First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
FYI. You don’t have to turn the brake off. Just apply a little throttle. Automatically disengages. I prefer the Maverick location on the console. You don’t have to look for it. Maverick also applied it automatically if on enough of a grade. Not sure if the Bronco does.
After some informal (non-Scientific) testing, it seems that the three times I have gotten the brake warning light (2.3 7m) I did not disengage the brake with the switch, I applied a little throttle like you said and it automatically disengaged. I have made it a point since to disengage the brake with the switch and I have not had the warning since. Coincidence? Maybe, but from now on I will push the switch. We have a Maverick as well and I too like the switch in the console. The Bronco also has hill-hold, very handy where we live.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
MIne was built 9/13/22 and it hinges at the top.
Mine looks identical to yours, Base, HPR, 7MT.

I erred earlier, mine was actually built in August. (I received it in Oct)
Never got a baby pic either.

hinges at the top.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Bronco also has hill-hold, very handy where we live.
I turned that off before I left the dealership lot.

30 years of driving stick shifts, I don't need one acting goofy and putting on a brake when my foot isn't on the brake pedal.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Definitely different between my March 22 built badlands and my 23 Wildtrak. I kept reaching down for it and thought they left it off! Then noticed it was flipped.

Reactions: FRM

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You know what wouldn't break? An actual mechanical handbrake. You know what wouldn't break if it just had to be electric? A simple rocker switch.
Have you ever had an old truck where you can't use the mechanical e-brake because you know it won't release due to all of the rust built up on the cables?

Even the recent F-150s used a lever between the brake cable and shoes that would often freeze up and lock the ebrake on.

Ford Bronco Something doesn't seem right...... 1671816262474

My mechanical ebrake footpedal went out of adjustment to the point that I had to physically lift the pedal up to get it to register that the brake was released. I finally had to go in an reset the spring, cable, and pawl positions so it would behave properly.

Lots to go wrong in a mechanical system at every step.

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I turned that off before I left the dealership lot.

30 years of driving stick shifts, I don't need one acting goofy and putting on a brake when my foot isn't on the brake pedal.
I just like not having to heel and toe it or partially release the clutch to hold without rolling back.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You know what wouldn't break? An actual mechanical handbrake. You know what wouldn't break if it just had to be electric? A simple rocker switch.
This has got to be the stupidest design for an emergency/parking brake that I have seen to date. Can you imagine trying to use this in a situation where you needed an emergency brake at highway speeds while trying to control the vehicle?

Someone needs to be flogged over the positioning and ergonomics of that alone.

I still love my Bronco, but this was a huge mistake.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you ever had an old truck where you can't use the mechanical e-brake because you know it won't release due to all of the rust built up on the cables?

Even the recent F-150s used a lever between the brake cable and shoes that would often freeze up and lock the ebrake on.

1671816262474.png

My mechanical ebrake footpedal went out of adjustment to the point that I had to physically lift the pedal up to get it to register that the brake was released. I finally had to go in an reset the spring, cable, and pawl positions so it would behave properly.

Lots to go wrong in a mechanical system at every step.
Old trucks in the rust belt have lots of problems. Electric e-brakes are going to lock up under those conditions too.

This has got to be the stupidest design for an emergency/parking brake that I have seen to date. Can you imagine trying to use this in a situation where you needed an emergency brake at highway speeds while trying to control the vehicle?

Someone needs to be flogged over the positioning and ergonomics of that alone.

I still love my Bronco, but this was a huge mistake.
I have very few gripes about the Bronco, but I agree this could have been done better. But I'll live with it.

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Old trucks in the rust belt have lots of problems. Electric e-brakes are going to lock up under those conditions too.
Yeah I never said they wouldn't. But historically, mechanical e-brakes are extremely prone to fault and failure, unlike what you said.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah I never said they wouldn't. But historically, mechanical e-brakes are extremely prone to neglect.
Fixed it for you. A little maintenance goes a long way.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Can you imagine trying to use this in a situation where you needed an emergency brake at highway speeds while trying to control the vehicle?
No, because it was clearly never designed to be used for this. It’s a parking brake.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
In the vehicles with handle style, pull up e-brake i would put on the brake and the wife could not release it.

Over the years her hand strength got less and less to the point she had to retire. She loves the electric e-brake.

My e-brake pivots at the top. April of '22 build.

Dzrt1st

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BadSquatch, Toyota Tundra, RX7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, because it was clearly never designed to be used for this. It’s a parking brake.
Actually it was designed for emergency braking also per page 208 of the owners manual.
Sponsored