Sponsored

Stick to Maintenance Schedule or Get Serviced Early?

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just a PSA: you can add your own oil changes you do to your Ford pass account. I do this and add the date and even the receipt number with where I purchased the oil in case dealer ever has issues. But it's an easy way to track the oil changes you do at home.

And about oils being better than in the 70's, this is correct. But with that said these turbo engines love to degrade oil quicker than NA engines. I personally won't go past 6k miles but I also do it myself so costs me like $30, good piece of mind knowing I have fresh oil and it's viscosity hasn't gone to crap during cold months.
Sponsored

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have stuck to the 5,000 miles mark (or close to it) with my ranger for the past 2.5 years. Doesn't hurt to get the tires rotated and fresh fluids but it could hurt to not.

diggs44060

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lo
Reminds me my Mustang is way over due for an oil change but my Bronco says it'll be here within the week and I'm trading the mustang in sooooo...I'll hold off 🤣
Lol..after 21 months of waightn my badsquatch is comen up 19th..and I decided to hold off on my 19 mustang gt's oil change under 5k original miles as well being I'm gona trade it in for bronco..that dam 3rd gen coyote holds 10quarts of synthetic oil

hoss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Does anyone have a mismatch between the oil life numbers shown in the Bronco vs on the FordPass app? On mine right now the Bronco is at 17% life on the dash and at 0% on the app.

Planet_Express_IV

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Does anyone have a mismatch between the oil life numbers shown in the Bronco vs on the FordPass app? On mine right now the Bronco is at 17% life on the dash and at 0% on the app.
The app and back end often lose contact with the vehicle or something, it seems to be a known glitch, but they haven't fixed it yet.

Sponsored

Derbystud

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F250 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
To me oil is the cheapest insurance you can buy. Why wait until 10k to change it. I have seen several 10k oil changes at my shop that are sludge that will barely drain out. Penz and quaker state are the absolute worst oil. Both are so full of wax and it builds up inside the engine. Do you not have insurance because you probably won't need it? I will keep my insurance and change my oil often.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since the road trip is coming up and the oil has aged , I'd go ahead and change it.

It used to be 3k/3months ... the claim was the additives begin breaking down once the oil is exposed to the environment... not to mention used a little bit.
I don't know how true that is now, or then actually. I worked at an oil change place back then! LOL

I've done 5k OCI for literally decades now. Several 150k+ vehicles. Never any oil neglected related damage.

Check out https://bobistheoilguy.com/ if you are really interested in oil tech.

Early oil changes will never harm a motor. Think of it as cheap insurance.
The turbo will appreciate fresh oil.

Short drive mileage is harsher on the oil also. The oil never gets hot.
Bringing it up to a high temp allows some impurities to boil off ... moisture and/or fuel that made it past the rings.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I ever get mine, I'll do my first oil change early right after I pass the 1k mile break-in. After that, I'll follow Ford's recommended interval.
LOL, I thought the same thing ... ended up zooming right past the 1k mark and just did a 5k oil change at that point.
I just reached 10k and had the OC a few weeks ago.

Everything I have read has indicated that a "break in" oil change is not needed at all .... but it certainly will not hurt.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I did my first oil change at 2k and second at 5 or 6k. Will follow every 5k from here on. I do a 5 tire rotation at the same time, every time, as well.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Some people feel compelled to change the oil way earlier than actually necessary. The owner's manual says 10,000 under ideal conditions, but 5000-7500 if you do a lot of off road driving. I'm past 5000, and will have it done at 7500.

My 2014 Escape says 7500 miles and that's when we've changed it every time. We're at 106,000 miles currently and the engine still runs like new and doesn't use a drop of oil.

The newer engines are way better than the ones from a few decades back. You don't have to do much at all to break them in when new and you can go way longer between oil changes, as long as you put the right oil in them.

I don't listen to the people who want to treat current engines like the ones from the 1960's.

Sponsored

FDHog

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat FX4, 22 Road Glide ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been doing all my engines with full synthetic every 5K miles. I do my Raptor myself. Easy with a Fumoto valve. The Bronco will go to dealer. I have a crapload of reward points and don't have anything else to use them on.

ryn0s3r1

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tundra 1794 Edition 4X4, 2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just had the local Ford shop do my first oil and filter change at just under 1K miles.

Big L 65

Outer Banks
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey all,

The maintenance schedule through FordPass is telling me the first service visit is at 10,000 miles (2021 Badlands). I'm currently at 4,000 and planning a ~1k mile trip up into the Smokey Mountains. Should I wait and follow the listed schedule or would y'all recommend getting the car serviced prior to the trip? I've always changed oil at 5k on previous vehicles so this struck me as a little strange. Advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Change the oil right after break in and then every 5-6k after .

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just a PSA: you can add your own oil changes you do to your Ford pass account. I do this and add the date and even the receipt number with where I purchased the oil in case dealer ever has issues. But it's an easy way to track the oil changes you do at home.

And about oils being better than in the 70's, this is correct. But with that said these turbo engines love to degrade oil quicker than NA engines. I personally won't go past 6k miles but I also do it myself so costs me like $30, good piece of mind knowing I have fresh oil and it's viscosity hasn't gone to crap during cold months.
Good call. I had been using CarFax to track my receipts and maintenance history, but I just uploaded it to FordPass too. I assume dealers can see those records.

I changed mine at 1200 to get synthetic in the sump. And again at 5k to get on regular 5k round intervals. Did another at 10k. Ecoboost engines like to dilute the oil with fuel and you want to keep the timing chains & cam phasers happy on a 2.7L. I'm sure following the recommended maintenance will get you through your warranty period but I plan to keep this past 100k miles. My last truck went to 242k miles before I sold it.

For example: My wife's car says it has "lifetime" automatic transmission fluid. However, if you drive severe service (basically stop & go, short trips, etc - normal stuff) they say change it at 60k. There is no such thing as lifetime fluid. They just use it for marketing to say "lowest cost of ownership!".

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
There is no reason to change oil after 1k anymore. This is old school thinking and a waste of money. This is not a 1966 bronco. Tolerances are 1000% better now.
Sponsored