me. However, if I use the paddles and lots of right foot, the shifts smooth out. 5th is a real odd ball for me.

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

My IAGs are ready to go. I've got about 350 miles now and have been sneaking up on 5k rpm. No WOT yet. I am undecided on break in, I have heard anecdotes from both sides of the camps and both are fully committed to their beliefs. What does the manual say?

I'm definitely going to Whipple mine as well.

Have you noticed that 5th gear is significantly rougher than all other gears when in Sport? Both upshifts and downshifts are for me. However, if I use the paddles and lots of right foot, the shifts smooth out. 5th is a real odd ball for me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed the odd shifting of 5th gear in sport mode..... I was thinking I'd have to take in to document it as evidence if/when the tranny goes.

ThatWilsonGuy

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Raptor | 23' BL SAS | Sport FE (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I was certain I was going to swap the fenders with fiberglass or carbon fiber replacements but the factory ones have really grown on me.

I have the Mabett interior lights and they solve the lighting issue. Mine exhibit the behavior of getting confused in mixed light conditions. Sometimes they turn don't turn on, sometimes they take several minutes to turn off but dealing with that is better than darkness. I'm also glad I did the color floor light mod.

I'm still holding out hope for a Ford Performance tune. Throttle response in sport mode is better but shifts get wonky.

Ford Bronco Some, and some novel, Bronco Raptor first impressions 1000004481

Derrick

Raptor
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor, 2010 Audi R8 V10
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Nice review and spot on. My 6 month review is much the same. the s/show I went through for 450 days kinda left a scar as it is always my first talking point.
I am pleasantly surprised so far as that I was expecting a dog power wise with the 37's as my 21 F150 Raptor had to be driven in sport mode. My Bronco responds quite nice in Sport mode and makes it feel it is not as heavy as it looks.JMO
My concerns are that the flares and wheels that stick that far out that I might be more incline to catch a curb as in turning at an intersection I might catch the center island when there is one with the left front wheel as I cannot see the flare at all and the A pillar blocks the view and consciously make a little wider turn, but have had no problems and just a matter of getting use to it and if I did hit the island it can handle it..

Sponsored

BronxRaptor

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
After 1 full year and significant drama along the way, right up to the end, I've finally taken delivery. Overall it's quite intoxicating and I have not even been wheeling yet. Much has been said about this truck in the media so I'm definitely not going to do any significant review or rehash, but some observations might be useful/interesting, perhaps to both those who already own and those still waiting.
  • The exhaust note is very good, especially for a turbo. Deep and throaty and the exhaust modes really work and make for significant changes to the overall loudness. Baja mode just rocks.
  • One primary function of the various GOAT modes is to alter many transmission software parameters - shift rpm, multi-shifts (up and down, will or won't), speed to trigger downshifts, both coast down and under braking, rev matching, etc. Unfortunately, this is not an independent adjustment like steering, suspension and exhaust - it should be.
  • Shifting when cruising mellow in Normal modes gets one into 10th gear remarkably quickly and at a very low speed.
  • Brake dive (one of my most significant gripes on my TRD Pro 4Runnner) is much less. I suspect braking affects shock damping in real time in the Raptor.
  • Significant lack of interior lighting, contrasted strongly by wonderful, bright and broad exterior lighting from the white lights aimed at the ground in the mirror housings. I'll also add an underhood and glovebox light at some point.
  • The base 7 speaker stereo really sucks. Serious lack of good clear treble. Music just sounds flat/muddy/dead. On the flip side I like auto speed dependent (i.e. noise dependent) volume and it works quite well.
  • I've been surprised by multiple "collision preparation" warnings when accelerating around curves with cars parked on the side. The sensitivity of this algorithm is way too high. Maybe this can be disabled.
  • The steering wheel is really thick, and in a good way. Orange stitching reminds me of BMW M/Porsche and magnesium shift paddles are icing on the cake, despite too much wobble when playing with them (not noticeable when actually using them).
  • The black fenders have a beautiful glitter like material embedded in them. Very subtle, except when clean, in bright sun and at the right angle. I suppose I should call this something more fitting like "metal flake", but it isn't, it really is like glitter. Love it or hate it, your Raptor is a big booty, glitter wearing rig.
  • MGV seats are definitely warm and we are obviously in our cool season. Low 70s and sunny today :LOL:.
  • Minor annoyances beat to death elsewhere (I can't resist...). Double honk when existing running vehicle, required seat belt "OK" button presses and auto stop start all suck and will be going away by Forscan or otherwise. My temporary A.S.S. fix is if you set a Raptor button mode, it can include disabling A.S.S. .

Congrats and welcome to the big fender club! šŸ˜Ž

Braptorx

Raptor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor, 2020 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm blown away by it. I've had an f150 raptor for 4 years and it seems positively agricultural compared to the bronco raptor. Even the wife likes it. Im only in 400 km and haven't given it full beans. I was told only to 120kmh until 500km. I think the seats are very similar in support. I think the shifts are smooth and Im surprised by how good the exhaust sounds. I hope my love affair continues but right now I can't get enough. I think it's great.

APEX REX

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor and 21 2D Base 2.7 SAS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
@swamp2

I know we got our Braptors a few days apart and your assessments are spot on. I love mine. Night and day difference between our 2 door 2.7 sas base. The Braptor is badass in so many ways and well worth the wait for it. Regards

OP
OP
swamp2

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Herewegoagain

Badlands
First Name
Maxemus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very nice truck! I hope you get to put it to the test off roading!
Sponsored