Sponsored

Squeaking brakes? (FORD ignoring this problem!!)

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Have any of you torn into the brakes? They're pretty simple but could be as simple as cleaning rotor or pad surface, lubeing the slide pins or guides. I wouldn't trust your average dealer to fix squat unless there's a code to guide them. Even then it's questionable in my experience.

Really though, brakes are pretty simple, go watch a YouTube video or two. South Main Auto is a good place to start... DIY and you'll learn something and save money.
Sponsored

FakeSnake

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Same squeaking issue with my 3k mile Bronco. Squeaks at every cold start for a few miles. Going in to dealership on Tuesday but not hopeful it’ll result in a fix but fingers crossed.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Mine started squeaking at 1800 miles. I hate it. My Escape did the same thing and I was thrilled that with a new vehicle wouldn’t have to deal with squeaky brakes. Guess it’ll be a trip to the dealer, weeks to get an appointment.
Hi there! If you can send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information, I can look into things on my end.

cgv

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badsquatch, Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine have been squeaking for the first mile or so of driving every day for about 2 months now. Of course, they didn't do it once the week I took it in to the dealer, so they weren't able to replicate it. My dealer is willing to play ball though, so I will have them look into it next time I take it in.

The one thing they told me is there is actually a TSB out there that instructs them NOT to turn down the rotos for squeaking but that it didn't really provide more than that. They said they weren't sure of an actual solution yet though.

FakeSnake

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Same issue as CGV. Dealer mentioned TSB regarding squeaking while reversing which isn’t really my issue. All that said:

Dropped the car off at the dealership and went to pick it up same day. Dealership said they fixed the issue but unfortunately I have a new squeak as a result of the repair. Whenever I turn right I hear a faint squeaking noise. It almost seems as though the sound is coming from load transferring to one side of the car when I’m turning. What started off as a small problem has devolved into a more persistent problem. I’ll need to bring back to the dealership to address.

Sponsored

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There was somebody on here that had squeaky brakes too, turned out it was a little pebble stuck between the caliper and the rotor, or something like that.

Broncobilly51

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus,Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My bronco has been making squeaky noises for 3 months now I didn’t think it was the brakes though I’m going to schedule another appointment because this makes no sense a vehicle with 3000 miles squeaking like this and it is embarrassing!

OP
OP
boomboomthump

boomboomthump

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Have any of you torn into the brakes? They're pretty simple but could be as simple as cleaning rotor or pad surface, lubeing the slide pins or guides. I wouldn't trust your average dealer to fix squat unless there's a code to guide them. Even then it's questionable in my experience.

Really though, brakes are pretty simple, go watch a YouTube video or two. South Main Auto is a good place to start... DIY and you'll learn something and save money.

I appreciate that this comment was well-intended but I'm an expert level mechanic and fabricator. I tear cars (and motorcycles) down to bare metal and do full rebuilds/restores and parts fabrication/welding myself. I rebuild motors and transmissions myself as well. There is nothing that fiddling with the brakes is going to solve.

There is only one thing at play here... whoever Ford selected to OEM supply these brake pads spec'd pads that are creating squealing noises when the brakes are applied. The only resolution is Ford acknowledging the problem and replacing the brake pads with new/updated part numbers that works better in conjunction with the rotors.

This is often a problem with aftermarket/performance brake pads when you deviate from OEM. In this case, Ford and their supplier messed up and they are ignoring the problem. Right now it seems they are still playing dumb and in the "we haven't heard of this issue" camp. Which is total BS. Seems like they have this problem with other vehicles as well.

I'd be curious if someone takes up a class action suit. But this is honestly so INFURIATINGLY EMBARRASSING on a brand new vehicle that I cannot wait that long. And since Ford has no solution, I may go the route of just trying my own aftermarket pads.

Anyone happen to know who makes these pads for Ford on the Broncos? (so we can try something else)

MWILD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 - BB Sasquatch - Mid - 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Mine squeak as well. I figured it had to do with all of the mud I’ve been playing in.

Rocktight

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine started about 4000 mile mark. I’m a little over 5k now. It’s the first brake or two and then it goes away.

Sponsored
OP
OP
boomboomthump

boomboomthump

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Most of us started off that way. It progresses to a constant noise under all conditions.

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Many modern brake pads, (especially OEM), have a tendency to squeal after a lot of brake dragging activities, like driving in traffic or off-road. It's the brake dust building up. I've tried a lot of different pads over the years, unfortunately I've found that the pads with the least squeal and dust are also the weakest performers. Fortunately there's an easy solution, run the car up to about 25 mph and stomp the brakes. After a couple of times, they'll be clean for a while.

The other thing to keep in mind is don't drag the brakes if there's another choice. Brakes turn the kinetic energy of the wheel rotation into heat, if you build up too much heat in the pads you can change their properties and make them squeal horribly, at which point changing the pads is your only option. Go to a short circle track and listen to the cars during yellow flags, the brake squeal is horrible after the pads have cooled.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There was somebody on here that had squeaky brakes too, turned out it was a little pebble stuck between the caliper and the rotor, or something like that.
I've experienced the same thing a couple times. Squealing without applying the brakes. I just drive in reverse 100' or so and it clears itself, with maybe a few light taps on the brakes.

I've had the same issue with other vehicles too, just part of what you listen for when driving a lot of gravel.

kimmiemom64

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Mine started the dreaded squealing at around 5500 miles. I drive mostly highway miles, but when I do have to stop, it makes me cringe. I have always used Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramic brake pads and NEVER had a vehicle squeal. Not sure yet if I can get this brand for the Bronco, but as soon as I can, I will be changing them out. I can't stand vehicle noises that shouldn't be... Ford. Are you listening?

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Same issue as CGV. Dealer mentioned TSB regarding squeaking while reversing which isn’t really my issue. All that said:

Dropped the car off at the dealership and went to pick it up same day. Dealership said they fixed the issue but unfortunately I have a new squeak as a result of the repair. Whenever I turn right I hear a faint squeaking noise. It almost seems as though the sound is coming from load transferring to one side of the car when I’m turning. What started off as a small problem has devolved into a more persistent problem. I’ll need to bring back to the dealership to address.
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.
Sponsored